List Mgmt. 2018 draft/Young Talent time

Remove this Banner Ad

Simpson loses players
to injury and adapts.
We lose players and plan A is stuffed.
WC don't just draft one forward, cross fingers, since 2015 Rioli, Ryan, Brander, Allen, Venerables, Waterman.
This would be a fair assessment all things being equal, but they are not.
Putting aside how we got to that position, we are now in one where once we have a few injuries we are playing sides with 10 to 12 players under 50 games (7 to 9 under 25 games!).
At no stage did West Coast ever have to deal with that aspect this year.

Last edited:

People shouldn't write off Max King. He will be very very good.
I'm desperately hoping we take him. Like Cerra, he could end up being a steal because of an injury interrupted year. If we end up with picks 5&6, I'll be praying commonsense occurs and we take one of the King twins.

I'm desperately hoping we take him. Like Cerra, he could end up being a steal because of an injury interrupted year. If we end up with picks 5&6, I'll be praying commonsense occurs and we take one of the King twins.

Does Morabito or Pitt remind you of something.

Either way draft both or the other will cry and go home. Vic Metro sooks

Does Morabito or Pitt remind you of something.

Either way draft both or the other will cry and go home. Vic Metro sooks
They remind me of injuries that weren't there fault and both were incredibly unlucky. Shocking examples. Also, you guys need to get over the WA obsession, we have a pretty good record at keeping Vic players. Wanna know why our forward line is so s**t? Because we don't have the balls to draft one with a high pick, look how pathetic our forward line is, why wouldn't you take one of the best forwards in recent drafts?

Quality>quantity. Don't give a stuff about postcodes.

They remind me of injuries that weren't there fault and both were incredibly unlucky. Shocking examples. Also, you guys need to get over the WA obsession, we have a pretty good record at keeping Vic players. Wanna know why our forward line is so s**t? Because we don't have the balls to draft one with a high pick, look how pathetic our forward line is, why wouldn't you take one of the best forwards in recent drafts?

Quality>quantity. Don't give a stuff about postcodes.

Max King has done a ACL. Allegedly a bad one. By drafting him you are relying upon\hoping there is no further recurrence. Exactly like Mora.
If he gets thru to one of our picks (assuming Neale goes) it means Saints have passed on him where he is re-habbing so maybe theres enough risk they're not risking him.

Max King has done a ACL. Allegedly a bad one. By drafting him you are relying upon\hoping there is no further recurrence. Exactly like Mora.
If he gets thru to one of our picks (assuming Neale goes) it means Saints have passed on him where he is re-habbing so maybe theres enough risk they're not risking him.

Max King did an ACL via an impact injury on a goal post IIRC, not in general play.

I don't dismiss the Victorian twin brother risk (would be far happier with both than one) but i'm not sure the ACL risk is as high as it was with, say, Jake Lever.

I was at dinner tonight with a prominent ABC sports reporter.
I drilled him on all current rumours floating around, which he gave nothing more than what we’ve read on here.
Asked what he thought Freo’s flaw is - states it’s our lack of quality forward. As decisive as this is to the ‘improve the midfield, improve the team brigade’ I think it has some merit. With limited ‘clean’ scoring opportunities these days you need a fwd that can capitalise .
In summary we need Tom Lynch:think:;)

I drilled him on all current rumours floating around, which he gave nothing more than what we’ve read on here.
Asked what he thought Freo’s flaw is - states it’s our lack of quality forward. As decisive as this is to the ‘improve the midfield, improve the team brigade’ I think it has some merit. With limited ‘clean’ scoring opportunities these days you need a fwd that can capitalise .

He’s spot on. We need quality forwards but of any size, not necessarily just talls. Natural classy forwards are match winners.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s spot on. We need quality forwards but of any size, not necessarily just talls. Natural classy forwards are match winners.

This we need quality forwards fullstop. The only player close to an A grade forward we have is Walters and for some reason he now spends a lot of time in the midfield - go figure?!? But we do need a key tall. Of the sides remaining each one has a 190cm+ forward leading their goalkicking. We need that type of forward plus A grade medium forwards which we have none of and none developing. Really we need a bunch of A+++ forwards because our gameplan will make them look like A graders :(. We probably have some B graders who can develop into support roles.

This we need quality forwards fullstop. The only player close to an A grade forward we have is Walters and for some reason he now spends a lot of time in the midfield - go figure?!? But we do need a key tall. Of the sides remaining each one has a 190cm+ forward leading their goalkicking. We need that type of forward plus A grade medium forwards which we have none of and none developing. Really we need a bunch of A+++ forwards because our gameplan will make them look like A graders :(. We probably have some B graders who can develop into support roles.
It depresses me, discussing forwards. If we had a forward line that included Tom McDonald, Jack Riewoldt, Toby Green and Jordan De Goey, I feel Ross would turn it into a 70 point per match forward set up.

Saints also have huge midfield holes & a few decent Key forwards already. McCartin still building, Membrey & Bruce plus a could of rookie guys im forgetting.
I suspect they’ll pass more on midfield need

I look at the midfield on paper and the problem is with the coaching and fitness staff. They are the reason why we get continually smashed in the midfield and at stoppages when we have a list that contains Fyfe, Mundy, Neale, Blakely, Walters, Hill, Hill, Bennell, Langdon, Brayshaw, Cerra.

But if Neale leaves, I would double down on two midfielders/half forwards (e.g. 2 of Smith, Rozee, Rankine) and work with Taberner, Cox and McCarthy. Especially with Bennell a pipe dream and Mundy almost done.

Agree, but disagre.

I feel we need a de Goey and a Rioli type player.

Rankine, I Hill, Rozzee is exactly what we need.

I look at the midfield on paper and the problem is with the coaching and fitness staff. They are the reason why we get continually smashed in the midfield and at stoppages when we have a list that contains Fyfe, Mundy, Neale, Blakely, Walters, Hill, Hill, Bennell, Langdon, Brayshaw, Cerra.

But if Neale leaves, I would double down on two midfielders/half forwards (e.g. 2 of Smith, Rozee, Rankine) and work with Taberner, Cox and McCarthy. Especially with Bennell a pipe dream and Mundy almost done.

considering 2 of those are first year players, walters, the hills and langdon are predominately outside mids / forwards, Bennell has never got on the park and mundy is in his 30's, that list isnt that impressive imo. Granted it probably could be performing better than it has at times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back