World Cup 2018 FIFA World Cup-Group H Thread (Colombia, Japan, Poland, Senegal)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
150px-Herb_Polski.svg.png
200px-FSF_Nouveau_Logo.jpg
200px-Federacion_Colombiana_de_Futbol_logo.svg.png
112px-JFA_Japan_national_team_logo_2017.png

COLOMBIA V JAPAN
Tuesday June 19-10pm @ Saransk

POLAND V SENEGAL
Wednesday June 20-1am @ Moscow

JAPAN V SENEGAL
Monday June 25-1am @ Yekaterinburg

POLAND V COLOMBIA
Monday June 25-4am @ Kazan

JAPAN V POLAND
Friday June 29-4am @ Volvograd

COLOMBIA V SENEGAL
Friday June 29-4am @ Samara

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Most interesting group in this WC.

Senegal, Columbia and Poland could all have deep runs into the Knockouts if things go right for them so it'll be interesting to see what happens. All three are carried by their country's superstar so it'll be a case of who's supporting cast steps up for this.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Poland go through ahead of Japan surely? Maybe if this was 2014 and Japan still had prime Honda to carry them but they're shithouse now. On top of that, Poland rigged the FIFA rankings to get a group like this so I don't see them screwing this up.
Japan are big outsiders but I see them as a big smoky. I don't rate Poland that highly and who knows what Senegal will bring.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Japan are big outsiders but I see them as a big smoky. I don't rate Poland that highly and who knows what Senegal will bring.

Poland definitely have a better team (and squad) than Japan and they also know what it's like playing in the weather (seriously this will be huge). I can see Senegal flopping even with the talent they have because their manager isn't exactly tactically useful.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Poland definitely have a better team (and squad) than Japan and they also know what it's like playing in the weather (seriously this will be huge). I can see Senegal flopping even with the talent they have because their manager isn't exactly tactically useful.
The weather is overstated. It's summer over there, it's not like they'll be playing in blizzards.

Most interesting group in this WC.

Senegal, Columbia and Poland could all have deep runs into the Knockouts if things go right for them so it'll be interesting to see what happens. All three are carried by their country's superstar so it'll be a case of who's supporting cast steps up for this.
Pretty much this. I think Poland have the best supporting cast with Piszczek, Milik, Zielinski, Blasczcykowski, Glik and Grosicki (who has an excellent international record) which is why I'm backing them to progress alongside Colombia. The more I think about it, the more I think Japan will struggle. They're well-drilled and disciplined but they really lack spark and a genuine game-breaker like the other 3 have.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Pretty much this. I think Poland have the best supporting cast with Piszczek, Milik, Zielinski, Blasczcykowski, Glik and Grosicki (who has an excellent international record) which is why I'm backing them to progress alongside Colombia. The more I think about it, the more I think Japan will struggle. They're well-drilled and disciplined but they really lack spark and a genuine game-breaker like the other 3 have.
Szczesny too. Krychowiak provided he actually goes.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Poland and Senegal. Which order I don't know. Can see Senegal beating colombia last up and I think they'll beat Japan.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
The weather is overstated. It's summer over there, it's not like they'll be playing in blizzards.

The hottest it's getting in Kazan is 23 degrees (this isn't average either it's what the hottest temperature over there will be in June). The hottest it's getting in Moscow is 22. Average is expected to be mid tens.

The weather will absolutely be a factor for teams who aren't used to the climate.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
The hottest it's getting in Kazan is 23 degrees (this isn't average either it's what the hottest temperature over there will be in June). The hottest it's getting in Moscow is 22. Average is expected to be mid tens.

The weather will absolutely be a factor for teams who aren't used to the climate.
I could be wrong but Japan get's fairly cold, no? It's more likely to impact Colombia and Senegal rather than Japan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What don't you rate about Poland that you rate about Japan?

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH

Lol, been low to mid twenties all week in Moscow so far

Gets to high twenties eventually

Weather won't be an issue

Anyways, reckon this is the most even group

Japan has the experience of being there and doing that

Colombia has the highest end talent but hasn't exactly dominated a tournament yet

Poland obviously has Lewandowski leading them, but also have a very solid bunch of B graders throughout their squad

Then Senegal is the wildcard here, they have some amazing young talent like Mane, Balde Keita and Koulibaly and a few old heads who have been around a while like Niang, Sow and Diouf. Interested to see how they go

JRyan23

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Senegal have a very good squad, along with Mane their attackers include Niang 22 (AC Milan), Diouf 30 (Stoke), Keita 23 (Monaco). Midfield group will include Gueye 28 (Everton), Kouyate 28(West Ham), defenders include Kouliably 24 (Napoli), Sane 27 (Hannover 96). All of these players had great seasons, and in my opinion is better than the Poland squad.

For me Colombia and Senegal progeess

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Senegal have a very good squad, along with Mane their attackers include Niang 22 (AC Milan), Diouf 30 (Stoke), Keita 23 (Monaco). Midfield group will include Gueye 28 (Everton), Kouyate 28(West Ham), defenders include Kouliably 24 (Napoli), Sane 27 (Hannover 96). All of these players had great seasons, and in my opinion is better than the Poland squad.

For me Colombia and Senegal progeess
Holy s**t that's an impressive squad. I didn't know those players are Senegalese.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Different kind of group as looks wide open.

Poland and Colombia for me to go through but the other two could also make it.
Seems even.

Poland have a history of when a good squad progress well. Finished third in 1982 but that’s a long time ago now.

And that was their goal to finish third.

Maybe they get to last 16 and even win that, but you’d think then that’s the limit.

Interesting group.

Every match is crucial.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back