World Cup 2018 FIFA World Cup-Group C Thread (Australia, France, Peru, Denmark)

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Mooy was average as * against Peru. Sat far too deep and had no influence on the game with the ball. Alot of sideways passing. Not alot of quick switching or balls up the middle. Mooy doesn't screen well and doesn't win back much ball so we may aswell have played another screening mid. We had Leckie Kruse and Juric playing as 3 hold up strikers all coming back towards the ball and laying it off. We have no ability to get in behind when Rogic isn't involved.

Juric is crap, can't believe he is the best Australian striker in the world right now. Couldn't even hold up the ball well let alone make dangerous runs or atleast open space for Leckie and Kruse.

Why the * we brought on Irvine who to me looks like a s**t box to box midfielder with no passing ability when we had Luongo on the bench is a mystery. Arzani took more shots on goal than Juric and Kruse combined, the other didn't even want too.

What an insipid performance by our main man, the coach!!!

Going into a game where a win is a must and he leaves our most promising talent since Harry and Cahill on the bench.

FFS, Cahill should’ve been in the starting line up as captain!!!

You start with your strongest and most talented players and work with that.

It’s all down hill for the Socceroos.

Graham Arnold as our next coach... what were they thinking? How hard would it have been to ask an ex-WC from Brazil, Italy or Argentina player to take the team on for 5 years who are down on their luck or those that are looking for a job. Surely to God, there is someone out there.

We need to import more players to make our leagues stronger, give them Australian citizenship so they can play for Australia. It could be there only chance to compete in the WC, albeit not with their home country of birth.
Those countries you mention struggle with English as a language and similar culture

There's a reason why South Americans/Latinos head for the likes of Italy, Spain or Portugal during their careers

Dutch and German types have English as a second language, most of them learning it at school or on the job. Dialogue seems easier with these types.

Our biggest problem is that our most talented and established players have taken a lot longer than they ideally would to get where they are. Mooy, Ryan and Leckie are 27 and have only just established themselves in quality leagues (for now at least), Rogic has been held back by injuries for years and Sainsbury plays in China.

Also for naturalised types, they can't have played at youth level for their original nation, very hard for us to get them types. Probably African refugees who are resettled here are our best bet in this regard.

Only Isaias is on the way for naturalisation and he's a Segunda Division level player at best

Disappointed when didn't score an open play goal. Just two penaltys.Rojic needs some help up front. Hopefully the next Kahill or Vaduka is around in 4 years time.

Annoyed, Germany are my favorite team outside the Aussies. The last two tournaments they were probably the best team, passing was clinical, very physical and great finishers up front, just enjoyable to watch. Yeah this squad is younger and a few of their stars have moved on, but no excuse for what they dished up today, was the worst I've seen them play in a long time. Credit to Korea, they came out in that second half and played their hearts out

Wanted to see a Germany vs Brazil rematch

Anyone else think VAR is a joke that is easily prone to being manipulated, biased and open to match fixing?

Not saying there was anything sinister here. But watching he review/reply of Koreas first goal. The TV broadcaster showed many angles, including a couple that made the Korean player look marginally offside by inches, though benefit of the doubt given. Yet when the referee went to review it, they only showed/gave him TWO angles to review out of the many possible ones, which also happened to be the worst two angles, one that doesn't even show the German defender, and another from a camera that looks like it was way back towards the centerline, like WTF?

For a billion dollar industry they cannot even get something as simple as VAR right, and if you're going to allow a review, why withhold some footage? Why not show the referee all of them? Then to toss in the clear offside for Peru vs Australia, yet somehow all the muppets in the box thought he was onside. FIFA doing little to fix their image, still cannot even trust them

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else think VAR is a joke that is easily prone to being manipulated, biased and open to match fixing?

Not saying there was anything sinister here. But watching he review/reply of Koreas first goal. The TV broadcaster showed many angles, including a couple that made the Korean player look marginally offside by inches, though benefit of the doubt given. Yet when the referee went to review it, they only showed/gave him TWO angles to review out of the many possible ones, which also happened to be the worst two angles, one that doesn't even show the German defender, and another from a camera that looks like it was way back towards the centerline, like WTF?

For a billion dollar industry they cannot even get something as simple as VAR right, and if you're going to allow a review, why withhold some footage? Why not show the referee all of them? Then to toss in the clear offside for Peru vs Australia, yet somehow all the muppets in the box thought he was onside. FIFA doing little to fix their image, still cannot even trust them

Wasn’t it deemed that the ball hit the German player therefore ruling the South Korean player onside? The replay was clear as day that it hit him too. Random question: are you German?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah I kinda guessed. Hint: Sainsbury, Jedinak, Leckie, Ryan and others started their careers there.
They all did their juniors at local clubs. Sainsbury went to Perth Glory as a 16 year old. The others much later.
Jedinak started his career at Sydney United, Leckie at Bulleen Lions and Ryan at Marconi and Blacktown.
Not sure what point your trying to make. A 10 year old just can't walk up to an a-league club and start playing because they don't cater for juniors.

They all did their juniors at local clubs. Sainsbury went to Perth Glory as a 16 year old. The others much later.
Jedinak started his career at Sydney United, Leckie at Bulleen Lions and Ryan at Marconi and Blacktown.
Not sure what point your trying to make. A 10 year old just can't walk up to an a-league club and start playing because they don't cater for juniors.
My point was your notion that A-League clubs are made to be profitable and not bring youth through is ridiculous.

Glory, Adelaide, Mariners and other clubs are heavily focused on promoting youth. I think victory would be the only club that makes profit, barely.

My point was your notion that A-League clubs are made to be profitable and not bring youth through is ridiculous.

Glory, Adelaide, Mariners and other clubs are heavily focused on promoting youth. I think victory would be the only club that makes profit, barely.
These clubs pluck these players after being developed by local community clubs. What i'm saying is that a-league clubs need to put in place a junior structure that starts at u9's and finishes with the senior team. They don't do that because it's not cost effective.

These clubs pluck these players after being developed by local community clubs. What i'm saying is that a-league clubs need to put in place a junior structure that starts at u9's and finishes with the senior team. They don't do that because it's not cost effective.
They have junior teams...

Bresciano played as a 10. Mooy is a 6 so more comparable to Grella.
I don’t mind Mooy but would still have Bresc and Grella over him

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure about that. Just curious, how many HT games have you seen? From the few I've watched and the analysis I've read, he seems more like an 8 than a 6. Hogg usually plays as the typical 6, though they'd both be sitting deeper than an 8 depending on the formation. Mooy was definitely the more expansive of the two though.

IMO Mooy plays his best football as an 8 or a 10. This WC he seemed to be a bit deeper than he would at HT which limited his ability to unlock the opposition. That said, heat map shows he still managed to get forward quite a bit but looked too afraid of making any incisive balls or running with the ball at all. Set pieces were all over the place and defensively he was patchy (Pogba and Eriksen goal he was ball watching).

Just didn't rate his performances at all but I'm not sold on Luongo or Irvine either. Mass might've been a bit more dynamic though.

At the risk of sounding casual don't we have a bunch of players in the Bundesliga? Or do they warm the bench for 20 games a season before moving back to the A-League in time for their 30th birthday?

Last edited:
I agree mooy seemed subdued or over awed. Wasnt at his passing best. Cahill shouldnt have played at all. Luongo should have had some minutes. Overall we had our chances and didnt take them. Lack that killer instinct up forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back