World Cup 2018 FIFA WORLD CUP FINAL-FRANCE V CROATIA

Remove this Banner Ad

I personally thought it wasn't a good game, I thought France we're average overall and I still can't believe they we're 4-1 up at one stage, Croatia were good in the 1st half and deserved the equalizer, I think the handball was probably there, I mean they payed similar pens this entire world cup so I have no issue here. The Croats definitely fell away big time in the 2nd half.

The Griezmann dive for the free kick that lead to the opener was ugly, Ref was conned, IMO this was a yellow card dive for me, Also was Pogba offside? Did he have any impact on the MM17 play on the ball?

It never felt like a world cup final to me, It was never tense it didn't have that be all end all feel to it, Not sure If I'm alone here but that's how it felt to me, perhaps my lack of sleep didn't help. :p

Congrats France.

Remarkable if you look at the possession

62% doesn't usually lead to a 4-2 loss

It's been a funny old Cup, that's for sure

Croatia's impressive history

Beat Italy in Italy when the Italians were world cup runners up 1994 + Draw in return game 1995
Beat Romania, Germany and Holland at France 98
Come from behind 2-1 vs Italy 2002 World Cup *
2004 - Draw with France who were the current euro champions
2006&7 beat and Eliminate England at Wembley for Euro 2008
2008 Beat Germany at the Euros
2012 Draw with Italy from 1-0 down. Robbed vs Spain who were Euro + World champs. Would win the Euro again
2014/15 Draw with Italy in qualifiers
2016 beat Spain after being 1-0 down
2018 Beat Argentina + England when trailing 1-0

Awesome side. Never discredit the Croats it was no miracle they made the final. Maybe in terms of what they endured, but no in terms of class and skill.

Last edited:

Croatia's impressive history

Beat Italy in Italy when the Italians were world cup runners up 1994 + Draw in return game 1995
Beat Romania, Germany and Holland at France 98
Come from behind 2-1 vs Italy 2002 World Cup *
2004 - Draw with France who were the current euro champions
2006&7 beat and Eliminate England at Wembley for Euro 2008
2008 Beat Germany at the Euros
2012 Draw with Italy from 1-0 down. Robbed vs Spain who were Euro + World champs. Would win the Euro again
2014/15 Draw with Italy in qualifiers
2016 beat Spain after being 1-0 down
2018 Beat Argentina + England when trailing 1-0

Awesome side. Never discredit the Croats it was no miracle they made the final. Maybe in terms of what they endured, but no in terms of class and skill.
2006- Managed to have a player get 3 yellow cards before being sent off

Thought we were the better team on the day but having 60% of possession and more shots means nothing when you don’t finish your work.
France were clinical and took their chances when they were presented.

The blatant dive leading to the first goal still makes me angry and if that wasn’t paid, the game completely changes.
No concerns with the penalty, watching it live my first instinct was penalty. I can understand the conjecture though.

Ultimately I’m proud.

Thought we were the better team on the day but having 60% of possession and more shots means nothing when you don’t finish your work.
France were clinical and took their chances when they were presented.

The blatant dive leading to the first goal still makes me angry and if that wasn’t paid, the game completely changes.
No concerns with the penalty, watching it live my first instinct was penalty. I can understand the conjecture though.

Ultimately I’m proud.
And so you should be.

But at the end of it all, it's just a game. Croatia winning or losing doesn't have a profound impact on the course your life will take. If you've got a partner etc, they're still going to be there at the end of the day, and they're more important than any sporting event.

So some English fans said they could win it, and you took that as a bonafide reason to hate on them? How churlish do you think that makes you sound? Do you actually think no other fans of the semi finalists thought they could win it too? Some people like to be positive, perhaps overly so, that’s not a reason to write them all off as arrogant. Just seems to me that you’ve got a chip on your shoulder about something and are willing to use any reason to justify your hatred towards England. Seen it so much on here the past few weeks. At the end of the day it’s not my problem though

Never once have I said anywhere that I hate England? They are actually one of my favorite teams. Only things I have ever mentioned about them the last few weeks is that I wasn't sold on them like some were, felt they were a touch behind a few teams, people were pumping them up too much. Then again you can only play who's in front of you. Good on them for making it as far as they did, no one predicted that, and they have a young squad which bodes well for the future.

I knew as soon as they announced an Argentinian was gonna be the referee that we were doomed.
The bullsh!t first free kick. Griezmann clearly went down before any contact was made. It's crap that VAR cannot be used for free kicks.
How would the game have progressed had Croatia gone into half time with a 1-0 lead?
Mandzukic should have been subbed at 50 mins. He couldn't walk after half time.
But, for all my whinging, I'm really proud of what those boys did this month. But Croatia on the map and will surely be top 5 when rankings come out on the 19th.
Hoping this squad has at least the next Euros in them to do some damage.
Just f$%king Griezmann!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought a penalty was a reasonable call. In recent years, if a player has his arms away from his body, a penalty is given. Unlucky, but consistent with the way the rule has been interpreted for quite a while now.
Totally agree. Was a clear pen for me.

As for France what more do people expect. They played brilliant simply when they had to. They only went up a cog at the right time and conserved energy.

Argentina
Uruguay
Belgium
Croatia

The hardest path to the final no question. Argentina got a late goal which flattered them, and that was in a game where they led after coming from behind. The French never faltered. Uruguay were swept aside with relative ease and Belgium were the next best side in the comp who they dispatched in the semis. Croatia were mauled after it was 1-1 and the free kick which led to the opener was of no consequence because Les Bleus went on to score 3 more times.

People also look at the past through rose tainted glasses. Not many Nations swept all before them on their path to capturing the Jules Rimet trophy. Every world cup winner has had controversy and matches where they struggled, drew, lost or just looked inept. More recent winners saw Germany win in extra time against Argentina where Messi botched several chances during the contest. Draw with Ghana and needing extra time to beat fellow Africans Algeria. Narrowly escaped USA and France with 1-0 victories. Spain lost their opening game in 2010 scoring just 8 goals for the entire tournament. Outplayed vs Portugal before scoring in the second half and survived a late penalty vs Paraguay to win in the quarters needing a late penalty of their own. Germany in the semis also bossed them and could have easily beaten them. Italy in 2006 drew with USA, needed a dive to beat us in the 2nd round and eventually saw off a Zidane-less France in the final on penalties. France themselves in 1998 needed a golden goal vs Paraguay in the 2nd round, Penalties to see off Italy and two goals from a defender that had never scored in his career nor after it in the semi against Croatia.

France's knockout games in 2018 saw them pile on 11 goals and conceding 5. No extra time needed. By far and away the best side in the competition and most deserving.

Viva La France!

Very good game, having just seen the replay. Worthy of a final and glad it wasn’t a dour game like some recent finals have been.

France very deserving winners, congratulations to them. It’s impressive that they were able to back it up after the disappointment of losing the Euros two years ago, certainly takes some resilience to do that.

Croatia very impressive, Perisic leaves with his reputation considerably enhanced. What a cracking goal. Unfortunately the penalty was there on the balance of what is being paid this tournament.

Subasic I thought reacted very slowly to Pogba’s and Mbappe’s goals. Have read he was injured but with some of his saves so far this Cup, you’d think he could’ve done better.

And for a top class keeper, Lloris sure does make some ridiculous errors. That was embarrassing.

Congratulations to France. Mbappe really is something else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched the replay and saw a Croatian team make all the play but be 2-1 down at half time. I knew the French would come out diving and flopping about against the physically stronger Croats and this held them in good stead. The foul that led to the free kick was dubious at best..but heh the Croat flicked it into the net. The penalty was there but so unlucky. The little frenchman ducked out of the way or missed the header and the hand was there...too bad. A good final and I think the best team in the tourney won. Sure they dived all over the place against the Australians but we never looked like scoring in open play. Brazil excited me the most then the Belgians/Croatians....Japs had there moments and I was turned off by Sweden. The Poms got a dream run and did nothing with it they really are dismal.

France best team.

Put them all to the sword when it mattered.

At the end, a big football nation triumphs in the World Cup.

Croatians whinging about the result is ironic seeing as though Bilic milked an injury preventing Blanc from playing in the final. Don't recall them saying much about Italy having two goals chalked off in 2002 either.

It's been a funny old Cup, that's for sure

It has, in quite a few ways. No Italy or Netherlands, and Germany going out early. Then none of the big teams like Spain, Portugal, Brazil, Argentina making the semis. It meant the best players in world like Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, Iniesta dropping out.

So many own goals, penalties and goals from corners. VAR for the first time.

But I've really enjoyed it (provided I avoided Craig Foster's bullshit). Plenty of good games, the stadiums have been great and as far as I know there wasn't any hooliganism.

I watched the replay and saw a Croatian team make all the play but be 2-1 down at half time. I knew the French would come out diving and flopping about against the physically stronger Croats and this held them in good stead. The foul that led to the free kick was dubious at best..but heh the Croat flicked it into the net. The penalty was there but so unlucky. The little frenchman ducked out of the way or missed the header and the hand was there...too bad. A good final and I think the best team in the tourney won. Sure they dived all over the place against the Australians but we never looked like scoring in open play. Brazil excited me the most then the Belgians/Croatians....Japs had there moments and I was turned off by Sweden. The Poms got a dream run and did nothing with it they really are dismal.
The poms had a dream run? What about Croatia?

The poms had a dream run? What about Croatia?
Yep I agree with you...not the hardest run into final...the other side of draw had better teams in it. I liked the way they go about it...the poms just did not excite me at all to watch. I guess having been in Croatia the last month or so helped lol. Yeh so I am happy to call England dismal!

Yep I agree with you...not the hardest run into final...the other side of draw had better teams in it. I liked the way they go about it...the poms just did not excite me at all to watch. I guess having been in Croatia the last month or so helped lol. Yeh so I am happy to call England dismal!
Agree that Croatia are better to watch and their group was harder to begin with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back