World Cup 2018 FIFA World Cup General Discussion Thread

May 15, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The Cobblers who do the Cobbling
Agree with Fozzie on last nights world cup show. It will be sad to see the world cup go, and see it drawing to an end. In the past as he also mentioned I was excited about the big games and couldn't wait for them. Now it;s the opposite and the big games mean less of them, and the tournaments almost done and dusted.

What I will not miss is the scattered sleep and tired state it puts you in however. When you do catch up on sleep, usually the next day it's rinse repeat with world cup/less sleep. It's hard to get any momentum in normal day living/tasks like going to the gym etc. Rest days are good because you can get consecutive nights sleep and normal activity and into your groove. Amazing how great you feel and take it for granted the life we live. Pretty awesome when you live a great balanced life. Additionally I hate having to avoid the missus for even an expression or tone and I could figure out the result. It can be a pain of the ass trying to watch games without knowing the score and almost becomes like a choir. It's been a fascinating ride despite this and will reiterate that the rest days in between games are fantastic because they're rest days for us. Being rested and in normality is a treat with world cup soccer still to be played.

If only we had the world cup here in 2022. **** you FIFA. **** you Qatar.

Are you related to Silent Alarm ?

I hope your sleep pattern returns soon, not sure how you cope

John H

Team Captain
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Is the World Cup whitewashing Russia's crimes?

It’s among the killing fields of Syria, the devastated urban landscapes of East Ghouta, Aleppo and Homs, annihilated by Russian missiles, artillery shells, white phosphorous munitions and cluster bombs, that Russia is hammering out its new world order.

Russia is not a normal country. Leaving aside its role as the head of the growing Authoritarian International, this is a country that celebrated the birthday of Putin by firing cruise missiles from the Caspian into civilian areas of what was then Free Aleppo. It’s a nation gripped by an ultra-militaristic, chauvinistic, mentality.

And it is winning on multiple different levels - Russia is successfully degrading the mode of ethics that allegedly conditions world order. It seeks to turn the world into an abode of monsters, of authoritarian tyrants, of which it is something of a vanguard.

https://www.trtworld.com/opinion/is-the-world-cup-whitewashing-russia-s-crimes--18788

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A world cup every 4 years is the perfect reminder to cherish the real footy.

Semi final that had less action than the Suns board, let alone a Suns game and France played the way to push all neutrals England way
“Soccer” will probably overtake footy by the middle of this century. Immigration from Europe and Asia will be the cause of it

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We've heard a lot about the ''footballs's coming home song'', but i liked ''Sing It For England'' from the 2010 World Cup.

''All I've ever known is a long walk home of disappointment.''

''Time and time again always the nearly men but I'll just keep on dreaming''.

I hope those two quoted lines from the song will be ringing true post this World Cup.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
France vs Croatia is the final which would least hype me this time, even if quality sides.
^Prior to the quarter finals.

Oh well. Will get behind Croatia (like most I suspect), but France given what they've shown and the extra time disparity over the last 3 games should go in as strong favourites. Whether France do enough, or pile on, we'll have to wait and see.

Griezmann has had this weird golden boy/nice guy feel about him, and then you have the Mbappe sensation, not even born when France won the (relatively recent) 1998 World Cup. Not to mention the likes of Lloris, Pogba, Giroud, etc. The physical and emotional exhaustion of Croatia surviving those aet knockouts and making a World Cup final might result in France saving their best for last.

Last edited:

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
One of the smaller European nations will get to the semi finals. A Denmark, Croatia or Poland. I just hope Argentina can do it for Messi and just as another **** you to Brazil. Anyone but Brazil for me, even England.
good call

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I fancy the poms this time around to get to the quarters.

Colombia
Poland { My tip for top but don't count on it }
Senegal
Japan

Regardless where they finish in group G, England will fancy themselves against any of those. They've got enough experience now as well as some young guns { where have we heard that before } but the 2nd round curse or worse has to end at some stage. I think this is it, particularly back on European soil.

1990 - semi finals { played Belgium Incidentally }
1998 - 2nd round { played Tunisia in the group }
2006 - Quarter Finals

The last 3 world cups in Europe they've produced fair results and they were robbed imo in 1998.

Poms will have some luck this time around and they deserve it.
They sure did. But it ran out, as it always does.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Midfield creativity of a sponge. It's literally the "Let's hope Harry Kane can score us goals" team. That's what it was during qualifying. 5 players who scored 7 goals between them will not be at the WC. Lallana, Sturridge, Bertrand (stupidly) and Ox. Considering they only scored 18 goals in 10 matches, that is a lot of scoring to miss. It isn't exactly being made up either. Sterling struggled for England all the time as he doesn't have the Manc players around him to feed him. Rashford and Lingard are underwhelming at international level, I mean they are regular substitutes for Manure rather than starters. Dele Alli hasn't been in great form either. They are relying on an Italian way of playing.
Bradesman 10
England and their fan boys nil

Back