Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
150px-Sweden_national_football_team_badge.svg.png
V
150px-England_national_football_team_crest.svg.png

12am Sunday July 8 @ Cosmos Stadium Samara

Last edited:

What a disrespectful thing to say about a side that has seen off groups involving Holland and Germany in qualifying and the finals. This is the level England are currently at without a playmaker and this game will by no means be easy

Sweden have surprised me this tournament. Thought they wouldn't make it out their group. Thought Switzerland had them covered.

Sweden are a good chance of out-englanding england in this one. Playing 4-4-2 with numbers behind the ball and looking to go long, the good old days of the epl are back. Would be disrespectful for england to even try to beat a side playing the game the way it's meant to be played imo.

Sweden are a good chance of out-englanding england in this one. Playing 4-4-2 with numbers behind the ball and looking to go long, the good old days of the epl are back. Would be disrespectful for england to even try to beat a side playing the game the way it's meant to be played imo.

What is the way the game is meant to be played?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By getting numbers behind the ball and kicking it long whenever possible. None of this jogo banito tripe, have a go lads!

No one plays like this any more since Graham Taylor (RIP) was coach. But England have got 3 tall centre backs if Sweden want to go that route.

the more recent tournament history between these two.

2002 World cup Group stage 1-1
2006 group stage 2-2
2012 Euro Group stage 3-2
2012 friendly Sweden 4-2 { friendlies mean * all }

When England won 3-2 at the euros that ended a long drought against the Swede's. In the 2006 final group game Henrick Larson scored right at the death to salvage a point for the Swede's. They then went out to Germany in the 2nd round.

I fancy England here. Would be their first semi final at the world cup since 1990, and first semi since Euro 96. Sweden have been great and very well organised. England won't get a better opportunity any time soon however.

I hope not. They will win the cricket world cup next year imo and we'll never hear the end of it. especially if they have two cups.
They won't be winning the final even if they get there. After todays performance, I wouldn't be that confident. In any case should they make it, the French will take care of them.

France will win the world cup.

Alli should be in Sterling's role

Out Sterling, in Loftus-Cheek
Vardy is apparently injured I think.
The professor, Mr Wenger is right earlier in the tournament when he said Rashford and Kane are too similar. (Also said Walker is too error prone to be a CB [correct] and Dier should be there for flexibility [wrong]).

Suspect Southgate will play Sterling however.

Will be interesting if England get through this, as I don't think a Henderson/Dier, Lingard and Alli midfield will be enough for the Croatian midfield.
We haven't seen Southgate's plan b yet this tournament.

Surely I am not alone in thinking Wilshere would have been the perfect creative outlet in this England side? It's a side screaming out for a playmaker, and he'd have bene perfect for playing the defence splitting pass.
I said that in the r16 thread that without Winks and Lallana he had to go

Remove this Banner Ad

Back