World Cup 2018 FIFA World Cup Round of 16-URUGUAY v PORTUGAL

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done Uruguay, first goal they've conceded this year apparently, Cavani is beast

Just thinking what teams can breach that defence though (in particular Godin)

Spain through midfield power/pressure + Costa's brute strength upfront
Croatia through midfield power/pressure
Brazil? Neymar/Jesus/Firmino
Belgium? Lukaku/Mertens/Hazard
France? Griezmann/Mbappe/Giroud
England? Kane/Alli
Colombia? Falcao

Interesting times trying to narrow them down

Lol at Ronaldo and Messi exiting on the same day, hopefully no Ballon d'or for either for a change ;)

Such a sinister football nation Uruguay. “Masters of the dark arts” is one way I’ve heard it been put. Can’t stsnd the bastards, why anyone would congratulate them is beyond me

Such a sinister football nation Uruguay. “Masters of the dark arts” is one way I’ve heard it been put. Can’t stsnd the bastards, why anyone would congratulate them is beyond me
Suarez is their only flog that's still around imo

Imo they're a team of hard workers with class and floggery up front, organised superbly from central defence

Can't really hate them from the deeds of one player

I dislike Pepe as a sportsman for example, but I don't go about hating Portugal.

Perhaps football is more tribal for you having grown up in a more tribal environment though, where most of us don't have the tribal factor available to us down under anymore, having only really been a peak NSL thing with many clubs being linked to/founded upon various ethnicities.

Suarez is their only flog that's still around imo

Imo they're a team of hard workers with class and floggery up front, organised superbly from central defence

Can't really hate them from the deeds of one player

I dislike Pepe as a sportsman for example, but I don't go about hating Portugal.

Perhaps football is more tribal for you having grown up in a more tribal environment though, where most of us don't have the tribal factor available to us down under anymore, having only really been a peak NSL thing with many clubs being linked to/founded upon various ethnicities.
I don’t think it’s anything to do with being tribal - but yeah national charecteristics are getting blurred as nations become more and more ethnically mixed plus obviously the best players from most countries now play in the same leagues. Both of those things lead to a more homogenised style of football. However, I notice Uruguay still play very close to the line. Always fouling, diving, trying to wind the opposition up. They remain the masters at it. * them

Was so proud of them. Cavani getting those two goals after the last few frustrating games was extra special. Penarol captain Rodriguez continues to be inspirational for the team. Godin is all you could want from a captain. My heart was fluttering anxiously when Cavani went off, and Portugal looked dangerous enough, but had faith we had the job done.

Sanchez continues to irritate, liable to bundle us out with some stoppage time ineptitude.

That's now multiple matches at this tournament where Nandez has blocked the ball with his head on the ground, very humourous.

The on switch and array of talent at France gives me nerves, but I still believe we have the team to win our 3rd World Cup (and 5th world championship).

Last edited:
What garbage.
A tiny nation of only 3 million people. That’s a million less than Melbourne in the entire country. Only one city in the whole place & Montevideo is the size of Adelaide.
They keep punching above their weight and have done it again.
If you visit the Uruguayan football museum and let them know you are Australian, you are warmly welcomed. They live and breathe football and they are well aware of the battles between our two nations in the past. There are huge posters of games between us and Uruguay in the museum.
But there you are in this tiny country at the arse end of the world and you walk around a museum with World Cup and Copa Sud America winning trophies all over the place... it’s amazing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was so proud of them. Cavani getting those two goals after the last few frustrating games was extra special. Penarol captain Rodriguez continues to be inspirational for the team. Godin is all you could want from a captain. My heart was fluttering anxiously when Cavani went off, and Portugal looked dangerous enough, but had faith we had the job done.

Sanchez continues to irritate, liable to bundle us out with some stoppage time ineptitude.

That's now multiple matches at this tournament where Nandez has blocked the ball with his head on the ground, very humourous.

The on switch and array of talent at France gives me nerves, but I still believe we have the team to win our 3rd World Cup (and 5th world championship).
Sanchez was ******* horrible when he came on. His clearances went all of 5 yards.

I didn't know you were Uruguyan? Must say I loved the way you guys played and good to see you bundle them out. I didn't know much about Uruguay until they played us in 2001. Obviously you creamed us. I was shocked to see how mad Uruguayans are. I didn't really rate you guys until 2010 but I also didn't know much about you. Winning the Copa in 2011 really made me take notice. Then to recover last world cup after losing to Costa Rica and beating England and Italy made me realise that this team can do what the best do. Stand up when it counts. True footballing sides may have their ups and down and even go missing for years, but they always rise and get big results when it matters. Uruguay are all heart and soul. Bleed and bruise for their shirt. I love it.

Uruguay are the Italians of South America. Not always pretty { or fair;) } But will scrap, grind, fight, foul, and at times produce some mesmerising brilliance that leaves fans bewildered.

Cavani = All Class.

What garbage.
A tiny nation of only 3 million people. That’s a million less than Melbourne in the entire country. Only one city in the whole place & Montevideo is the size of Adelaide.
If you visit the Uruguayan football museum and let them know you are Australian, you are warmly welcomed. They live and breathe football and they are well aware of the battles between our two nations in the past. There are huge posters of games between us and Uruguay in the museum.
But there you are in this tiny country at the arse end of the world and you walk around a museum with World Cup and Copa Sud America winning trophies all over the place... it’s amazing.
Good post. Awesome re the museums.

I must say I do agree with him some what. Uruguay do resort to cheating and play acting at times. Look no further than Suarez. He dives, overreacts and has resorted to biting on numerous ocassions.

I love Uruguay and their footballing art. But it's not always fair.

What garbage.

Lets not forget that they have also won the World Cup twice.....Which is 2 more than Oz & double the Poms....And beating Argentina & Brazil in those games.

What garbage.
I don’t doubt the achievements Uruguay has made on the international stage, especially for such a small nation, I just don’t like the way they usually go about it. Still remember the appalling way they kicked (quite literally) Scotland out of the competition in 86. They are probably not as bad now, but it still goes on. I’m sorry but to many you represent the bad side of South American football.

And by the way I’m English not Australian

I didn't know you were Uruguyan? Must say I loved the way you guys played and good to see you bundle them out. I didn't know much about Uruguay until they played us in 2001. Obviously you creamed us. I was shocked to see how mad Uruguayans are. I didn't really rate you guys until 2010 but I also didn't know much about you. Winning the Copa in 2011 really made me take notice. Then to recover last world cup after losing to Costa Rica and beating England and Italy made me realise that this team can do what the best do. Stand up when it counts. True footballing sides may have their ups and down and even go missing for years, but they always rise and get big results when it matters. Uruguay are all heart and soul. Bleed and bruise for their shirt. I love it.
Oh I'm not Uruguayan, not at all. They were just the national team I picked when I started following World Cup football, just fell in love with them for some reason. Obviously cheer on the Aussies generally, including in the 2001/05 qualifiers, but Uruguay have always been my familiar World Cup team of choice, I get more enjoyment out of them than any other team really. No connection, other than a Uruguayan who lived with my family when I was a toddler, and having visited there in recent years (one of the few countries I'm obsessed with).

2010 with Uruguay SF, Paraguay QF and Spain winning with the Arsenal captain was GOAT as far as I was concerned.

Last edited:
Oh I'm not Uruguayan, not at all. They were just the national team I picked when I started following World Cup football, just fell in love with them for some reason. Obviously cheer on the Aussies generally, and in the 2001/05 qualifiers, but Uruguay have always been my regular World Cup team, I get more enjoyment out of them than any other team really. No connection, other than a Uruguayan who lived with my family when I was a toddler, and having visited there in recent years (one of the few countries I'm obsessed with).
Awesome.

What's the country like? I wouldn't mind checking it out next year. The Copa is in Brazil so would love to visit these countries as well as Argentina.

Which world cups have you watched Uruguay in? I loved the old days of Dario Silva, Recoba, Zalayeta and later on Forlan for example. Carini as keeper too. Magallanes another. I'm glad we got them in 05. I really believed in us beating them and going to the world cup in 2006.

* that was a buzz.

Cavani is absolutely world class.

His header was outstanding, and his second goal was an absolute peach. Him and Suarez up top are deadly.

Uruguay vs Spain (assumedly) will be a great game.

That second goal in particular was excellent, yes. But for me I wouldn’t count him as world class (very subjective I know).

Having a very good tournament for Uruguay and he’s in form. But so many big games for PSG in recent years in the champions league, his finishing has been horrible. For me, I’d have him in the ‘excellent’ tier of strikers but not quite world class.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back