World Cup 2018 FIFA World Cup-Group C Thread (Australia, France, Peru, Denmark)

Remove this Banner Ad

Then you could look at it the other way without your obvious bias towards France. France would be counting their lucky stars they got out of the game. You can say they dominated and were in control, but if the Socceroos can survive that dominance and be within a bees dick of getting some points, then playing at a similar standard against Peru and Denmark could easily see them win. The press has every right to get around the Socceroos because their performance against the star studded French line up was extremely commendable, when most people thought they would get blown away.

Yeah, I'm really not at all biased on this issue, the stats say France dominated. Yes it would have been epic to get away with a point but as it is we got no points and showed some real cause for concern that the major problem with the Ange era Socceroos is still present- no one remotely capable of turning possession into genuine chances.

Absolutely we could beat Denmark and Peru, but as I said earlier I think our best chance is heavy duty defence against what should be less fluent attacks than France and pray for a lucky break in the other direction- basically the kind of freak chance that got us a goal against France despite us creating really no genuine scoring chances.

Teams sometimes win that way but it's hardly a probable outcome, particularly when we need to get lucky twice in a row to advance- it's just the only option with such a shitty attack.

The only other possibility is that Marwijk deliberately went hyper defensive just to get the France game out of the way and will name a far more attacking lineup from this point forward. I'd be a bit more hopeful of that if the likes of Rogic and Juric didn't have 2-3 solid years of burning chances in front of goal in the green and gold.

Last edited:

Can't be bothered reading everything, but the Risdon one absolutely should not have been a penalty.

I don't think VAR even considered if he got the ball, they just saw the contact and thought the ref missed it.

The real problem soccer organisations have (other than the rampant mismanagement and corruption, of course), is that they are actually going to have to decide on what some rules are now. For a long time there have been grey areas regarding things like fair tackles, handballs, what a goalkeeper can get away with compared to outfield players, and what outfield players can get away with in the box compared with elsewhere. And more.

Don't you love that they 'trial' the technology, and even though it wasn't working & needed more trialling, they go ahead with it anyway for the friggin' WC.
My take is that we should just go back to letting people kick the s**t out of each other, take the interpretation out of it :p The english had it right back in the day all along. * these highly skilled, overpaid twats, I wanna see Griezmann, Pogba and co copping it from players who'd be lucky to earn in a year what the stars get in a week.

Seriously though, I do despair at the low bar that's set for a 'foul' by the vast majority of refs around the world. Chance of this changing- about 0%
Gotta protect the product.

My take is that we should just go back to letting people kick the s**t out of each other, take the interpretation out of it :p The english had it right back in the day all along. **** these highly skilled, overpaid twats, I wanna see Griezmann, Pogba and co copping it from players who'd be lucky to earn in a year what the stars get in a week.

Seriously though, I do despair at the low bar that's set for a 'foul' by the vast majority of refs around the world. Chance of this changing- about 0%
Gotta protect the product.
The ref didn't call it a foul at the time, so it had nothing to do with protection.

The VAR system is wrong. They saw there was contact and told the ref and then showed him those replays. But they should be able to look at all replays, analyse it, and show the ref a variety of angles in case they are conflicting (we should all know from watching sport replays over the years how a different angle can reveal a very different story).

Because it actually wasn't a foul. So much like the A-League Final, they seem to have decided in order to make sure the game doesn't wait too long for VAR, they will just accept they are gonna make errors. ... Even though the whole point is meant to be to stop errors.

Croatia will likely top group D from what I've seen. Honestly, they would concern me more than the Argies would.

Really?

Croatia other than probably Uruguay are one of our biggest rivals.

With the large % of Croatian immigrants in Aus, past history with players and the 06' world cup it would be just about the best possible result.

I'd be buzzing for it.

What has stopped them in the last 88 years from doing so?

Didn't Costa Rica make a QF four years ago?

South Korea made a semi-final all the way back in 2002 didn't they?

Turkey in 2002 as well.

Turkey in 2002 as well.
I'm talking about winning the thing. I agree any side (including our own) can get on a run and go that far. But winning the whole thing I don't see happening. Eventually these fairy-tale runs end in the WC. Not 1 has gone past a SF

I'm talking about winning the thing. I agree any side (including our own) can get on a run and go that far. But winning the whole thing I don't see happening. Eventually these fairy-tale runs end in the WC. Not 1 has gone past a SF

If you make the SF you can win it. Just because they haven't doesn't mean they couldn't. Given what's happened in the PL which is arguably more difficult (consistently over-performing over 38 games vs 7) it's a bit funny people are insisting it can't happen.

If you make the SF you can win it. Just because they haven't doesn't mean they couldn't. Given what's happened in the PL which is arguably more difficult (consistently over-performing over 38 games vs 7) it's a bit funny people are insisting it can't happen.
Until a medium level nation (Poland, Colombia etc.) wins one i think a relative minnow like Australia or Iceland can't even think about considering this. We should aim for a 2nd round / QF run at best for now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Until a medium level nation (Poland, Colombia etc.) wins one i think a relative minnow like Australia or Iceland can't even think about considering this. We should aim for a 2nd round / QF run at best for now.

That's fine, but 20 years is a further 5 WCs. I don't think it's an unreasonable aim.

That's fine, but 20 years is a further 5 WCs. I don't think it's an unreasonable aim.
A lot hinges on the next 2-3 WC periods. We need to at least move into that mid-range status in the game in that period before taking the final step. Far too long a period to predict or have aims for imo. Our aim should be a QF appearance by 2030. From there then reassess the next 2-3 tournaments

History is there to be broken. Does not mean it will not happen.
Agree but it is unlikely. Also there's a lot more countries better places to break history imo (Croatia, Poland, Serbia, Switzerland, Colombia & even some non qualifying sides like Holland and the USA)

The point is what is he doing that far off his line

Cutting the angles?

Pogba was moving in towards the box going for a shot.

Every goal keeper in the world moves forward to that to cut the angle.

Not one in the world would anticipate being lobbed there, even then it's now been credited an own goal to Behic, was a huge deflection.

Cutting the angles?

Pogba was moving in towards the box going for a shot.

Every goal keeper in the world moves forward to that to cut the angle.

Not one in the world would anticipate being lobbed there, even then it's now been credited an own goal to Behic, was a huge deflection.
upload_2018-6-18_11-49-18.png

Yeah I thought he was further off his line than that very stiff indeed

It looks like Pogba was just trying to dink the ball round Behich (not shooting) from a bouncing ball, so Ryan coming out to deal with that makes sense.

It definitely should've been labelled an OG, but no-one's going in to fight for that.

Turkey in 2002 as well.
South Korea made it though due to incredibly questionable refereeing against Italy. I'm sure you can even admit that.

South Korea made it though due to incredibly questionable refereeing against Italy. I'm sure you can even admit that.

Please don't engage me in this discussion, I don't want pages of back and forth.

Wow, someone's bitter. I really upset you by the look of it.

Not in the slightest, you just need to pick a message and be consistent on it. Either you want to discuss Australia's chances at future World Cups, or you don't. You can't smugly have the last word and then jump right back in.

Your habit of not quoting people you're talking to is also pretty annoying as it comes off as a bit of a beta approach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back