World Cup 2018 FIFA World Cup General Discussion Thread

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
That was tried for 45 years and failed
Thank you. As much as I admire and love the balkan nation's football and people, I scoff when I hear this nonsense. Especially when the Croatians say '' In our short history we've did this '' or '' with such a small population yadda yadda yadda ''

bullshit. You had all those players, all those years, at all those tournaments and never won a *en thing.

Now I will give them a compliment. On tonights world cup program Fozz was quick to applaud Croatia for what they've contributed to our game both at coaching and playing, at all levels. And the Croatian/Serbian community as a whole as people. They are fantastic and have given our game a lot. It is great to see them producing great players who ply their trade for some of Europe's best and to see them reach the World Cup Final on the back of a strong showing last Euro is tremendous. Love it. Basketaball, Water Polo and at Football these guys are sensational. I Love their women too. Gorgeous.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
How's team of the tournament looking you guys think?

Lloris
Vrsaljko? Varane Umtiti Hernandez?
Modric Kante
Perisic KDB Hazard
Kane
Wasn't really sure on fullbacks, Courtois another strong contender for GK. Pickford too. Lukaku unlucky. I'd have Neymar on the bench too. Can't think of many others right now.

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'd love to see Croatia win the final but i think the road they've taken to make it will end up taking too much out of them. Croatia played just over 360 minutes worth of football from their 3 knockout games to make the final. On the other hand, France won all 3 of their knockout games in 90 minutes.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Both of them were not starters in 98, yet to peak etc. Henry would be there in a heartbeat if that was the case :D

And so would Pires!

Very true. Henry was a wayward winger back then, coming off the bench. Was still at Monaco at the time I believe (or may have been purchased that summer by Juve, can’t exactly remember).

Quite amazing that France won that Cup without a genuine forward. Guivarc’h was average that tournament and had very little end product.

Both goals in their semi win over Croatia were scored by Thuram, his first ever for the country. And then a Zidane brace and Petit finisher in the final. Goals from midfield and defence helped them lift the Cup.

That semi was an absolute classic. Suker’s opener right after half time after a Thuram error. Was very excited when Suker signed for Arsenal, but things didn’t go that well for him. He was lethal that tournament.

And then out of nowhere, Thuram scores twice and that was that. The Blanc red card was a farce though, unfortunately he missed the final because of it.

I'd love to see Croatia win the final but i think the road they've taken to make it will end up taking too much out of them. Croatia played just over 360 minutes worth of football from their 3 knockout games to make the final. On the other hand, France won all 3 of their knockout games in 90 minutes.

If Croatia win, its because they have the minutes and miles in their legs.
If Croatia lose, its because they played over 360 minutes of football

Apparently England and Sweden got fined Eu 50k for illegal socks. The next world cup is in ******* Qatar. Good to know FIFA got their priorities right.
Nice to see they were fined more for incorrect socks than their last fine handed out for racism...

Now face a fine over chanting.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Very true. Henry was a wayward winger back then, coming off the bench. Was still at Monaco at the time I believe (or may have been purchased that summer by Juve, can’t exactly remember).

Quite amazing that France won that Cup without a genuine forward. Guivarc’h was average that tournament and had very little end product.

Both goals in their semi win over Croatia were scored by Thuram, his first ever for the country. And then a Zidane brace and Petit finisher in the final. Goals from midfield and defence helped them lift the Cup.

That semi was an absolute classic. Suker’s opener right after half time after a Thuram error. Was very excited when Suker signed for Arsenal, but things didn’t go that well for him. He was lethal that tournament.

And then out of nowhere, Thuram scores twice and that was that. The Blanc red card was a farce though, unfortunately he missed the final because of it.
Thuram will forever be one of my favourite players.

Not only his first ever, they were the only two goals he ever scored for France too.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Between France 98 and France 18, who features in the best of those squads?

Lloris
Thuram Desailly Varane Lizarazu
Kante Petit
Djorkaeff Zidane
Griezmann
Giroud
The best I can come up with.

Blanc >> Varane
Viera >> Kante
Henry >> Giroud
Pgb >> Djorkaeef

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Blanc >> Varane
Viera >> Kante
Henry >> Giroud
Pgb >> Djorkaeef
Yeah I will definitely agree with Blanc.

But like I said earlier, Henry had not reached his prime, nor had Vieira. No Djorkaeff and add Pogba you've got even less width. I don't doubt he is a better player though.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Yeah I will definitely agree with Blanc.

But like I said earlier, Henry had not reached his prime, nor had Vieira. No Djorkaeff and add Pogba you've got even less width. I don't doubt he is a better player though.

Ah my mistake. Thuram & Lizarazu to provide the width. You need some athleticism in the midfield with Zidane roaming around where he pleases. Petit really needs to be slotted in somewhere.

Back