List Mgmt. 2018 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Hammersoup12

Senior List
Sep 15, 2014
Amazing trade week in the end. Do we walk into 2018 with 1st and 4th rounders as it stands? Our pick one will likely to be high and off the table. What are options re points for our academy kids? Can we just keep adding up late picks??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So do we still need to pick minimum 3 player in this draft , that look pretty crab .

This may mean less of an exodus next year because how would we replace them?

Remember we have Sandilands, Johnson, Ballas, Spurr, Mundy just off the top of my head that would be unlikely to go on past 2018.

We could probably go very hard at free agents!

I'm not against 2 picks inside 5 this year, it's definitely a massive win, but my golly the other offer would've been tempting too.

Pick two a mid and pick 5 that tall forward from the NSW/ACT team or that tall from WA. We still urgently need a focal point full forward, and none of this 'oh you don't need one' anymore stuff either – it's a current trend and even then, the Tigers had Jack Riewoldt in their Grand Final winning side. It is a reach at pick 5 but considering we stole two, I have no issue risking it. You're reaching a bit for the WA guy and the other fella is projected top ten anyway (and is a pretty low risk to go home considering his is half way between Melbourne and Sydney, in Canberra or Wagga or whatever).

Pick two should see us net a real good forward. I think they're all Vic Country too which helps.

Pretty exciting.

Just wait until we grab a skinny flanker from Oakleigh Chargers at two and some random small defender from Swans at five...

Next year is weird though... one pick meaning we'll have to use selections in the 80s and 90s and rookie drafts, or else... what?

There's going to be about five retirements you'd say, at a minimum one or two delistings... there is absolutely no decent trade bait considering players are either off limits or s**t or old, so how do you get enough players on the list?

Absolute steal and a great outcome today but seriously, this is why you should stagger retirements and not sit on your hands until you have to do it all at once. Dawson should have been cut two years ago, Sutcliffe and Sheridan gotten rid of now... the club has to make 10 changes this year and 10 next year while, unlike this season, having no picks to replace them with. You can't just wait for things to happen and to try and bleed absolutely everything out of a player who has passed their peak and given what they can. Now we're in this ****ed up position where Johnson and Spurr are going to be on the list when in reality, they should have been 2017 delistees while guys like Ballantyne should have been gone at the end of 2015. Seriously wtf is happening next year: inevitably we will keep on Mundy again when it's obvious 2018 should be his last year.

I'd expect that Carter would be a 2nd round pick and if we can convince the AFL to let us have O'Reilly, then that would be a another 2nd or a third. Time to get big balls Loyd down to AFL house and start the negotiations for O'Reilly!

I'd expect that Carter would be a 2nd round pick and if we can convince the AFL to let us have O'Reilly, then that would be a another 2nd or a third. Time to get big balls Loyd down to AFL house and start the negotiations for O'Reilly!

As Lloyd eluded to, congrats AFL and GCS!

Let’s hope there was some back room agreements allowing O’reilly to be allowed to be picked up as F/S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have to trade picks to get picks. Only way can see it. If we keep Suban and Suttclife, Sheridan. Can trade for 4/5th round picks. Not much else. Great win for us in this year's draft, thought we actually bluffed our way through nicely there.

Next year is weird though... one pick meaning we'll have to use selections in the 80s and 90s and rookie drafts, or else... what?

There's going to be about five retirements you'd say, at a minimum one or two delistings... there is absolutely no decent trade bait considering players are either off limits or s**t or old, so how do you get enough players on the list?

Absolute steal and a great outcome today but seriously, this is why you should stagger retirements and not sit on your hands until you have to do it all at once. Dawson should have been cut two years ago, Sutcliffe and Sheridan gotten rid of now... the club has to make 10 changes this year and 10 next year while, unlike this season, having no picks to replace them with. You can't just wait for things to happen and to try and bleed absolutely everything out of a player who has passed their peak and given what they can. Now we're in this ****** up position where Johnson and Spurr are going to be on the list when in reality, they should have been 2017 delistees while guys like Ballantyne should have been gone at the end of 2015. Seriously wtf is happening next year: inevitably we will keep on Mundy again when it's obvious 2018 should be his last year.
It’s called trying to win a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at LDU's highlights on YouTube. Whilst a lot of what he does looks good, is it fair to say hes a fairly average kick? Maybe like a Fyfe/Dangerfield, bull in the contest, good burst of speed, but average kick?

This may mean less of an exodus next year because how would we replace them?

Remember we have Sandilands, Johnson, Ballas, Spurr, Mundy just off the top of my head that would be unlikely to go on past 2018.

We could probably go very hard at free agents!

I'm not against 2 picks inside 5 this year, it's definitely a massive win, but my golly the other offer would've been tempting too.

Sandi, Johnson, D Pearce, Sheridan, Ballas, Spurr, Mundy? , Apeness?

That is going to be tricky with 2 picks in the 1st four rounds.

We have the twins plus Carter from our academy and hopefully two Free agents (Jetta + ......).

We are not going to go into the 2018 draft with just a 1st rounder and 5th rounder onward to use. We'll just trade in multiple picks from 2019 and maybe downgrade them to get multiple options and better points totals. For instance, trade in our 2019 2nd rounder, and downgrade to 2 or 3 3rd rounders assuming Carter bid is expected late first/early second. If we think that bid will come after our 2nd then we keep it (hopefully use it on O'Reilly) and maybe downgrade our 3rd into 4ths to match the Carter bid. Best case we can also trade out a couple of players to get us the currency we need (can't see many option atm though). Most likely we'll do a bit of both. The most important thing is the quality is still in the 1st round and we still have our 1st rounder.

tl;dr - we'll be fine, stop stressing, it's 12 months away.

If the bid comes in the 3rd round you get them for free.
Just to be totally clear with this so nobody is confused, the father son and academy discount applies only until the end of the first round. After that it is locked in at 197 points (this discount on pick 18) and this means that a bid after pick #55 (first pick of round four - 207 points) after the discount has zero points required.

Just to be totally clear with this so nobody is confused, the father son and academy discount applies only until the end of the first round. After that it is locked in at 197 points (this discount on pick 18) and this means that a bid after pick #55 (first pick of round four - 207 points) after the discount has zero points required.
Thanks Taylor. I knew roughly how it was.

Players out of contract:
Hayden Ballantyne
Danyle Pearce
David Mundy
Aaron Sandilands
Lee Spurr
Michael Johnson
-
Nick Suban
Tom Sheridan
Cameron Sutcliffe
Brady Grey
Michael Apeness
Ryan Nyhuis

About five or six of these will/absolutely should retire in 2018, Suban, Sherro, Sutty should be thanking their lucky stars they're still at the club because next year they will not get a contract (or shouldn't if the club has half a clue). I like Grey and Nyhuis (ffs can't believe we toyed with delisting someone who kicked four on debut) and think Apeness deserves a bit of time but seriously, that's six players absolutely gone, three who have to go... and maybe another one or two who will.

So that's 9-10 players delisted from the main list.

Plus two guys have to go from the rookie list.

So we'll go into the draft with, what, one actual usable pick?

I have no idea how the hell this academy or father son thing works (can someone tell me why the young O'Reilly is a chance to come to Freo when his dad only played 98 games? Bit of help from the AFL?) but even if that comes out trumps it means we have two there and then a draftee meaning seven spots are still to fill. Maybe upgrade a rookie for the sake of it... that's now six...

I have said it before, will say it again, but the lack of foresight in our delistings will inevitably cause way too many players playing on too long (can see Mundy or Sandilands going until they're 34/35 now...) or else a situation like what is looking likely in 2019. What a joke. Sheridan, Sutcliffe, and Suban are of no benefit as they're free agents, have no trade value, or will not get picked up by another AFL side. What do you do?

All the free agents are absolute rubbish or we're no chance of getting (Tom Lynch, Rory Sloane). Only one I'd really like is Neville Jetta (drafted from Swans). I don't mind Aliir Aliir but we have nothing to trade.

Sandi, Johnson, D Pearce, Sheridan, Ballas, Spurr, Mundy? , Apeness?

That is going to be tricky with 2 picks in the 1st four rounds.

We have the twins plus Carter from our academy and hopefully two Free agents (Jetta + ......).
Lets be honest most of the above has already been replaced, with trades and cross fingers players
coming back from injury. Most of the above list is depth, backup.
D Pearce, Sherro, Ballas, Spurr, Apeness? All are depth only and Johnno's position could be filled by
Cox, Logue, Pearce.
Balla replaced with Matera, Bennell, Langdon.
Sandi, after what the Tigers achieved one ruck is preferable, Darcy.
We have the nucleus now of a young team, and with two top five picks available the window has truly
been wedged open.
I suspect next year we may be looking to trade Langdon, Tucker?

Lets be honest most of the above has already been replaced, with trades and cross fingers players
coming back from injury. Most of the above list is depth, backup.
D Pearce, Sherro, Ballas, Spurr, Apeness? All are depth only and Johnno's position could be filled by
Cox, Logue, Pearce.
Balla replaced with Matera, Bennell, Langdon.
Sandi, after what the Tigers achieved one ruck is preferable, Darcy.
We have the nucleus now of a young team, and with two top five picks available the window has truly
been wedged open.
I suspect next year we may be looking to trade Langdon, Tucker?

Agree they are not best 22 anymore, but they still need to replaced through the draft.

None of them have any value which makes it hard as well.

Langdon, Tucker - I rate both of these highly, so we can't afford to loose them.

Thanks for that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back