World Cup 2018 FIFA World Cup-Group G Thread (Belgium, Panama, Tunisia, England)

Remove this Banner Ad

Be super interesting to see how Belgium goes this time.
Yeah it's very interesting. One tendency many of us have is that we judge teams off past performances and think history will repeat itself. There's a fine line because often it does. On the contrary things do not always pan out the same way as Portugal were one team to shake it's tag of '' chokers ''

Spain were another one that would flop time and time again in major tournaments and then all of a sudden they didn't and were unstoppable for 4 years. These same sentiments can also be tied with England. Are they always going to flop? Are they always going to lose these big games that many people have now been accustomed to. For a fair while England were very hard to beat and often went out in penalty shootouts. They have had some horrible luck along the way and sure in some games just stunk it up. Going back to euro 2012 they topped their group ahead of France who were mediocre it must be said, but still only went out via a penalty shootout against Italy, an eventual finalist.

It's an intriguing match up where the winner will surely get top spot. I'll be going for England in all honesty as at this point in time they're the underdog in that encounter. I would have loved for them to meet earlier in the group. Hazard, he'll be keen to impress against his EPL buddies. With many of them plying their trade in the Premier League bragging rights are at stake.

Should be a beauty!

Yeah it's very interesting. One tendency many of us have is that we judge teams off past performances and think history will repeat itself. There's a fine line because often it does. On the contrary things do not always pan out the same way as Portugal were one team to shake it's tag of '' chokers ''

Spain were another one that would flop time and time again in major tournaments and then all of a sudden they didn't and were unstoppable for 4 years. These same sentiments can also be tied with England. Are they always going to flop? Are they always going to lose these big games that many people have now been accustomed to. For a fair while England were very hard to beat and often went out in penalty shootouts. They have had some horrible luck along the way and sure in some games just stunk it up. Going back to euro 2012 they topped their group ahead of France who were mediocre it must be said, but still only went out via a penalty shootout against Italy, an eventual finalist.

It's an intriguing match up where the winner will surely get top spot. I'll be going for England in all honesty as at this point in time they're the underdog in that encounter. I would have loved for them to meet earlier in the group. Hazard, he'll be keen to impress against his EPL buddies. With many of them plying their trade in the Premier League bragging rights are at stake.

Should be a beauty!
Great player.
Should be primed.
Certainly right age too.

I actually think England will raise eyebrows, zero expectation, a youthful quick squad, a lot of players who have done ok at top level football (the Spurs players vs Madrid, Alexander-Arnold in UCL final etc)

They can play a brand of football suited to tournament football, particularly with the counter attack, Belgium will likely like to boss possession etc.

I actually think England will raise eyebrows, zero expectation, a youthful quick squad, a lot of players who have done ok at top level football (the Spurs players vs Madrid, Alexander-Arnold in UCL final etc)

They can play a brand of football suited to tournament football, particularly with the counter attack, Belgium will likely like to boss possession etc.
To be honest that was many people's views in 2012, 2014 and 2016.

Reaction of Gent player Jose Luis Rodriguez and family to the news of his selection for the WC with Panama. I'd support them if we didn't play against them :D

Awesome! Well done to him and his family. Certainly fulfilled a dream or two.

This was kind of known already but at a book launch, Van Gaal stated again that he was offered the Belgium job before they contacted Martinez. Van Gaal wanted the job but he wanted his assistant to do the first year of qualifiers, so he could stay unemployed and receive the full payment of his Man Utd contract. He was that angry with them. The Belgian FA didn't want that and picked Martinez instead.

I can't help but think that Van Gaal, drunk or not, would've gotten a lot out of this Belgian team. I'm still impressed with what he did with Holland in '14. They had 2 or 3 players who would've gone into our first XI, but they easily outperformed us.

This was kind of known already but at a book launch, Van Gaal stated again that he was offered the Belgium job before they contacted Martinez. Van Gaal wanted the job but he wanted his assistant to do the first year of qualifiers, so he could stay unemployed and receive the full payment of his Man Utd contract. He was that angry with them. The Belgian FA didn't want that and picked Martinez instead.

I can't help but think that Van Gaal, drunk or not, would've gotten a lot out of this Belgian team. I'm still impressed with what he did with Holland in '14. They had 2 or 3 players who would've gone into our first XI, but they easily outperformed us.
I forgot he even existed tbh and that he managed Man U. A lot happens in a relatively short space of time in the football world. Life in general.

This sums us up our amateurism so well.

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Belgium's final World Cup squad appears to have been inadvertently revealed during a television report over team preparations.

Public broadcaster VRT showed footage of mattresses being loaded up by a Belgian bedding company before their departure for Russia with labels indicating the player for which they were designated.

Belgium coach Roberto Martinez has named a provisional squad of 28, which will be whittled down to 23 on Monday after a friendly international against Portugal on Saturday.

However, based on the mattresses, the cut has already been made, given there were only 23 on show.

The indication is that goalkeeper Matz Sels, defenders Christian Kabasele and Jordan Lukaku, midfielder Leander Dendoncker and winger Adnan Januzaj will not be flying to Russia.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/mattress-gaffe-may-have-revealed-belgium-world-cup-squad

Ho ho! Roll up for the Leicester derby! England vs Nigeria. See 5 out of the 22 players on the field represent Leicester. Iwobi and Arsenal who?

If those optimal lineups are chosen, this is going to be insane.

A disappointing Belgium drew 0-0 with Portugal. We didn't create many chances at all and Kompany went out injured. Not good.

Decent display by England in the 2-1 win over Nigeria. Dominated in the first half. Lingard and Alli showed they could play together. Some good work down the wings by Young and Trippier. Kane dropping into the mids as he does with Spurs then being in the danger area when it matters. Sterling was a handful but wasteful in front of goal. Nigeria came back strongly in the 2nd half to give England a good workout.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ho ho! Roll up for the Leicester derby! England vs Nigeria. See 5 out of the 22 players on the field represent Leicester. Iwobi and Arsenal who?

If those optimal lineups are chosen, this is going to be insane.

ROFL. All 5 Leicester players on the bench. Nice.

Nigeria looked better when Musa and Nacho came on... yet neither Vardy or Maguire got on? Ndidi's still got a bit of a niggle, as does Maguire, so I can look past that, but Welbeck over Vardy? Really?

Ah well... at least Benny is officially in the Tunisia squad.

ROFL. All 5 Leicester players on the bench. Nice.

Nigeria looked better when Musa and Nacho came on... yet neither Vardy or Maguire got on? Ndidi's still got a bit of a niggle, as does Maguire, so I can look past that, but Welbeck over Vardy? Really?

Ah well... at least Benny is officially in the Tunisia squad.
Why do you care so much if Leicester players play or not?

Because I want to see Leicester players play and have a role for their team if they are good enough to get in.

Admittedly, my main Leicester hopes are on England, because I do legitimently think both players are not only starters, but offer something England that will help against the bigger teams.

9 Leicester players in World Cup squads... who thought that would happen 4 years ago?

Because I want to see Leicester players play and have a role for their team if they are good enough to get in.

Admittedly, my main Leicester hopes are on England, because I do legitimently think both players are not only starters, but offer something England that will help against the bigger teams.

9 Leicester players in World Cup squads... who thought that would happen 4 years ago?
God.

It's weird. On one hand I want our players to play as they're mostly good enough.
On the other hand if they don't play they are far less likely to get injured.

Maguire maybe. Vardy is behind the only world class player England has and Sterling/Rashford/Lingard would be better on a wing. He should be coming on before Welbeck though.

I reckon if Kane & Sterling can put aside the crazy amount of negative pressure put onto them by their own England can do well. Lingard & Alli seem like the sort who don't mind being not liked and like to prove their doubters wrong, the other two like to feel the love a bit more and could feel the pressure a bit. If all 4 fire they should top the group and make a QF

De1ZwkNW0AAnYHL.jpg:large

Remove this Banner Ad

Back