List Mgmt. 2018 Draft/Trade/FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eddie made the biggest song and dance about COLA, and then water free agency.
The league rolled over like always and before you know it his team is full of GWS players, and both Qld teams struggling to retain theirs due to lack of success.
We just need to start winning.
Easier said than done unfortunately considering the level of this playing field. Clarkson's little coffee with Gil the other day highlights the pro-vic bias amongst senior AFL ranks. The rest of us are just here to boost the TV rights.

At our half way mark thinking the players to make way next year will be:

Rosa
Rischa
Barlow
Leslie
Lonergan
Willis

Potential Trade/FA

Hall
Lynch

Rookie Upgrade

McPherson

Looking at our demographics if all these players were to go to see what our list experience looks like:

28+ - 2 (Hanley + Harbrow)
25-27 - 9
22-24 - 7 + 1 rookie (Holman) = 8
21 and under - 17 + 4 rookies + 5 draftees = 26

I don't know how these demographics compares to the better sides but thinking we are still 2 years until the guys around 22-23 now are coming into their peak (Martin, 2MP, Miller, Weller) and the 19 y/o kids have got 50 games into them and able to make consistent contributions

Last edited:

Rosa
Rischa
Barlow
Leslie
Lonergan
Willis

Potential Trade/FA

Hall
Lynch

Rookie Upgrade

McPherson

Looking at our demographics if all these players were to see what our list experience looks like:

25-27 - 9

I don't know how these demographics compares to the better sides but thinking we are still 2 years until the guys around 22-23 now are coming into their peak (Martin, 2MP, Miller, Weller) and the 19 y/o kids have got 50 games into them and able to make consistent contributions
Bit soon to call Lonergan and Leslie. The former was quite good before injury and the latter held Watts to very lean figures today. Both were 1st rounders and Leslie in particular would be worth a high draft pick in a trade. Agree that it is time for the old fellas to go, but also agree with Rischa's continued selection in the team. I'm actually more in favour of Young and Holman being let go because they aren't really long term options and I'd much rather see the 2016 draft class get a prolonged run in their places. Interesting analysis and you can add a few more names to the potential trade list if the season continues to go southward. Thinking more like 3 Rookies and the rest depends on the Trade period.

Bit soon to call Lonergan and Leslie. The former was quite good before injury and the latter held Watts to very lean figures today. Both were 1st rounders and Leslie in particular would be worth a high draft pick in a trade. Agree that it is time for the old fellas to go, but also agree with Rischa's continued selection in the team. I'm actually more in favour of Young and Holman being let go because they aren't really long term options and I'd much rather see the 2016 draft class get a prolonged run in their places. Interesting analysis and you can add a few more names to the potential trade list if the season continues to go southward. Thinking more like 3 Rookies and the rest depends on the Trade period.

The 4 rookies is based on the ages of the current rookies if we kept all of those on the list

Both were 1st rounders and Leslie in particular would be worth a high draft pick in a trade.
I actually don't mind him and would be more than happy to hang onto him. I'm not sure he's worth close to a high draft pick though if he did move on. Maybe a pick 35-45. If that draft was held again he'd prob go around that pick.

Rosa
Rischa
Barlow
Leslie
Lonergan
Willis

Potential Trade/FA

Hall
Lynch

Rookie Upgrade

McPherson

Looking at our demographics if all these players were to go to see what our list experience looks like:

25-27 - 9

For the purpose of comparison this is the age demographic of the Hawthorn list:

28+ - 12
25-27 - 7
22-24 - 10
21 and under - 16

The main take from this is that Hawthorn have 10 more players than us on their list that are aged 22+

For the purpose of comparison this is the age demographic of the Hawthorn list:

28+ - 12
25-27 - 7
22-24 - 10
21 and under - 16

The main take from this is that Hawthorn have 10 more players than us on their list that are aged 22+
That 12 above 28 is why they are competitive all the time, in a couple years time they will struggle a lot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of interest I decided to see how much better we are now that we have replaced Scott Clayton with Craig Cameron and got lost down a rabbit hole checking on his draft history. Please be aware that the following may shock readers (especially if you are old enough to recall any of the below names):

I have also added my personal gradings of his performance relative to the talent available in the relevant draft.

Melbourne (National List and Recruiting Manager 1997 - 2007)

1997 - #1 Travis Johnstone #22 Troy Longmuir #39 Matthew Blake (Adam Goodes at #43) #50 Luke Ottens #66 Luke Brown #77 Guy Rigoni - Grade C
1998 - #13 Chris Lamb #60 Luke Speers #72 Luke Taylor - Grade F
1999 - #19 Brad Green #20 Paul Wheatley #42 Michael Clark #50 Matthew Wheelan #64 Cameron Bruce - Grade A
2000 - #16 Scott Thompson #62 Daniel Breese #73 Ross Funke - Grade B+
2001 (AKA the super draft) - #9 Luke Molan #25 Steven Armstrong #26 Aaron Rogers #55 Brad Miller - Grade E
2002 -#14 Daniel Bell #15 Nick Smith #26 Jared Rivers #39 Gary Moorcroft (only played 3 games for Melb) #54 Cameron Hunter #66 Ryan Ferguson - Grade E
2003 - #3 Colin Sylvia #5 Brock McLean #36 Christopher Johnson - Grade B
2004 - #13 Matthew Bate #15 Lynden Dunn #43 Michael Newton - Grade C
2005 - #12 Nathan Jones #53 Simon Buckley #60 Clint Bartram #68 Heath Neville - Grade C
2006 - #12 James Frawley #30 Ricky Pettard #46 Colin Garland #62 Isaac Weetra - Grade B-
2007 - #4 Cale Morton #14 Jack Grimes #21 Adam Marric #53 Kyle Cheeney #66 Tom McNamara - Grade E

Richmond (GM Football 2008 -2013)

2008 - #8 Vickery #26 Jayden Post #58 Tom Hislop - grade E
2009 - #3 Dustin Martin #19 Ben Griffiths #35 Astbury #44 Matt Dea #71 Ben Nason - Martin A+ / Rest C
2010 - #6 Conca #30 Batchelor #47 Helbig #51 Dean Macdonald - F
2011 - #15 Brandon Ellis #26 Todd Elton #55 Matt Arnott - E
2012 - #9 Vlaustin #33 Liam McBean #42 Matthew McDonough - E

My personal rating is that he has been at the helm of a club for 16 seasons and has completely bombed in the draft 8 times (and 5 out of his last 6 attempts) and I would rate him a B or better in 4 out of 16 years.

In summary WTF is this bloke still in the football industry and getting jobs, then burning bridges to get more cash at the Suns

He left footy (prior to getting the sack I would assume) to head up a now infamous horse racing syndicate, which makes me question not just his drafting judgement, but his judgement in general

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/s...k/news-story/598a497c4058cf5e1f56f8d707cd2403

This bloke makes Scott Clayton look like Vince Lombardi - I think I'm going curl up into the fetal position and pray this bloke is not involved in the drafting and trading of talent for the Suns as I am truly afraid.

Out of interest I decided to see how much better we are now that we have replaced Scott Clayton with Craig Cameron and got lost down a rabbit hole checking on his draft history. Please be aware that the following may shock readers (especially if you are old enough to recall any of the below names):

I have also added my personal gradings of his performance relative to the talent available in the relevant draft.

Melbourne (National List and Recruiting Manager 1997 - 2007)

1997 - #1 Travis Johnstone #22 Troy Longmuir #39 Matthew Blake (Adam Goodes at #43) #50 Luke Ottens #66 Luke Brown #77 Guy Rigoni - Grade C
1998 - #13 Chris Lamb #60 Luke Speers #72 Luke Taylor - Grade F
1999 - #19 Brad Green #20 Paul Wheatley #42 Michael Clark #50 Matthew Wheelan #64 Cameron Bruce - Grade A
2000 - #16 Scott Thompson #62 Daniel Breese #73 Ross Funke - Grade B+
2001 (AKA the super draft) - #9 Luke Molan #25 Steven Armstrong #26 Aaron Rogers #55 Brad Miller - Grade E
2002 -#14 Daniel Bell #15 Nick Smith #26 Jared Rivers #39 Gary Moorcroft (only played 3 games for Melb) #54 Cameron Hunter #66 Ryan Ferguson - Grade E
2003 - #3 Colin Sylvia #5 Brock McLean #36 Christopher Johnson - Grade B
2004 - #13 Matthew Bate #15 Lynden Dunn #43 Michael Newton - Grade C
2005 - #12 Nathan Jones #53 Simon Buckley #60 Clint Bartram #68 Heath Neville - Grade C
2006 - #12 James Frawley #30 Ricky Pettard #46 Colin Garland #62 Isaac Weetra - Grade B-
2007 - #4 Cale Morton #14 Jack Grimes #21 Adam Marric #53 Kyle Cheeney #66 Tom McNamara - Grade E

Richmond (GM Football 2008 -2013)

2008 - #8 Vickery #26 Jayden Post #58 Tom Hislop - grade E
2009 - #3 Dustin Martin #19 Ben Griffiths #35 Astbury #44 Matt Dea #71 Ben Nason - Martin A+ / Rest C
2010 - #6 Conca #30 Batchelor #47 Helbig #51 Dean Macdonald - F
2011 - #15 Brandon Ellis #26 Todd Elton #55 Matt Arnott - E
2012 - #9 Vlaustin #33 Liam McBean #42 Matthew McDonough - E

My personal rating is that he has been at the helm of a club for 16 seasons and has completely bombed in the draft 8 times (and 5 out of his last 6 attempts) and I would rate him a B or better in 4 out of 16 years.

In summary WTF is this bloke still in the football industry and getting jobs, then burning bridges to get more cash at the Suns

He left footy (prior to getting the sack I would assume) to head up a now infamous horse racing syndicate, which makes me question not just his drafting judgement, but his judgement in general

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/s...k/news-story/598a497c4058cf5e1f56f8d707cd2403

This bloke makes Scott Clayton look like Vince Lombardi - I think I'm going curl up into the fetal position and pray this bloke is not involved in the drafting and trading of talent for the Suns as I am truly afraid.
Don't worry 2-3 pick first Rd and other all GC academy most probably trading away third for players who contract end this year.

Thought I'd chime in with a couple suggestions as to bargain pick ups in the off season to bolster our blue collar midfield.

A couple I'd like us to look at are Brayden Sier, Rupert Wills, Nic Newman and Dan Robinson.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Thought I'd chime in with a couple suggestions as to bargain pick ups in the off season to bolster our blue collar midfield.

A couple I'd like us to look at are Brayden Sier, Rupert Wills, Nic Newman and Dan Robinson.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk
Newman huge yes. Already out of the Melbourne bubble and would benefit from more playing time.
Sier interesting. hadn't shown much for his first 2 years in the VFL but seems to have come out swinging this year. If he wants opportunity would be a good one to try as his last month in the VFL has been good.

Hopefully we're having a crack at Lloyd/De Goey this year as well - especially if Lynch leaves could offer them both 600K per year

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk[/Q
Don't think any would add much too to our midfield but Newman and Sier could play elsewhere with some upside.
Robinson good NEAFl player but struggles in seniors.
Wills cant comment never seen.
Not against chasing SOME top up players but we need to try to get a big fish.
I personally would throw the kitchen sink at DeGoey without a doubt the best prospect out of contract.
I know the chances are about 1% but you never know.
At worse would force Collingwood to pay a lot more to keep him.
There obviously into Lynch so we have nothing to lose.

Newman huge yes. Already out of the Melbourne bubble and would benefit from more playing time.
Sier interesting. hadn't shown much for his first 2 years in the VFL but seems to have come out swinging this year. If he wants opportunity would be a good one to try as his last month in the VFL has been good.

Hopefully we're having a crack at Lloyd/De Goey this year as well - especially if Lynch leaves could offer them both 600K per year
We need more for DeGoey, to get him out of Melbourne. Especially if he is looking at being offered 800k+ by Melbourne clubs

I think their time is up

I think their time is up
With a bye and 13 games remaining it is too soon to say they're gone. If Barlow goes, does Lonergan stay, or have you got Barlow staying? If Leslie plays the remainder of the season on the Senior list does he stay or is a Draft Pick in the 20s enough to sell him? Personally, I think both are backups that are more than capable of stepping up to top 22 footy any time and I'd rather see list cloggers get cleaned out than lose two reliable guys. What it really comes down to in the end is how deeply the new management want to scour in order to rebuild through the draft. If they want to offload 10 guys then these two are gone, but if it is only 6 they could be safe (remember that the list is currently 45 but will be 46 next year). Last year they traded/delisted 12, then re-rookied Mack Willis.

These would be my current order of players to delist:
Barlow
Rischitelli
Rosa
Schoenfeld
Wigg
Willis
Holman
Young
Lonergan
Leslie

If the attrition goes beyond 10 it is because players are demanding trades again

We need more for DeGoey, to get him out of Melbourne. Especially if he is looking at being offered 800k+ by Melbourne clubs
Our only hope to entice an A grader at present would be to heavily front load the contract if we have cap space now. That comes with a risk as we only know too well.
Collingwood will have to decide whether they want to keep Moore or De Goey as clubs are hovering. Either they’ve cleared the deck for Lynch or have bugger all cap space and aren’t a candidate for him after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back