World Cup 2018 FIFA World Cup-Group D Thread (Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
170px-Afa_logo_jerseys.png
200px-Iceland_FA.png
160px-Croatia_football_federation.png
200px-Nigeria_Football_Federation_crest.png

ARGENTINA V ICELAND
Saturday June 16-11pm @ Moscow

CROATIA V NIGERIA
Sunday June 17-2am @ Kaliningrad

ARGENTINA V CROATIA
Friday June 22-4am @ Niznhy Novogorod

NIGERIA V ICELAND
Saturday June 23-1am @ Volgograd

ICELAND V CROATIA
Wednesday June 27-4am @ Rostov-On-Don

ARGENTINA V NIGERIA
Wednesday June 27-4am @ St Petersburg

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Really looking forward to this group. So many unknown qualities. Love the fact Argies v Iceland is the game after our opener too.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
Come on Leicest... err... Nigeria!

N'didi (please recover in time, Nacho, and Musa (he does alright on the big stage), come on and nab 2nd, and get one over your WC rivals in the Argies! (5 times out of 6 have the Nigerians been in the same group as the Argentines).

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles

N'didi (please recover in time, Nacho, and Musa (he does alright on the big stage), come on and nab 2nd, and get one over your WC rivals in the Argies! (5 times out of 6 have the Nigerians been in the same group as the Argentines).
Hoping to see Vardy and Schmeichel do well. Although seeing Nacho tear it up would be good as well. Not fussed on Musa, he’s really already out the door haha.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
Hoping to see Vardy and Schmeichel do well. Although seeing Nacho tear it up would be good as well. Not fussed on Musa, he’s really already out the door haha.
Don't forget Maguire! He's nailed to be the starter.

To think, we have more representatives in the World Cup squad than Arsenal! Amazing. (Benny counts for Tunisia, but even without him and Ricardo, we're still ahead.)

Argentina, on paper, have the most talent but we saw in qualifiers that they're not particularly gelling well atm. I have them topping it but I wouldn't be surprised if they completely crashed and burned. This should be a cracking group, any 4 of these aren't too far apart and have cases of progressing. Even Iceland topped their qualifying group ahead of Croatia. Gonna go for Nigeria to join the Argies but this could go anywhere.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong

and lost every one of them lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
If you're not a fan of the way Croatia go about playing football then you're dead inside.
you have Croatian background by the sounds of it.

They were a joy to watch last euro and should have beaten Portugal. The Portuguese scored 30 seconds after Croatia hit the post near the end of extra time. A chubby Croatian bloke just missed before the whistle which would have forced penalties. You think if they beat the Porkos they would have made the final then facing Poland and Wales.

Blew a golden opportunity.

Goalkeepers: Subasic, Kalinic, Livakovic

Defenders: Corluka, Vida, Strinic, Lovren, Vrsaljko, Pivaric, Jedvaj, Mitrovic, Caleta-Car

Midfielders: Modric, Rakitic, Kovacic, Badelj, Brozovic, Bradaric

Forwards: Mandzukic, Perisic, Kalinic, Kramaric, Pjaca, Rebic

vida was the one who missed!

That's a very good squad. Subasic, Mandzukic, Perisic, Brozovic Modric, Rakitic, Kovacic Lovren, Vrsaljko play for some great or decent clubs. Krameric decent too and guys like Corluka and Kalinic have experience.

Dark horse.

Last edited:

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
My little piece on Croatia. They're like their women. Wayward and Allover the place. Sexy, spirited, fiery and a little crazy. They play from the heart.

1998 - Debuting in France for their first ever world cup match { the first cup they could qualify for once they became their own independent nation } they played Jamaica. They reached the quarter finals 2 years prior at the European Championships in England bowing out to eventual champions Germany. Croatia beat Jamaica 3-1, Japan 1-0 { Suker } and lost their last game unluckily to Argentina. They beat Hagi and Romania 1-0 in the 2nd round thanks to another Suker goal setting up a rematch with Germany once again in the QTR Finals { * memories } Croatia caned them 3-0 and made the semi finals. They met host Nation France and Suker scored a minute into the second half. Lilian Thuram equalised the very next minute and scored again in the 70th putting paid to Croatia's hopes of a maiden world cup final. Thuram's goals were the only of his career up until that point. In fact they were the only ever goals that the defender scored for France in his career. Croatia beat Holland 2-1 in the 3rd place game.

2002 - lost to mexico first up. Beat Italy 2-1 in the next game in a highly controversial game and proceeded to lose to Ecuador in the last who lost both their previous games.

2006 - Unlucky losing to world champions Brazil and were desperately unlucky. Missed a penalty in their second drawing with Japan 0-0 and of course drew 2-2 with us in the last in another controversial game.

2014 - Brazil beat them 3-1 in the world cup opener. Croatia scored early and Neymar equalised. A ridiculous penalty put brazil back up 2-1 when the Cro's were getting on top some what. Smashed Cameroon 40 then were belted 3-1 by Mexico in the last knocking them out and 3 consecutive group phase exits.

During these years Croatia failed to qualify for World cup 2010, Euro 2000, Were knocked out of euro 2004 by England after drawing with and should have beaten reigning euro champions France. 2008 they beat Germany at the euro group stage winning all 3 games and went out to Turkey in the QTR Finals after taking the lead in the 119th minute, only to concede in the 120+2 and lose on penalties. 2012 another group phase exit at the euros where they were pitted with Spain, Italy and Ireland { they were robbed against Spain who were the current euro and world champs at that point and would go on and win it again } and in the 2016 euros blew a two goal lead late on in the 2nd match with the czechs after winning against turkey 1-0 in the opener. Spain, the two time reigning euro champs faced lay waiting again in the last fixture in a repeat of 2012. The script was playing out exactly as it did in 2012. Croatia with their B-Team should have had a pen which wasn't awarded. Then the Spaniards got one which shouldn't have been given. Despite this and despite playing a second choice side Croatia came back from a goal down and won 2-1 topping their group. Destroyed Portugal everywhere but the scoreboard and went out 1-0 with a late, late Qauresma tap in.

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I thought maintaining an erection would trouble you more than allegations about Croatian footballers.

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
you have Croatian background by the sounds of it.

They were a joy to watch last euro and should have beaten Portugal. The Portuguese scored 30 seconds after Croatia hit the post near the end of extra time. A chubby Croatian bloke just missed before the whistle which would have forced penalties. You think if they beat the Porkos they would have made the final then facing Poland and Wales.

Blew a golden opportunity.

Goalkeepers: Subasic, Kalinic, Livakovic

Defenders: Corluka, Vida, Strinic, Lovren, Vrsaljko, Pivaric, Jedvaj, Mitrovic, Caleta-Car

Midfielders: Modric, Rakitic, Kovacic, Badelj, Brozovic, Bradaric

Forwards: Mandzukic, Perisic, Kalinic, Kramaric, Pjaca, Rebic

vida was the one who missed!

That's a very good squad. Subasic, Mandzukic, Perisic, Brozovic Modric, Rakitic, Kovacic Lovren, Vrsaljko play for some great or decent clubs. Krameric decent too and guys like Corluka and Kalinic have experience.

Dark horse.

The only thing I have common with Croatia is I've visited the Knights ground in Sunshine and I'm catholic.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Iceland.

I know they aren’t the biggest, but they are such a romantic idea of football.

Will love to see how they go.

Argentina and Croatia to go through.

Nigeria will have a prince or two in their team ready to share their fortune.

The more I think about it, the more I feel Argentina are really vulnerable to a collapse. They barely qualified as it is and their performances haven't exactly improved since. Gonna go out on a limb and pick Nigeria and Croatia to progress at their expense.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
The more I think about it, the more I feel Argentina are really vulnerable to a collapse. They barely qualified as it is and their performances haven't exactly improved since. Gonna go out on a limb and pick Nigeria and Croatia to progress at their expense.
Their last group phase exit was in 2002 where they were drawn with a Scandinavian country as well as Nigeria. Not my pick but you never know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back