Not open for further replies.

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
A few media outlets have mentioned the 'Bailey Smith wants to stay in Victoria' thing.
Was mentioned today in the Champion Data rankings blurb in the Hun about Smith.

Not good.

Take out Smith, and with the Kings it is most likely both or none. Options more limited for us than they should be unless Rozee makes it to 6.

Bluff and counter bluff from players and teams at this point.

But if we do like both Rozee and Rankine over the flight risks of Smith and the Kings, then I would be OK to try and trade up to 4 from 6. Even if we pay overs, and it will probably take more than 6 and 24.

Draftees should not get a say. You get drafted to whomever takes you. You want an AFL career? You can't choose to be picky. They should be lucky, because not everyone gets the chance to be in their position. Not like you're being shipped overseas like some boys back in the day in the army.

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'd like us to keep 2-3-6 and take them to the draft.
If Walsh Lukosius and Rankine go 1 2 3 in any order, we get 2 of them.
Then there's 4 5 6......
4..Smith 5 King 6 Rozee/Caldwell
4..King 5 Rozee 6 Smith/Caldwell
4..Smith 5 Rozee 6 King/Caldwell
4..King 5 Smith 6 Rozee/Caldwell
4..Caldwell 5 Rozee 6 Smith/King
4..Caldwell 5 King 6 Smith/Rozee

There are other combos for sure, but I think these are the most likely so I think if we can nab Lukosius (Carl. take Walsh) and Rankine with 2-3 and one of Caldwell Rozee Smith or King with 6, then we've got a pretty good result there. We can also then top up with our 2nd Rd picks on a needs basis.

Aug 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Draftees should not get a say. You get drafted to whomever takes you. You want an AFL career? You can't choose to be picky. They should be lucky, because not everyone gets the chance to be in their position. Not like you're being shipped overseas like some boys back in the day in the army.
Well they do then leave 2-3 years later and there is nothing we can do about it

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'd like us to keep 2-3-6 and take them to the draft.
If Walsh Lukosius and Rankine go 1 2 3 in any order, we get 2 of them.
Then there's 4 5 6......
4..Smith 5 King 6 Rozee/Caldwell
4..King 5 Rozee 6 Smith/Caldwell
4..Smith 5 Rozee 6 King/Caldwell
4..King 5 Smith 6 Rozee/Caldwell
4..Caldwell 5 Rozee 6 Smith/King
4..Caldwell 5 King 6 Smith/Rozee

There are other combos for sure, but I think these are the most likely so I think if we can nab Lukosius (Carl. take Walsh) and Rankine with 2-3 and one of Caldwell Rozee Smith or King with 6, then we've got a pretty good result there. We can also then top up with our 2nd Rd picks on a needs basis.
Anything too removed from this scenario will make us laughing stocks again IMO

Well they do then leave 2-3 years later and there is nothing we can do about it
If that's the case, that's their choice, and you wouldn't want players like that around if they don't love the club and the players by that point. Players seem to want to run to a success club rather than wait it out, and enjoy what they're doing in the meantime to get to that place.
It's the ones that stick around that mean more than those that don't.

Aug 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
If that's the case, that's their choice, and you wouldn't want players like that around if they don't love the club and the players by that point. Players seem to want to run to a success club rather than wait it out, and enjoy what they're doing in the meantime to get to that place.
It's the ones that stick around that mean more than those that don't.
Well that’s why you don’t pick those types in the draft

Aug 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
So you think they need to ask the draftees where they want to go?
You think they don’t? It’s stronger characters over talent these days. Coupling as well, Lukosius and his best mate Rozee. You think Rozee is the 3rd best player in the draft?

You think they don’t? It’s stronger characters over talent these days. Coupling as well, Lukosius and his best mate Rozee. You think Rozee is the 3rd best player in the draft?
I do think those two plus Walsh are the best three. We'll find out who they choose soon enough. I hope if they do choose those two, they'll be happy to go to qld. This is a time to grow up.

Aug 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
I do think those two plus Walsh are the best three. We'll find out who they choose soon enough. I hope if they do choose those two, they'll be happy to go to qld. This is a time to grow up.
So Rankine and max King is behind Rozee? Dreaming

So Rankine and max King is behind Rozee? Dreaming
Rankine. I forgot about him. Its very difficult to place them. Max King? How good is he? How would you rank him in terms of the others?

I concede I haven't taken a big interest in this draft since the pies are only after the academy boys and we have no first round picks, I've only gone with what I have heard around, so I really don't know one way or another on how to rank these boys.

Aug 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Rankine. I forgot about him. Its very difficult to place them. Max King? How good is he? How would you rank him in terms of the others?
Well King was ranked 1 before he did he acl. Champion Data rank Rankine at 1.
Kings could be flight risks, Rankine they have their doubts over his longevity in staying interstate.

Well King was ranked 1 before he did he acl. Champion Data rank Rankine at 1.
Kings could be flight risks, Rankine they have their doubts over his longevity in staying interstate.
Ah, yeah, if Rankine has made it clear on his stance on interstate. Would you risk him? As for King. Given his height, he would be an asset once he recovers. You just don't want to be one of those injury prone players, as they say once you do an ACL it's easier to do another. But hopefully that isn't the case. It's such a shame to have such an injury at his age.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
But if we do like both Rozee and Rankine over the flight risks of Smith and the Kings, then I would be OK to try and trade up to 4 from 6. Even if we pay overs, and it will probably take more than 6 and 24.

I feel like the smarter move would be to auction off pick 6 in a trade down, someone will want King or Bailey badly and they can be played off against the Bulldogs. Hately may not be quite as good as Rozee but the Suns can surely use him.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ah, yeah, if Rankine has made it clear on his stance on interstate. Would you risk him?

Some major draft watchers are pretty certain of Rankine to the Suns at 3. They recruited Chris Burgess when the media had them heavily linked to Pickett, I wonder if Burgess' relationship to Rankine was a contributing factor.

Aug 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Ah, yeah, if Rankine has made it clear on his stance on interstate. Would you risk him? As for King. Given his height, he would be an asset once he recovers. You just don't want to be one of those injury prone players, as they say once you do an ACL it's easier to do another. But hopefully that isn't the case. It's such a shame to have such an injury at his age.
I think we’ve gone off topic. Moral is not always the best player gets picked first. Due to kids realistically having a say at where they go.

I think we’ve gone off topic. Moral is not always the best player gets picked first. Due to kids realistically having a say at where they go.
That's true. Also each club has a different view of who is best, as they go with the best for their club not necessary the best in the draft. Anyways, we'll find out next week.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
The way i see it you must take the best players available and trust your club and culture to get the players to buy in once they are at the club, The suns have turned the corner and now are a proper club with facilities and coaching as well as mature players from other clubs to help them along the way.

If i was a Suns supporter i would be hoping the club selects
Walsh/Rankine/Lukosius with the first 2 selections
#6 - Rozee , Caldwell , Smith (must select the best player that suits the club and not compromise )

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Bailey Smith is so driven with football , as long he is playing AFL regularly not NEAFL , playing with phone during meeting won't happen . His endurance I presume already gone past GC former player 2016 pick No 7 .

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
If Max King falls to us @ 6 definitely open to trading down to get another decent pick

eg.

GC 6 + 24
Swap with Adelaide 8 + 16

Take Caldwell @ 8 + Stocker / Valente / Sturt @ 16

GC 6 + 29
Swaps with GWS
9 + 19 Get us Caldwell @ 9 + O'Halloran / Valente @ 19 in front of Adelaide / West Coast.

Anyone know who Burgess is living with?
If Rankine knows Burgess well could move in with him + another senior Suns guy if he gets drafted.

Start things off on the right foot professionalism wise.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The way i see it you must take the best players available and trust your club and culture to get the players to buy in once they are at the club, The suns have turned the corner and now are a proper club with facilities and coaching as well as mature players from other clubs to help them along the way.

If i was a Suns supporter i would be hoping the club selects
Walsh/Rankine/Lukosius with the first 2 selections
#6 - Rozee , Caldwell , Smith (must select the best player that suits the club and not compromise )

Bravo Gun Bravo
How sad that in AFL Circles there is the term “flight risk”.
The inbreds at VFL House have completely stuffed their own sports growth and expansion.
Best available and let’s have two good years of growth so everyone is excited and wants to do something magic.
Bring the GC a national title.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Bravo Gun Bravo
How sad that in AFL Circles there is the term “flight risk”.
The inbreds at VFL House have completely stuffed their own sports growth and expansion.
Best available and let’s have two good years of growth so everyone is excited and wants to do something magic.
Bring the GC a national title.

Good to see your starting to get that glass half full these days bods.

Seriously though once these kids get a couple of years together and make finals then the momentum will start and you will get players that are quality free agents starts to think 'Hey the gold coast would be kind of good for 5-6 years'
and with the club winning then there is no reason not to go up there

Now lets start working on a decent jumper , Incorporating black into your colours will make the team look so much stronger and tougher ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back