World Cup 2018 FIFA World Cup General Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

All the media want to do is make out how bad big bad Russia is. I've only seen negative press about this WC. Some positive news would be welcome.

There was even more positive stuff coming out of South Africa, with the shanty town debacle in Johannesburg

Glad I'm not the only one that feels the same. I'm not feeling it this time around or seeing it.
ATM, I'm still trying to decide if I CBF'ed organising FetchTV or an Optus Sport subscription to watch it. Really not feeling as excited as previous tournaments.

ATM, I'm still trying to decide if I CBF'ed organising FetchTV or an Optus Sport subscription to watch it. Really not feeling as excited as previous tournaments.
I get ya. It's a * around isn't it. I reckon just get it mate it's a once every 4 year thing. With Optus if you're careful like with the EPL i'm assuming you can watch the highlights without seeing the scores with games you cbf watching in full. The one's you do want to watch in full just watch it on delay without checking the scores also.

You think maybe because with each world cup we're getting older and it doesn't have the same appeal as it used to? Or the lack of build up/both?

What reasons for you contributes to the lack of excitement?

All the media want to do is make out how bad big bad Russia is. I've only seen negative press about this WC. Some positive news would be welcome.

There was even more positive stuff coming out of South Africa, with the shanty town debacle in Johannesburg
Haha. An axe murder or a robber, take your pick.

I get ya. It's a **** around isn't it. I reckon just get it mate it's a once every 4 year thing. With Optus if you're careful like with the EPL i'm assuming you can watch the highlights without seeing the scores with games you cbf watching in full. The one's you do want to watch in full just watch it on delay without checking the scores also.

You think maybe because with each world cup we're getting older and it doesn't have the same appeal as it used to? Or the lack of build up/both?

What reasons for you contributes to the lack of excitement?

I’m a late comer to football, only started following football in my early 20’s (41 now), so it’s not World Cup overload in my case.

Honestly, I think it’s because it’s getting harder and harder to take seriously a sport and tournament that is run by such a joke of an organization. Russia? Ok, I can sorta be ok with that. But 2022 in Qatar? WTF??!?!

I’ll watch all the Socceroos games, but beyond that, I’m just not super enthused right now.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

His behaviour causes issues. He smokes, drinks and has been late for NT meetings. He's also criticised teammates who were picked ahead of him. He may have had a point, but statements like that aren't helping anyone. Wilmots didn't select him for Brazil '14 either. Martinez also gave a tactical explanation in the past, saying that he's best at Roma playing as a 10, while that doesn't work for Belgium, partly because Hazard and Mertens are preferred to him in that area, and that Nainggolan is not the type to accept being a sub. I think it's mostly about his personality really.

He scored twice at the Euros (our only goals against Sweden and Wales, so important goals really), but I can imagine his presence would have an effect on the other players and can undermine the coaching staff. He comes across as quite a dominant character. He's definitely good enough but we're not exactly short of players in midfield.

The Reddit thread on it is bemoaning Martinez squandering the golden generation but looking at the squad that midfield is still fantastic even without Nainggolan. Based on what you said about him he made the right choice to leave him at home. You want players that want to bleed for the shirt and if players like Witsel are far more likely to give his all and not disrupt the team then the choice should be easy.

Of course if Belgium underperform in Russia the pundits will point to leaving out Nainggolan.

The Reddit thread on it is bemoaning Martinez squandering the golden generation but looking at the squad that midfield is still fantastic even without Nainggolan. Based on what you said about him he made the right choice to leave him at home. You want players that want to bleed for the shirt and if players like Witsel are far more likely to give his all and not disrupt the team then the choice should be easy.

Of course if Belgium underperform in Russia the pundits will point to leaving out Nainggolan.

I was reading quotes from professional coaches (in other sports) and a professor about leadership. They were all backing Martinez really. Nainggolan isn't the first talented player who is left out of a NT, and Martinez isn't even the first coach to not take him to a WC. Everything points at Nainggolan being a difficult character who could undermine Martinez.

Even on paper we're not a top 4 country, so a QF, after going out against Brazil or Germany, should do. We didn't play well in Brazil but going out in the QF against an Argentina that only lost the final in extra time can't be called underperforming. Only the tournament in France was a big disappointment with poor games against Italy, Sweden and Wales.

I’m a late comer to football, only started following football in my early 20’s (41 now), so it’s not World Cup overload in my case.

Honestly, I think it’s because it’s getting harder and harder to take seriously a sport and tournament that is run by such a joke of an organization. Russia? Ok, I can sorta be ok with that. But 2022 in Qatar? WTF??!?!

I’ll watch all the Socceroos games, but beyond that, I’m just not super enthused right now.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I couldn't agree more. I think I've lost a fair bit of respect for a lot of sports. Plenty of corruption involved. FIFA is the main cultprit, corrupt bastards. I didn't even know Platini was suspended from FIFA and he come out and said recently that in the 98 draw they kept France and Brazil in opposite sides of the draw on purpose should they both of won their groups, which they did.

QATAR haha what a joke. It was proved as you know they took bribes to vote for QATAR, yet they still let them host it. What a joke that is.

I was reading quotes from professional coaches (in other sports) and a professor about leadership. They were all backing Martinez really. Nainggolan isn't the first talented player who is left out of a NT, and Martinez isn't even the first coach to not take him to a WC. Everything points at Nainggolan being a difficult character who could undermine Martinez.

Even on paper we're not a top 4 country, so a QF, after going out against Brazil or Germany, should do. We didn't play well in Brazil but going out in the QF against an Argentina that only lost the final in extra time can't be called underperforming. Only the tournament in France was a big disappointment with poor games against Italy, Sweden and Wales.
Wales was poor after leading. Italy were just hot and could have won by more, yet could have also drawed. Lukaku just missing after a poor Italy turnover and Buffon rushed him. Origi header late on was a guilt edged chance. Sweden were s**t but drew with Ireland and it took Italy a late, late Eder goal to win it. You guys belted the Irish lol.

Yeah 2014 what do you do Argies were meant to go far. Higuian got the spoils that day.

It would have been good from a neautral perspective if you played the Poms earlier. Top spot will Be on the line still but whoever finishes 2nd will still fancy themselves against whoever tops Group H. Then again maybe a team can be in ominous form like a Colombia 2014 and want to be avoided.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know if it's wishing more than reality but I can envision Egypt beating Uruguay first up. $5.25 is a good price and win or draw at around the $2 mark is pretty tasteful. I think they get something from that game.

Uruguays opening games haven't been kind in their 3 world cups this century.

2002 - loss to Denmark
2010 - 0-0 France
2014 - 3-1 loss to Costa Rica

A bit of recent history is always good to have in your favour. Doesn't mean it will pan out that way, but a little bit is better than none!

Salah to shine!!!

Goalkeepers: Hugo Lloris (Tottenham Hotspur), Steve Mandanda (Marseille), Alphonse Areola (Paris Saint-Germain)

Defenders: Djibril Sidibe (Monaco), Benjamin Pavard (Stuttgart), Adil Rami (Marseille), Raphael Varane (Real Madrid), Samuel Umtiti (Barcelona), Presnel Kimpembe (Paris Saint-Germain), Benjamin Mendy (Manchester City), Lucas Hernandez (Atletico Madrid)

Midfielders: Paul Pogba (Manchester United), Blaise Matuidi (Juventus), Corentin Tolisso (Bayern Munich), N'Golo Kante (Chelsea), Steven Nzonzi (Sevilla)

Forwards: Kylian Mbappe (Paris Saint-Germain), Olivier Giroud (Chelsea), Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid), Ousmane Dembele (Barcelona), Florian Thauvin (Marseille), Thomas Lemar (Monaco), Nabil Fekir (Lyon)

Reserves: Mathieu Debuchy (Saint-Etienne), Anthony Martial (Manchester United), Moussa Sissoko (Tottenham Hotspur), Alexandre Lacazette (Arsenal), Wissam Ben Yedder (Sevilla), Lucas Digne (Barcelona), Kingsley Coman (Bayern Munich), Benoit Costil (Bordeaux), Adrien Rabiot (Paris Saint-Germain), Mamadou Sakho (Crystal Palace), Kurt Zouma (Chelsea)

Unreal squad and for me the 2018 Champions.
Interesting Mendy gets called up despite missing basically the whole season

Think they're a bit heavy on the wingers/AMs and a bit light in central midfield, pretty sure they rolled a 4-3-3 at Euro 2016, having only 5 CMs is a bit light for mine if they roll with 3 in midfield again

South Africa wasn't governed by an authoritarian leader with a proclivity for murdering his own and annexation. Not really the football department's fault but Russia ****ed up if they wanted this to be a feel good story.

South Africa wasn't governed by an authoritarian leader with a proclivity for murdering his own and annexation. Not really the football department's fault but Russia ****** up if they wanted this to be a feel good story.
Well said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back