List Mgmt. 2018 Draft/Trade/FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out: Tom Lynch
In: Tom McDonald

???
I speculated this on another thread. Very lucrative target and in hot form. Wouldn’t want a bidding war, but he’d be able to get more at the Suns and not leave us suddenly vulnerable with Lynch gone.

With a bye and 13 games remaining it is too soon to say they're gone. If Barlow goes, does Lonergan stay, or have you got Barlow staying? If Leslie plays the remainder of the season on the Senior list does he stay or is a Draft Pick in the 20s enough to sell him? Personally, I think both are backups that are more than capable of stepping up to top 22 footy any time and I'd rather see list cloggers get cleaned out than lose two reliable guys. What it really comes down to in the end is how deeply the new management want to scour in order to rebuild through the draft. If they want to offload 10 guys then these two are gone, but if it is only 6 they could be safe (remember that the list is currently 45 but will be 46 next year). Last year they traded/delisted 12, then re-rookied Mack Willis.

These would be my current order of players to delist:
Barlow
Rischitelli
Rosa
Schoenfeld
Wigg
Willis
Holman
Young
Lonergan
Leslie

If the attrition goes beyond 10 it is because players are demanding trades again
If you throw in possible loss of Lynch and Hall just too many experience players in one hit .
I am pretty sure Young and Schoenfeld are contracted for at least one more year.

If you throw in possible loss of Lynch and Hall just too many experience players in one hit .
I am pretty sure Young and Schoenfeld are contracted for at least one more year.
Pretty sure they can be delisted anyway, the club would just have to pay them out. I haven't read that Young has a two year contract and Schoenfeld's extension might have an out clause. I don't think we will offload 12 players again though, so these guys should be safe if there are more trades than currently predicted. So many variables, such as Bailey Scott, Tom Lynch, Aaron Hall and a number of out of contract players. Then there's player performance over the remainder of the year. What happens if 3 or 4 of our Rookies go so well they demand permanent elevation? If Bowes, Ainsworth, Brodie and Scrimshaw can all be considered top 22, how many veterans do we get rid of? How close will the current draftees be to the top 22 because if we draft 7 noobs we need to know the 18-20yos are on schedule.

How many do you predict will go?
Good question. Dew during his press conferences keeps bringing up our poor ball security and lack of connection. 18th in uncontested possessions and 18th in disposal efficiency frustrates him. Players that continually turn the ball over will be on notice. Few retirees too. Lonergan, Lemmens, Sexton, Barlow would be feeling it. Brodie’s knock had been his kicking and hopefully it’s improving. Can’t say a number but I think they’ll be a few surprises. He’s not going to waste time on those who can’t keep possession

Good question. Dew during his press conferences keeps bringing up our poor ball security and lack of connection. 18th in uncontested possessions and 18th in disposal efficiency frustrates him. Players that continually turn the ball over will be on notice. Few retirees too. Lonergan, Lemmens, Sexton, Barlow would be feeling it. Brodie’s knock had been his kicking and hopefully it’s improving. Can’t say a number but I think they’ll be a few surprises. He’s not going to waste time on those who can’t keep possession
Seems like we'll be guessing until October. Once retirements begin to get announced and the first round of trading comes around we'll know how many Draft picks we have, which is currently at 7 meaning a minimum of 6 required delistings/retirements. If we trade an equal amount of players out and in, then delist 6 overall, I'd say we'll do similarly at the draft again = 4 draft picks and 3 rookies.

Rankine & Lukosius are probably not the players you would be looking to get as they would most likely return to SA

Any thoughts given to perhaps the 2 King Brothers if Lynch does leave , Having the brothers at the same club could be a good thing

CHB & CHF set

Rankine & Lukosius are probably not the players you would be looking to get as they would most likely return to SA

Any thoughts given to perhaps the 2 King Brothers if Lynch does leave , Having the brothers at the same club could be a good thing

CHB & CHF set
What the crap you are talking about , they are more GCs players going back to Melbourne then SA

Last edited:

CHB & CHF set

Thought about that previously but we are top heavy for key position players as it is and Lynch leaving actually opens up opportunities both for playing style (can go with just 2MP as the 1 key forward) and for the players (Day or Crossley can play 2nd key forward; Day can play key defender if required).

Plus the GC academy has Caleb Graham and Dirk Koenen(?) coming through this year who are our young developing talls going forward.

Desperately need class mids and small/medium forwards to bring better balance to our future team.

I've read either via Knightmare or Cal Twhomey that Rankine, Bailey Smith, Walsh and Hately would be in contention to go #1 in an average draft year.

If Lynch leaves and we end up with #4 and #5, and chances are Lukosius is off the board, we could end up with at least 2 of the above which would work out pretty well in terms of both quality and what I see the needs of our list are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bundle our 1st and 2nd, with possibly a 3rd needed if we finish higher than 12th, and we could buy the #2 pick. He might only stay 2 years though.

St Kilda who are my tip to finish with the #3 pick would be open to trading down to get more picks, and that might be the spot to get Rankine, if Walsh and Lukosius go 1 & 2.

Currently St Kilda have pick 3 as it stands but there next pick is in the 50s and it looks like they may need a bit more help than 1 player to get them back on track.

Maybe our 1st (say #4) plus the Bombers 2nd rd pick (mid 20s) to move up to #3?

Hopefully if they bring in live trading of picks on draft night then you can make that decision after you know what has happened with the first 2 picks.

In terms of trading up I can see the Crows being very aggressive with potentially 4 picks in the 10-20 range (Melbourne 1st rd pick, Blues 2nd rd pick + Crows pick + possibly Sloane FA compo) and them wanting to get up into the top 5 to get access to SA talent in Rankine or Hately.

Thought about that previously but we are top heavy for key position players as it is and Lynch leaving actually opens up opportunities both for playing style (can go with just 2MP as the 1 key forward) and for the players (Day or Crossley can play 2nd key forward; Day can play key defender if required).

Plus the GC academy has Caleb Graham and Dirk Koenen(?) coming through this year who are our young developing talls going forward.

Desperately need class mids and small/medium forwards to bring better balance to our future team.

I've read either via Knightmare or Cal Twhomey that Rankine, Bailey Smith, Walsh and Hately would be in contention to go #1 in an average draft year.

If Lynch leaves and we end up with #4 and #5, and chances are Lukosius is off the board, we could end up with at least 2 of the above which would work out pretty well in terms of both quality and what I see the needs of our list are.
I agree , really dislike spend time develop KPF and KpD from other state where you already had Graham who is local no go home factor . I think even Rankine , Rozee want to go home ,if they play enough AFL games like Weller their price won't be cheap like shache.

I agree , really dislike spend time develop KPF and KpD from other state where you already had Graham who is local no go home factor . I think even Rankine , Rozee want to go home ,if they play enough AFL games like Weller their price won't be cheap like shache.
I think we just need to build the midfield group.. bringing in more ready to play kids

Jack Leslie taken before Matt Crouch, SMH

The only realistic answer to that pick is that most big guys are speculative picks, but you also have to find some good ones from somewhere.

So I am OK with drafting a few big guys with potential, which Leslie has shown some of. And I am OK if 1/2 of them wash out. If you don't have any good kpp then you can't win often enough.

Even the Tigers, who won a flag with very few big players, still had 3 really good kpp who played all season (Rance, Astbury, Riewoldt, who were picks 18, 13, and 35 respectively). To end up with those kpp they washed out a few high picks as well (Vickery, Griffiths). So got to take a shot every now and then.

The biggest problems with that draft are
(1) after 2 years KK looked like a good pick and now he does not, and
(2) we only had 3 open list spots for draft picks. Kept too many cloggers.

If KK was a better player now that he was in year 2, that draft looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back