World Cup 2018 FIFA World Cup-Group C Thread (Australia, France, Peru, Denmark)

Remove this Banner Ad

I would have started cahill and arzani straight away. Why wait until the last minutes to bring them on when you are chasing a win? You can sub them off at half time or so. We had to throw everything at peru and take a risk.

Because if you sub them off at HT at 0-0 and then we concede, what do you do?

Arzani's best asset is his pace. He doesn't have the tank to play 90.

Pace? It is clearly his dribbling, which requires a short burst of energy as he dips the shoulder. As he tires he loses a bit of that speed but so do the defenders. Most of those full-backs at WC level are just as quick anyway. I agree he cannot play the 90 minutes but he can play around 60 to 70. It was a mistake not starting him against Peru and arguably Denmark.

Pace? It is clearly his dribbling, which requires a short burst of energy as he dips the shoulder. As he tires he loses a bit of that speed but so do the defenders. Most of those full-backs at WC level are just as quick anyway. I agree he cannot play the 90 minutes but he can play around 60 to 70. It was a mistake not starting him against Peru and arguably Denmark.

He can't even play A-League for 90 minutes.. You reckon he can go with elite players for 60-70 minutes? You reckon maybe giving him 30-40 minutes at the back end of the game might be better for him?

Arzani's energy advantage is only noticeable because he comes on when the opposition are tired with fresh legs. If he was to start, this advantage would be significantly diminished because everyone has fresh legs at the start.

Anyone else think VAR is a joke that is easily prone to being manipulated, biased and open to match fixing?

Not saying there was anything sinister here. But watching he review/reply of Koreas first goal. The TV broadcaster showed many angles, including a couple that made the Korean player look marginally offside by inches, though benefit of the doubt given. Yet when the referee went to review it, they only showed/gave him TWO angles to review out of the many possible ones, which also happened to be the worst two angles, one that doesn't even show the German defender, and another from a camera that looks like it was way back towards the centerline, like WTF?

For a billion dollar industry they cannot even get something as simple as VAR right, and if you're going to allow a review, why withhold some footage? Why not show the referee all of them? Then to toss in the clear offside for Peru vs Australia, yet somehow all the muppets in the box thought he was onside. FIFA doing little to fix their image, still cannot even trust them
He was played onside as the ball hit and came off the German defender when the Korean team mate passed the ball. So it actually wasn't offside.

VAR is a joke though.

Arzani's energy advantage is only noticeable because he comes on when the opposition are tired with fresh legs. If he was to start, this advantage would be significantly diminished because everyone has fresh legs at the start.

FMD.

Max Vieri and Ahmad Elrich.
They’re hacks. It’s Alex Brosque. He’s the clinical striker Australia needs, been a really good youth player but his control is sort of ageless and his strikes are going to beat any keeper. The new Sydney FC is going to open so many doors, and you can’t help but think Dwight Yorke will rub off on him. Surely he’s as good as Kewell was at the same age? Maybe our first bonafide striker for a Man U or Barcelona?

We are better defensively without Arzani and Cahill. So technically even if we did concede it wouldn't matter because we didn't even score a goal from open play when they were on the bench.

They’re hacks. It’s Alex Brosque. He’s the clinical striker Australia needs, been a really good youth player but his control is sort of ageless and his strikes are going to beat any keeper. The new Sydney FC is going to open so many doors, and you can’t help but think Dwight Yorke will rub off on him. Surely he’s as good as Kewell was at the same age? Maybe our first bonafide striker for a Man U or Barcelona?

Matt Simon or GTFO.

We are better defensively without Arzani and Cahill. So technically even if we did concede it wouldn't matter because we didn't even score a goal from open play when they were on the bench.

Huh?

You are assuming that if we concede, Arzani and Cahill can come come on and help us. My argument is that why not go on the front foot then and score before the opposition by bring them on first up? Then go defensive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are assuming that if we concede, Arzani and Cahill can come come on and help us. My argument is that why not go on the front foot then and score before the opposition by bring them first up? Then go defensive.

Because Cahill and Arzani will be better playing against tiring opposition than fresh.

I don't completely agree with this. We should have taken the risk and tried something.

You don't agree that when players on the field are tired our 38 year old and 19 year old will have a greater impact?

Wasn’t it deemed that the ball hit the German player therefore ruling the South Korean player onside? The replay was clear as day that it hit him too. Random question: are you German?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I wasn't questioning the offside, I was questioning the lack of footage shown for VAR across the tournament in general. Viewers see more replays and different angles than the referees do, hence one part the reason its a joke

And no I am not German (like them though), I am actually deaf. So wasn't aware of the ball hitting the German at first because I was too busy lookin for the offside and couldn't hear what was going. Normally I don't find out things I missed before I post until I read about it a day or two later

Last edited:
Not sure about that. Just curious, how many HT games have you seen? From the few I've watched and the analysis I've read, he seems more like an 8 than a 6. Hogg usually plays as the typical 6, though they'd both be sitting deeper than an 8 depending on the formation. Mooy was definitely the more expansive of the two though.

IMO Mooy plays his best football as an 8 or a 10. This WC he seemed to be a bit deeper than he would at HT which limited his ability to unlock the opposition. That said, heat map shows he still managed to get forward quite a bit but looked too afraid of making any incisive balls or running with the ball at all. Set pieces were all over the place and defensively he was patchy (Pogba and Eriksen goal he was ball watching).

Just didn't rate his performances at all but I'm not sold on Luongo or Irvine either. Mass might've been a bit more dynamic though.

I'm not talking about his club position but where he plays for the NT. To me watching Mooy play for Australia is like watching a 6. He ain't a 10 mate, far from it.

I'm not talking about his club position but where he plays for the NT. To me watching Mooy play for Australia is like watching a 6. He ain't a 10 mate, far from it.

Well I'd agree with you there, though he was more expansive than Jedinak, who plays as the typical restricted 6.

I didn't say he was a 10 for Australia, just that IMO, he plays his best football at 8 or even 10.

First game whatever, v Denmark I'd gave gone:

Ryan
Risdon - Milligan - Sainsbury - Behich
Jedinak
Arzani - Mooy - Rogic - Leckie
McLaren

If we were hypothetically 1-1, then do this: '66 - Luongo for Jedinak. 70' Arzani for Nabbout. Last ten minutes go two strikers, taking off Mooy/Rogic for Cahill.

If we were up, then be a rat. Be defensive. Play five at the back and take off Jedinak and bring someone else on so it's a 5 - 2 - 2 - 1.

First game whatever, v Denmark I'd gave gone:

Ryan
Risdon - Milligan - Sainsbury - Behich
Jedinak
Arzani - Mooy - Rogic - Leckie
McLaren

If we were hypothetically 1-1, then do this: '66 - Luongo for Jedinak. 70' Arzani for Nabbout. Last ten minutes go two strikers, taking off Mooy/Rogic for Cahill.

If we were up, then be a rat. Be defensive. Play five at the back and take off Jedinak and bring someone else on so it's a 5 - 2 - 2 - 1.

That is possibly your best post ever ! A lot of logic in that.

Those countries you mention struggle with English as a language and similar culture

There's a reason why South Americans/Latinos head for the likes of Italy, Spain or Portugal during their careers

Dutch and German types have English as a second language, most of them learning it at school or on the job. Dialogue seems easier with these types.

Football is spoken in many languages. I am more interested in those that don't make it to those countries you mention to play in our A-league, even those that play in the next level down from their premier league (1st Div) from the South America's as that is the same standard to our A-League, if not better.

If I had the money to an A-League team, I would go on a poaching tour to slums of all the South American countries to select players whilst they are playing there street soccer with no shoes, enough for a team and wipe the floor against every team in the A-League. That is how far behind we are still on skill level.

Because our population in Australia is probably equal to one of the suburbs of Brazil's slums, we have slim pickings. It would be good to have a program set up by the FFA to bring in players from other countries into a camp similar to the AIS camp. After the completion of the camp they are put into a draft to hopefully be drafted to an A-League club. Even to look at our Indigenous community and India.

Could it be taking opportunities away from Australians, maybe.

Will it build a stronger Australian Football League to have Australians play at level where we can score a goal in play, not just from a penalty and progress to the last 16, definitely!

Until then, we will never again make it through to the last 16.

Also for naturalised types, they can't have played at youth level for their original nation, very hard for us to get them types. Probably African refugees who are resettled here are our best bet in this regard.

Only Isaias is on the way for naturalisation and he's a Segunda Division level player at best
What are you, the England cricket team?
Second thoughts perhaps the French football team is the model to follow. Shame you never had any colonies being one yourself!

Football is spoken in many languages. I am more interested in those that don't make it to those countries you mention to play in our A-league, even those that play in the next level down from their premier league (1st Div) from the South America's as that is the same standard to our A-League, if not better.

If I had the money to an A-League team, I would go on a poaching tour to slums of all the South American countries to select players whilst they are playing there street soccer with no shoes, enough for a team and wipe the floor against every team in the A-League. That is how far behind we are still on skill level.

Because our population in Australia is probably equal to one of the suburbs of Brazil's slums, we have slim pickings. It would be good to have a program set up by the FFA to bring in players from other countries into a camp similar to the AIS camp. After the completion of the camp they are put into a draft to hopefully be drafted to an A-League club. Even to look at our Indigenous community and India.

Could it be taking opportunities away from Australians, maybe.

Will it build a stronger Australian Football League to have Australians play at level where we can score a goal in play, not just from a penalty and progress to the last 16, definitely!

Until then, we will never again make it through to the last 16.
Yawn

Develop your own, keep track of your countries youth in overseas academies in Europe, not too hard

Gun kids play at under age level for their respective countries anyway

What you are suggesting is very expensive and something similar to what European teams do because they have the cash, some teams in Italy like Udinese and Palermo rely heavily on scouting then sell talented youf on for massive profit. They stay afloat due to this method but struggle to stay competitive in Serie A because these kids end up being their

Then comes VISA issues and all that. Much easier sorting out VISAs for established players or internationals. Kids from slums get noticed by local teams anywhere if they're good enough.

Quite simply we only have B and C graders at the moment, not enough play top flight football in top leagues, only Ryan, Mooy and Leckie do. Behich at Bursaspor is probably next best after them three.

Sainsbury can do better than Switzerland, Rogic can do better than flat track bullies Celtic, Risdon needs a move to a good league in Europe, not go to Japan, China or the middle east for example. Hopefully Arzani gets a move to a good league sooner rather than later, maybe one more year in the A League then off to Europe.

What are you, the England cricket team?
Second thoughts perhaps the French football team is the model to follow. Shame you never had any colonies being one yourself!
Just making a point it is very hard to naturalise players to use for our national team. Our league is not very good compared to others and is very isolated to other parts of the world where football is of a better standard. Also takes 5 years of working/living in said country normally before being eligible for citizenship. Then said player has to not have played for their original country at youth level. Rules out a player like Bruno Fornaroli for us who no doubt would be good enough for the Socceroos in his early thirties had he not played for Uruguay at youth level.

Far easier for European born kids of African or other European descent to qualify for a secondary country through family heritage, such as a parent. Or uncapped South Americans going to Europe and settling there in a country of a top league.

Look at all the Brazilian born players Brazil have missed out on over the years

Pepe, Portugal
Thiago Motta, Italy (may have had Italian ancestry too)
Jorginho, Italy
Diego Costa, Spain
Eduardo, Croatia
Mario Fernandes, Russia

Probably heaps more but they are the ones who immediately spring to mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back