World Cup 2018 FIFA World Cup Round of 16-COLOMBIA V ENGLAND

Remove this Banner Ad

Dier hit one awful long ball that's about all he did of note. The whole side looked ordinary and rely on Kane to be creator and finisher. Penny for your thoughts when Walker had his customary **** up?
There’s a lot wrong with the side and walker playing in that position is one of them. He does bring pace to that back line though.

The only player I’d give a pass to tonight was Pickford. And had Colombia not been such a bunch of campaigners I’d not have been bothered by losing.

I can’t find any excuse for the performance. It wasn’t hot, our players had been rested and the confidence should have been high. We haven’t got a creative centre midfielder to play the Tika-taka s**t so I don’t understand all this slow crap we are playing. We saw how it could be done in parts of the first two games, we should play quick and semi-direct because we have the players to play that way. Do you agree or am I going mad?

England played well for about 75 minutes, then allowed Colombia to get back in the game. England looked in control and held the ball well.

That was not a red card for Barrios. He hardly touched Henderson and Henderson should have been booked for his theatrics.

England's back 3 look solid, but then Walker losing concentration again and being caught in possession !!!! He needs to learn how to focus for a full game.

All in all. Well done lads.

There’s a lot wrong with the side and walker playing in that position is one of them. He does bring pace to that back line though.

The only player I’d give a pass to tonight was Pickford. And had Colombia not been such a bunch of campaigners I’d not have been bothered by losing.

I can’t find any excuse for the performance. It wasn’t hot, our players had been rested and the confidence should have been high. We haven’t got a creative centre midfielder to play the Tika-taka s**t so I don’t understand all this slow crap we are playing. We saw how it could be done in parts of the first two games, we should play quick and semi-direct because we have the players to play that way. Do you agree or am I going mad?
Alli is probably that player, but he looks rather out of touch and a non-threat at the moment.

What i find missing is the penetrating passing.
Colombia left holes for the likes of Sterling, Lingard, Kane, etc to work into, but the through ball wasn't there.

I think you are a bit harsh, but for the most part, on the money.

Agree 100% there's no creative midfielder in there who can make a decent pass forward. Pains me to say it but with Winks injured that campaigner Wilshere probably should have gone and started. All of the mids and Sterling make runs and pass backwards which then leads to Kane coming deep. Dreadful stuff in an attacking sense but dominates the game well and shuts the opposition out.

But like I said earlier in the tournament this defence just isn't good enough to keep clean sheets. Even when playing wel they just seem to find a way to implode. Tonight it was walker first and then a set piece. I can't see that improving at all so they've got to find a way (other than set pieces) to score 2+

I say other than a set piece but Greece won the euros from corners iirc

England played well for about 75 minutes, then allowed Colombia to get back in the game. England looked in control and held the ball well.

That was not a red card for Barrios. He hardly touched Henderson and Henderson should have been booked for his theatrics.

England's back 3 look solid, but then Walker losing concentration again and being caught in possession !!!! He needs to learn how to focus for a full game.

All in all. Well done lads.
Yeah we did control a lot of the game but that control seems to come at a price - ie creating decent chances! We create our best chances when we go at pace and more direct. As Citizen Erased said if we want to control games and create chances we need to get Dele much more involved

Yeah we did control a lot of the game but that control seems to come at a price - ie creating decent chances! We create our best chances when we go at pace and more direct. As Citizen Erased said if we want to control games and create chances we need to get Dele much more involved

Fair call. We need to find a balance.

I think you are a bit harsh, but for the most part, on the money.
I’m watching a rerun of the whole match on the BBC now and we are pretty much in control in the first half and actually playing with a bit more intent than I thought. Not really creating full on chances though just half ones.

When they watch the game back surely they’ll see what’s wrong, cos I don’t doubt we are better than we were tonight

He goes from playing a good game to a complete utensil up too often. I like his game in general though.

I reckon he's a brilliant player and even though Trippier is a more than capable replacement I was sad to see him go, but I had also lost count of the amount of times - when he played for us - that I completely lost my s**t because his brain would suddenly depart his body and ascend into the stratosphere

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Largely on the game I thought that was a good win for England. I was reading both here and in newspapers in Ol' Blighty at how easy their side of the draw is, which is true to an extent, but Colombia aren't pushovers either

Their first goal was a bit fortunate given the sheer stupidity of it - Sanchez has now made two critically stupid mistakes and has surely had his citizenship cancelled by now

Average defending of the corner for the second, although I'll concede it was mayhem anyway in the lead up. But despite that, you need to win those tough games to have even a thought of progressing, let alone getting to a final

Pickford is some keeper. I thought he was a bit overhyped at Sunderland because I reckon if I had the same defensive sieve in front of me that he had I'd still at least get some saves in, but he's proved me wrong in the last year. That last save was golden

Call me biased but I think Kane has just become the best striker in the world - INB4 he's scored from penalties - the work rate he has has always been celebrated by fellow Spurs fans, and he's really showing just how integral he is on the international stage through the same ethic

Watched the mini match. Spoiled a little because it was halfway through the video at the end of normal time haha. But great win.

Henderson doing keepy-uppies then kicking it into Ospina's chest instead is much more entertaining

Yeah you could tell he was bricking it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back