Remove this Banner Ad

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
There will be no British referee at the World Cup this summer for the first time since 1938.

Fifa has chosen 36 officials for the tournament in Russia but none from England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Mark Clattenburg was the only Briton on Fifa's long list of officials, collated in summer 2016, from which it would choose the final selection for Russia.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43110905
Was there an Australian on the initial list? I know we didn't get one picked for the finals this time around. Has the a league refereeing dropped off that much?

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
FIFA President Gianni Infantino is keen on hastening the expansion of the World Cup to 48 teams for the 2022 tournament in Qatar, a move that might require the tiny Gulf nation to share games in the region.

The governing body will now study if Qatar can alone cope with the additional logistical challenges of hosting 16 more teams and 16 more games than originally planned for the Middle East’s first World Cup.

The jump from 32 to 48 teams was originally only due to apply from the 2026 tournament under plans Infantino secured approval for last year. But he is highly receptive to a request received Thursday from south American confederation CONMEBOL and its 10-member associations to accelerate the expansion plans.

“It seems to me a very interesting idea,” Infantino said after attending a CONMEBOL meeting in Buenos Aires. “Of course we have to study the feasibility of this proposal. If it’s possible, if it is feasible, if the others agree too, because it is not a decision that only the president of FIFA or CONMEBOL make ... of course we are going to study it.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/footba...e/news-story/614e11d48faef394f933fe5a324cf9a7

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool

HomokHarcos

Senior List
May 1, 2015
Canada
AFL Club
Richmond
Top European leagues will oppose FIFA plans to add more teams and playing days at the 2022 World Cup.

Lars-Christer Olsson, CEO of the 32-member European Leagues group, says leagues have already been flexible to allow the World Cup to be played in the (Qatari) winter and have agreed the dates.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...mped-fifa-world-cup-plan-20180416-p4za0f.html
How do the leagues put up with FIFA? They have the power to end FIFA if they wanted to but somehow it's the leagues that are usually doing what FIFA wants.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
They should halve the number of teams that can make the World Cup to 16. Four groups of four and then knockouts from there. Separate the wheat from the chaff in the qualifiers and set up a series of cracker matches all the way through the big one.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
They should halve the number of teams that can make the World Cup to 16. Four groups of four and then knockouts from there. Separate the wheat from the chaff in the qualifiers and set up a series of cracker matches all the way through the big one.
what a ******* s**t idea.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Salah and Egypt will have a good run in the world cup. I think they'll make the quarters and with a little luck the semis.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
i know Ronaldo scored two late goals in Portugal after Salah gave them the lead and Portugal won 2-1 but it was a friendly. I think if they meet in the 2nd round Egypt will beat them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
I'm thinking about doing the same actually. I do love the world cup.
I was too young to even acknowledge a world cup back in 2002, and the last three haven't been favourable time zone wise, nor will 2022 (I at least got to see a few matches in 2010).

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Who has Optus sport? What is the best way to get the full World Cup coverage, without having to get a SIM card plan etc. Is it available on the Apple TV box? I might do that as it's HD and close to watching it on normal TV (SBS).

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
Who has Optus sport? What is the best way to get the full World Cup coverage, without having to get a SIM card plan etc. Is it available on the Apple TV box? I might do that as it's HD and close to watching it on normal TV (SBS).
Non-Optus customers can subscribe to Optus Sport now for $15/month so you don't need to get a sim card/be on an optus plan.

I don't know about the Apple TV stuff though. Sorry.

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
SBS will broadcast 25 games from the World Cup. David Basheer and Craig Moore call the Socceroos group stage matches.

Martin Tyler is going to provide exclusive commentary for SBS on their non Socceroos matches.

I think they're making a big mistake by showing the third place playoff, the game i regard as a glorified international friendly.

Below is their schedule.

LIVE MATCH BROADCAST SCHEDULE
Friday 15 June from 12am* Russia v Saudi Arabia LIVE kick-off 1am

Saturday 16 June from 3:30am* Portugal v Spain LIVE kick-off 4am

Saturday 16 June from 7pm* France v Australia LIVE kick-off 8pm

Monday 18 June from 12am* Germany v Mexico LIVE kick-off 1am

Tuesday 19 June from 3:30am* Tunisia v England LIVE kick-off 4am

Tuesday 19 June from 9:30pm* Colombia v Japan LIVE kick-off 10pm

Wednesday 20 June from 9:30pm* Portugal v Morocco LIVE kick-off 10pm

Thursday 21 June from 9pm Denmark v Australia LIVE kick-off 10pm

Friday 22 June from 9:30pm* Brazil v Costa Rica LIVE kick-off 10pm

Sunday 24 June from 3:30am* Germany v Sweden LIVE kick-off 4am

Sunday 24 June from 9:30pm* England v Panama LIVE kick-off 10pm

Monday 25 June TBC - following earlier Group A and B matches

Tuesday 26 June from 11pm* Australia v Peru LIVE kick-off 12am

Wednesday 27 June TBC – following earlier Group E and F matches

Thursday 28 June TBC – following earlier Group G and H matches

SBS’s coverage of the Round of 16 and Quarter Finals will be announced throughout the tournament.

Wednesday 11 July from 3:30am* 2018 FIFA World Cup semi-final 1 LIVE kick-off 4am

Thursday 12 July from 3:30am* 2018 FIFA World Cup semi-final 2 LIVE kick-off 4am

Saturday 14 July from 11pm* 2018 FIFA World Cup play-off for 3rd LIVE kick-off 12am

Sunday 15 July from 11pm* 2018 FIFA World Cup final LIVE kick-off 1am

*All times are AEST and are subject to change

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/art...nounce-broadcast-schedule-2018-fifa-world-cup

I think they're making a big mistake by showing the third place playoff, the game i regard as a glorified international friendly.
Friendlies are on TV sometimes too so I don't see what the problem is. Just another chance to see people play.

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Friendlies are on TV sometimes too so I don't see what the problem is. Just another chance to see people play.

I just hope that by showing the third place playoff, they don't miss out on a round of 16 match or a QF, which i think is more important than showing the playoff for 3rd. I follow Soccer and Rugby Union and have never had a desire to watch a third place playoff even when the Wallabies played in the 2011 RWC 3rd place playoff.

I just hope that by showing the third place playoff, they don't miss out on a round of 16 match or a QF, which i think is more important than showing the playoff for 3rd. I follow Soccer and Rugby Union and have never had a desire to watch a third place playoff even when the Wallabies played in the 2011 RWC 3rd place playoff.
I think if you have Optus you can watch every game live.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
Only 25? Don't they usually show them all?

I'd imagine they'd pass on some of the double ups in the last round of matches in the group stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back