List Mgmt. 2018 Draft/Trade/FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 more top end player might finally get schoenfield or lemmens out of the squad

Im just worried about blowing pick 2-3 on rankine when he doesnt want to be here
I'm really happy to have Schoenfeld tied up for a few more years. He's a good kid that works super hard. Not sure what he has done to you Ben, but I think hes played some decent footy with limited opportunity. Far from the worst player to pull on a Sun's guernsey in his time at the club. I think I remember reading that he'd been working really closely with Matty Rosa last year - that spot is well and truly up for grabs in 2019

I'm really happy to have Schoenfeld tied up for a few more years. He's a good kid that works super hard. Not sure what he has done to you Ben, but I think hes played some decent footy with limited opportunity. Far from the worst player to pull on a Sun's guernsey in his time at the club. I think I remember reading that he'd been working really closely with Matty Rosa last year - that spot is well and truly up for grabs in 2019
My issue with schoenfeld is I just don’t know what he does really well.
Even with expected improvement as he gets older I don’t see an elite afl skill.
You’ve got to have something that gets you picked and gives you an advantage over opposition. Whether that’s blinding speed, elite decision making, intercept marking, never fumbling, strong body and good hands. Etc etc.

His strength is as an elite endurance runner.. but he is just too one paced. Can’t burn anyone off so it puts a cap on his one main strength. Can’t remember who it was but in one of the late 2018 games some opposition key position player just ran away from him late in the game.

welcome Mr Schoenfeld to our forum, you join the distinguished list of Dad's who have graced our group

I dont like picking up athletes first..
and then footballers.

Should be football first always.

Especially dont like picking up athletes who were rated a rookie pick at best with picks in the 20s.

And lastly disslike signing athletes who have spent the past 3 years playing NEAFL for a further 3 years.

Its nothing against him.

Its the club and upper management

If GC gave up pick 6,24 for pick 4 .
Isn't it pick 80,96/DFA more list clogger than pick 24,29 .

2,3,4 quality

29, 80,96 , DFA ,Rookie draft quantity.

If GC gave up pick 6,24 for pick 4 .
Isn't it pick 80,96/DFA more list clogger than pick 24,29 .

2,3,4 quality

29, 80,96 , DFA ,Rookie draft quantity.
Yeah I guess there's not much difference between 4 and 6 unless there's someone the Club has mail on won't be there at 6
Comes back to the reliability of quality in picks 1-10 vs 20-40

Yeah I guess there's not much difference between 4 and 6 unless there's someone the Club has mail on won't be there at 6
Comes back to the reliability of quality in picks 1-10 vs 20-40
Is hard to compare if Craig cameron just required to pick 4 top 10 as you don't have his picking success rate data from 20-40 range .

Previous GCS draft data are tie to Clayton .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My issue with schoenfeld is I just don’t know what he does really well.
Even with expected improvement as he gets older I don’t see an elite afl skill.
You’ve got to have something that gets you picked and gives you an advantage over opposition. Whether that’s blinding speed, elite decision making, intercept marking, never fumbling, strong body and good hands. Etc etc.

His strength is as an elite endurance runner.. but he is just too one paced. Can’t burn anyone off so it puts a cap on his one main strength. Can’t remember who it was but in one of the late 2018 games some opposition key position player just ran away from him late in the game.
To be fair he has to step up this year, and he has a lot to prove. I just think he's shown enough to suggest he could be a really handy player. Not the worst kick or decision maker in the team and his hands don't worry me at all - Id actually argue that there are a few higher profile players in his age bracket that have been much worse in those areas than Shoey. I'd take him every day over Scrimshaw - a player that clearly had those elite attributes but none of Schoenfields work ethic or clubmanship.

He might not be the player I think he will, I guess I'm just happy that we have a few years to find out.

To be fair he has to step up this year, and he has a lot to prove. I just think he's shown enough to suggest he could be a really handy player. Not the worst kick or decision maker in the team and his hands don't worry me at all - Id actually argue that there are a few higher profile players in his age bracket that have been much worse in those areas than Shoey. I'd take him every day over Scrimshaw - a player that clearly had those elite attributes but none of Schoenfields work ethic or clubmanship.

He might not be the player I think he will, I guess I'm just happy that we have a few years to find out.
He just need to improve his metre gain from -1 -100 range to 250-400 .

I have noticed that he has ended up on his own in the goal square for a couple of goals. Can only assume that is from gut running and out working his opponent.
Yeah he's not bad with ball in hand but haven't seem much evidence that he'll be cutting up teams by hitting the 45 degree kick coming out of the back line or using his kicks to draw our forwards to the right spot, more a solid but safe ball user.
If he continue to work on his speed, makes the right decisions and can consistently hit a leading target I can see him playing a wing role using his endurance to push back in defence when required. Think he's a bit behind others at this stage.

He could be a solid player. Pretty low ceiling though. Hasn't shown enough just yet to think he could get to an Ed Langdon, Tom Phillips or Darcy Parish level. More like a Ryan Bastinac for mine- but hey he played 150+ games.

Hey guys, good luck with the upcoming draft.

Just wanted to post this in here to see if it seems like a reasonable deal/opportunity

1. Carlton - Walsh
2. Gold Coast - Luko
3. Adelaide - Rankine (Adelaide swap picks 8 and 13 for 3 and 29)
4. Gold Coast - Rozee ( Gold Coast swap picks 6 and 24 for 4)
5. Port - Smith
6. Saints - M King
7. Dogs - B King
8. Gold Coast - Caldwell

This way Gold Coast still get Luko and Rozee but also get Caldwell and an additional pick at 13

Just wanted to post this in here to see if it seems like a reasonable deal/opportunity

1. Carlton - Walsh
2. Gold Coast - Luko
5. Port - Smith
6. Saints - M King
7. Dogs - B King
8. Gold Coast - Caldwell

This way Gold Coast still get Luko and Rozee but also get Caldwell and an additional pick at 13

Seems like we want Lukosius and Rankine though.
Would the dogs take caldwell?

Seems like we want Lukosius and Rankine though.
Would the dogs take caldwell?

I would think the dogs are after B King, tall centre half back. Lost Adams even though he struggled to get on the park.

They’ve got a good midfield set up with Bont, McCrae, Hunter, McLean, Libba, Dunkley coming through and Daniel.

As a Crows supporter it seems as if Rankine is top priority but Caldwell is 2nd

I

1. Carlton - Walsh
2. Gold Coast - Luko
5. Port - Smith
6. Saints - M King
7. Dogs - B King
8. Gold Coast - Caldwell

In saying that, we have said the only way we swap 3/6 is if we can do another swap to get St Kildas 4.
I don't think we want our second pick to be 6.

I

In saying that, we have said the only way we swap 3/6 is if we can do another swap to get St Kildas 4.
I don't think we want our second pick to be 6.

It does seem like an all round win for all teams.

Gold Coast get Luko and Rozee who are great mates, you also likely get Caldwell who you are apparently keen on and could maybe get Hately at 13 also

Adelaide get Rankine

Saints get Max King at 6 and and and extra pick at 24 before their next pick at 36

1. Carlton - Walsh
2. Gold Coast - Luko
5. Port - Smith
6. Saints - M King
7. Dogs - B King
8. Gold Coast - Caldwell

If we swapped 6 and 24 for 4, then there is no need for us to swap 3. We'd have 2 3 4 and 29....but I still prefer 2 3 6 24 and 29...

1. Carlton - Walsh
2. Gold Coast - Luko
5. Port - Smith
6. Saints - M King
7. Dogs - B King
8. Gold Coast - Caldwell

i think i remember hearing cameron say he thought there was a lot of talent in the top 8 or so, so trading down to get pick 8 & 13 doesn't really make much sense, especially if we're likely to use the two second round picks on academy players. i think the trade proposed with st kilda earlier is a better proposition to us. also, picks 3 & 29 have more draft value than 8 & 13 so there'd need to be something else coming with them, more than likely a future pick as i doubt we'd use any additional picks this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back