World Cup 2018 FIFA World Cup General Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

No doubt it’s been covered, but why can’t SBS show the game clock. It’s ridiculous if there not allowed to show it.

My stream has gone crappiola again so distorted I can’t even make out the players i’ve Tried both streams Optus and SBS the some. Optus are a bloody disgrace!

Dunno if it helps but I found this whilst trawling through reports on our game against France and posted it on the Bay

By the way, for anyone who has the now infamous Optus streaming problem

Apparently if you use their website you are forced to 144p because of anti-siphoning laws, forcing you onto SBS. Same reason why AFL Live is bobbins

However, if you have an Optus mobile account, you can run it off your 4G data with no connection issues and at the maximum resolution of your phone - it won’t count towards any internet cap you have

For the record, I’ve got a Fetch box connected to my TV, and have not had one single problem either with the stream dropping out or quality, so I do suspect it is a device issue

Dunno if it helps but I found this whilst trawling through reports on our game against France and posted it on the Bay

For the record, I’ve got a Fetch box connected to my TV, and have not had one single problem either with the stream dropping out or quality, so I do suspect it is a device issue

Yeah I suspected as such that the fetch box wouldn’t have any issues.
I’m not on the Optus network so the 4G won’t help me.

Having said that the quality this second half has be much better still not the best quality but watchable at least.

Yeah I suspected as such that the fetch box wouldn’t have any issues.
I’m not on the Optus network so the 4G won’t help me.

Having said that the quality this second half has be much better still not the best quality but watchable at least.

It’s just been weird hearing how bad it’s been. I am aware from my line of work that devices do have differing outcomes of quality, but for me to see everything perfectly and what seems now like literally everyone else to be staring at a green screen with multicoloured blocks moving about is ridiculous

We were lucky with our Fetch box - was chucked in free along with the sports package because our phones and internet are all with Optus, and it was at the time they did their huge PL marketing campaign

I wasn’t going to say no :)

It’s just been weird hearing how bad it’s been. I am aware from my line of work that devices do have differing outcomes of quality, but for me to see everything perfectly and what seems now like literally everyone else to be staring at a green screen with multicoloured blocks moving about is ridiculous

We were lucky with our Fetch box - was chucked in free along with the sports package because our phones and internet are all with Optus, and it was at the time they did their huge PL marketing campaign

I wasn’t going to say no :)

Yeah lucky you I guess not so for us streaming off the app. :) I’m using my sisters account Maybe I should ask her to Pop into an Optus store and get me one of them fetch mini box’s for $5 a month, looks like it seems to be worth it.

Yeah lucky you I guess not so for us streaming off the app. :) I’m using my sisters account Msybe I should ask her to Pop into an Optus store and get me one of them fetch mini box’s for $5 a month, looks like it seems to be worth it.

Honestly I’m happy with it, I certainly don’t miss Foxtel, and their sport channels are great, particularly with the PL - all the shows I miss from my time living in the old dart

Then again, it’s not like I’ll go out of my way to watch my beloved dogs lately...

TFW when you pay 15 bucks for Optus and end up having to use "alternate means" to watch Argentina vs Iceland (and apart from one refresh it's perfect) :poo:

I didn't see either of the goals from that game while trying to watch through Optus :mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My streams have been 95% perfect at worst, feeding off NBN in Brisbane. Surprised by the Optus experience thus far, thought it would be dodgier than the crisp viewings I've had thus far.

I've seen every match bar Morocco-Iran and the 2nd half of Croatia-Nigeria. Feels fairly open based on available evidence, enjoying this feast of football thoroughly.

Russia vs Saudi Arabia - 9/10

5 goals in a game and in an opening one at that, not much more you can ask for really. The stoppage time goals is what made me rate it so high.

Egypt vs Uruguay - 4/10. Very nearly a 3, but the late winner salvaged it and gave us something I suppose.

Morocco vs Iran - 2.5/10. The Irani's faking injury etc and the match itself, didn't make for good viewing. Fell asleep at the 85th minute mark.

Portugal vs Spain - 10/10 - Best world cup game I've ever seen. Amazing. Many ups and downs and goals galore. Exquisite finishing.

France vs Australia - 7.5/10 - Loved the way we went about it. France were dominating early and I thought it was only a matter of time. We got back in the game and tested Lloris with a cross into the box. Great effort to go into the break 0-0 and surprise many people. Even better effort to tie the game at 1-1 and we were the better side imo overall despite not really creating any chances. France scored out of the blue with a bolt from Pogba and that was the difference. World class sides can score from nowhere. They did it in their opener last euro vs Romania and similar fashion against the Albanian's. It was a good contest and great fight.

Argentina vs Iceland - 7.5/10 - Tactical battle and two contrasting styles. The Icelandic's were disciplined in their defensive approach as were the Argentinian's with their patience, calmness and attempt at breaking down their physically strong opponents. Messi persevered all game as the Argentinian's camped themselves offensively on the opposing teams goal. A nice strategic battle and Iceland held their nerve. Should have brought on Higuian earlier to attempt some success aerially, but stuck to long with their one dimensional game plan. Enjoyed the chess game nonetheless and Group D is beautifully poised.

Peru vs Denmark - 6/10 - I didn't really enjoy this game. It wasn't bad, it wasn't great. Peru were the better side and deserved to win. Couldn't take their chances and will be ruing a missed penalty that was horrendous at best. Had that goal came we would have saw a very different match with Peru playing even more flair and confidence with the Danes trying to break them down.

Croatia vs Nigeria - 6/10 - The only thing good about it were the goals. I was disappointed with Croatia tbh. I expected more. They weren't troubled but I saw none of the slick passing and brilliance they displayed last Euro.

Hard to argue there. I'd give a higher rating to Denmark-Peru, nice free flowing football with lots of moments, never got dull. Found both sides likeable.
Fair enough. Watched the game semi tired, may not have judged it with 100 percent accuracy.

Contenders

1. Spain for me has looked the best. Got off to a shaky start but were very good indeed thereafter. Had all the momentum after the 15 min mark or so and could have easily gone in front with Isco's rocket cannoning off the bar onto the goal line. De Gea cost them momentum with that howler but even then had the mental strength to climb back into the contest and take the lead. Looked like the Spain of 2008-2012. Costa could have killed the game off with a hattrick but scuffed his shot wide. Would have been a sensational win through adversity if not for De Gea's second blunder where he left too much room on one side of the post.

2. Despite the above Portugal put up a very good showing of their own and could have stole all 3 points with Ronnie missing a header after his free kick which he also deserves credit for. A wasted chance to go 2-0 up early and the Portuguese probably would have been out of sight. A very dangerous outfit on the counter and can score in an instant with King Ronnie up front.

3. Could have put the Argies on par with the Portuguse if not for Messi missing a penalty but he did miss therefore I can not. They still looked dangerous and played a patient, possession based game camped on the edge of the Icelandic's box. Gave up a couple of early chances but that was it from that point on. They were never tested. Pavon injected some pace and life when brought onto the left hand side. Would have brought on Higuain earlier to test them aerially but he came on a little late. Messi - MOM, was brilliant and did everything right bar score. Early days and last world cups runners will prove a dangerous outfit regardless who they play.

4. France - Didn't show much at all really apart from the first 15. In general play I think they were second best and out hustled and out worked. Won the match due to individual brilliance and possessing a top player crop. I have them as 4th best from what we've seen THUS far only because the ones after them were not any better.

Spain, Portugal, Argentina after them by an inch then France.

Uruguay didn't impress me and I'd fancy Spain and the Portuguese should they encounter in the second stage. Croatia, same boat, but based on what we've seen wouldn't be scared of playing the French themselves. Would tip France at this stage because of their talent, not game play or tactics.

So dumb question maybe. But when watching (and its working and with no pixelation) it looks like i am watching a computer game. Is there some setting i need to select either on my laptop or my sony smart tv which is hdmi connected to said laptop?
I have tried using my optus phone as a personal hotspot and my nbn home connection (aussie bb) and both options are fairly crap with all the drop out issues people have reported and when it’s working it feels like im watching fifa computer games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back