Colombia
Senegal
Japan

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Straight off the bat in terms of teams that could surprise, Egypt, Morocco and Peru give me that impression and maybe gut feel. In Morocco's case they have a hard group with Spain and Portugal the top teams and playing on their own continent. I'm not sure about Portugal though. They have the 3 silva's who are all quality and obviously ronaldo although imo his best tournaments were his first two in 2004 and 2006 as a youngster. In my book he hasn't did much since, not more than any other of many players that chipped in.

I'm tipping Egypt to emerge in group A. At this stage would have to tip Spain and Portugal in group B.

Denmark will be hard to topple because of the European factor also but Peru could get out. Cocaine man Guerrero has been a hit man at the Coppa Americas and can find the back of the net.

Englands group looks not to dissimilar to that they had of 1998, funnily enough also in Group G. Back then they were pitted with Romania, Tunisia and Colombia. This time they have Tunisia again, Belgium and Panama. England lost to Romania that boasted the likes of Gheorge Hagi. Belgium remind me of them. I actually like England to top the group for some reason but many of the Belgian's ply their trade in England so Hazard and co would Bebeto eager to * them up, and being England, probably will. Logic maybe suggests a draw and Belgium to win the group on goal difference. Going on first thoughts and tipping England to win it.

Group D sees Argentina drawn yet again with the super eagles. 1994, 2002, 2010, and 2014 they also were drawn with them. Met in the 1996 and 2008 gold medal match at the Olympics too. Iceland surprised many at the euros and could well do it again. However I will put my money on the Croats to gone through but behind Argentina.

Brazil and Serbia I'll tip in Group E.

I will do my predictions group by group and more in depth later but I will go to my semi finals and pick France vs Brazil and France to continue their wood over the Brazilians and play Argentina in the final who breaks their hoodoo over the Germans.

As for who wins it, I feel France, head says France, and they'll be keen to make ammense after blowing last euro. However, something also tells me it's Argentinas time. I can see Messi going out in glory and scoring the winning goal, perhaps in extra time.

Unofficial predictions yet and contradicting points but it's early days. Can't wait for the cup!

Go Aussies!

Last edited:

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Group A
I’d rule out the Saudi’s so two from the other three. You’d fancy the Russians to sneak through as the hosts but it’s not guaranteed.

Group B
Spain & Portugal at a canter

Group C
France to walk it but any one of the other three could join them. I may have Denmark as being slight favourites to finish second

Group D
Top seeds Argentina to win out, but again close between the other three. Not sure how strong the Nigerians are this time round, and who would bet against Iceland after their Euro16 exploits?

Group E
No problems for Brazil, but again it’s hard to predict who’ll join them. Probably slightly edging towards the Swiss

Group F
Of course ze Germans and I reckon Mexico will just about have enough to finish second

Group G
Strong Belgian side to top group and England should join them

Group H
The weakest and perhaps most even group. Could be any combo of teams to go through

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I'll change my tips 100 times but for now I'll go

Egypt
Russia

Spain
Portugal

France
Denmark

Argentina
Croatia

Brazil
Serbia

Germany
Mexico

England
Belgium

Poland
Senegal

2nd round

Egypt vs Portugal - Portugal

Spain vs Russia - Russia { upset on penalties }

France vs Croatia - France extra time

Argentina vs Denmark - Argentina

Brazil vs Mexico - Brazil

Germany vs Serbia - Germany

England vs Senegal - England

Poland vs Belgium - Belgium

QUARTER FINALS

Portugal vs France - France
Russia vs Argentina - Argentina
Brazil vs England - England
Germany vs Belgium - Germany

SEMI FINALS

France vs England - France
Argentina vs Germany - Argentina

3rd place

England vs Germany - England

Final

France vs Argentina - Argentina

HomokHarcos

Senior List
May 1, 2015
Canada
AFL Club
Richmond
Group A: Uruguay, Russia
Group B: Spain, Portugal
Group C: France, Denmark
Group D: Argentina, Croatia
Group E: Brazil, Serbia
Group F: Germany, Sweden
Group G: England, Belgium
Group H: Poland, Senegal

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Just three and a half months away now. I can't believe it. Doesn't seem to be much hype about the World Cup or maybe it's just because I've been following cricket and NBA.

What's the word soccer fans? Someone who follows the game more can fill me in.

How are we going to go? I think we can get out of the group but I don't think we will.

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
One of the smaller European nations will get to the semi finals. A Denmark, Croatia or Poland. I just hope Argentina can do it for Messi and just as another * you to Brazil. Anyone but Brazil for me, even England.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I can see Croatia. But with them there's a big chance they will meet France if things work out. Very tough to beat them.

CFC_JP

Club Legend
Jun 21, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
Group A

Russia
Uruguay
Egypt
Saudi Arabia

Group B

Spain
Portugal

Morocco
Iran

Group C

France
Australia
Peru
Denmark

Group D

Argentina
Croatia
Nigeria
Iceland

Group E

Brazil
Switzerland
Serbia
Costa Rica

Group F

Germany
Sweden

Mexico
South Korea

Group G

England
Belgium

Panama
Tunisia

Group H

Poland
Colombia
Senegal
Japan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
44ec07195b1daff547e6eb4b3f62c5bb.jpg

Decent depth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Genesis67

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yankees, N'Orleans Saints, Arsenal
44ec07195b1daff547e6eb4b3f62c5bb.jpg

Decent depth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually somewhat let down by the strikers. Still an absurdly strong team.

FTR, Gotze doesn't deserve to be wiping Ozil's ass, let alone mentioned as second string to him.

Group A
You can draw a line through Saudi Arabia but this group is pretty open otherwise. Egypt and Uruguay are the two best teams there (Salah can get them through single-handedly) but, of course, Russia being hosts have a chance to get through. Still, Egypt and Uruguay to progress.

Group B
Spain should progress but I wouldn't be shocked if Morocco got through ahead of Portugal. There is some talent there which I'm looking forward to seeing, specifically Benatia, Ziyech, Harit and Hakimi. Boufal is capable too despite his average club form. Like the Saudis in group A, Iran aren't much of a chance here.

Group C
France should finish top but 2nd spot is up for grabs between Denmark and Peru. The Danes rely on Eriksen to pull the strings too much even though they have some other decent players there. If Peru can prevent him from running riot then they can definitely progress. The Socceroos performed above expectations in major tournaments under Ange but, the fact is, there is a significant lack of quality in the team. It's not the toughest group but I still can't see us progressing.

Group D
On paper, this is one of the best groups. All 4 are more than capable of progressing, even Iceland who topped their qualifying group which consisted of Croatia. Argentina have the best squad but aren't gelling atm which opens up the opportunity for the other 3. I'll still pick them to progress with Nigeria joining them.

Group E
Brazil are the standouts here and should have no problems finishing top. Costa Rica aren't being given much of a chance but if they can replicate their last WC then they could very well spring another surprise. Will go for Switzerland to finish 2nd though.

Group F
Similar to our group with a standout team (in this case, Germany) with 2 teams battling out for 2nd (Sweden and Mexico). I don't give South Korea much chance at all, they were very lucky to qualify again and their team just doesn't have the talent. Son can only do so much.

Group G
Belgium and England should realistically have no problems progressing.

Group H
Along with Group D, this is the most open group. You could make a case for all 4 sides making it through. IMO though, James has hit form at the right time again and could have another standout tournament to see Colombia through. Japan are well-drilled and disciplined but just lack a bit of flair and that game-breaker which makes me feel they'll be another Asian team to finish bottom again. Senegal have Mane and the Poles have Lewandowski who we'll finally see at the WC. Colombia and Poland but, as I said, pretty even group.

Last edited:

HomokHarcos

Senior List
May 1, 2015
Canada
AFL Club
Richmond
Group A
You can draw a line through Saudi Arabia but this group is pretty open otherwise. Egypt and Uruguay are the two best teams there (Salah can get them through single-handedly) but, of course, Russia being hosts have a chance to get through. Still, Egypt and Uruguay to progress.

Group B
Spain should progress but I wouldn't be shocked if Morocco got through ahead of Portugal. There is some talent there which I'm looking forward to seeing, specifically Benatia, Ziyech, Harit and Hakimi. Boufal is capable too despite his average club form. Like the Saudis in group A, Iran aren't much of a chance here.

Group C
France should finish top but 2nd spot is up for grabs between Denmark and Peru. The Danes rely on Eriksen to pull the strings too much even though they have some other decent players there. If Peru can prevent him from running riot then they can definitely progress. The Socceroos performed above expectations in major tournaments under Ange but, the fact is, there is a significant lack of quality in the team. It's not the toughest group but I still can't see us progressing.

Group D
On paper, this is one of the best groups. All 4 are more than capable of progressing, even Iceland who topped their qualifying group which consisted of Croatia. Argentina have the best squad but aren't gelling atm which opens up the opportunity for the other 3. I'll still pick them to progress with Nigeria joining them.

Group E
Brazil are the standouts here and should have no problems finishing top. Costa Rica aren't being given much of a chance but if they can replicate their last WC then they could very well spring another surprise. Will go for Switzerland to finish 2nd though.

Group F
Similar to our group with a standout team (in this case, Germany) with 2 teams battling out for 2nd (Sweden and Mexico). I don't give South Korea much chance at all, they were very lucky to qualify again and their team just doesn't have the talent. Son can only do so much.

Group G
Belgium and England should realistically have no problems progressing.

Group H
Along with Group D, this is the most open group. You could make a case for all 4 sides making it through. IMO though, James has hit form at the right time again and could have another standout tournament to see Colombia through. Japan are well-drilled and disciplined but just lack a bit of flair and that game-breaker which makes me feel they'll be another Asian team to finish bottom again. Senegal have Mane and the Poles have Lewandowski who we'll finally see at the WC. Colombia and Poland but, as I said, pretty even group.
It wouldn't be surprising if all AFC teams finished last in their group like in Brazil.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Group F
Wouldn't really say Sweden and Mexico are sure things. Both tend to fail to live up to expectations a little bit. They're the only hope for the AFC to have a side qualify for the R16 / not finish last in their group

Wouldn't really say Sweden and Mexico are sure things. Both tend to fail to live up to expectations a little bit. They're the only hope for the AFC to have a side qualify for the R16 / not finish last in their group
I'm only going by recent national team performances and theirs has been dire. Mexico have no problems getting out of the group stage, they just can't get past the round of 16.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
I'm only going by recent national team performances and theirs has been dire. Mexico have no problems getting out of the group stage, they just can't get past the round of 16.
Yeah Mexico tend to have problems getting results against more fancied sides. Probably has something do with how much they dominate their qualifiers

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
There will be no British referee at the World Cup this summer for the first time since 1938.

Fifa has chosen 36 officials for the tournament in Russia but none from England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Mark Clattenburg was the only Briton on Fifa's long list of officials, collated in summer 2016, from which it would choose the final selection for Russia.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43110905

Oct 6, 2017
All over the place
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool Boston Celtics Victory
There will be no British referee at the World Cup this summer for the first time since 1938.

Fifa has chosen 36 officials for the tournament in Russia but none from England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Mark Clattenburg was the only Briton on Fifa's long list of officials, collated in summer 2016, from which it would choose the final selection for Russia.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43110905
Not surprised. Confirms what we already know wrt to the standard of the refs in the EPL. Hopefully this will be the kick in the arse that PGMOL needs to improve the refereeing standards. Which is ironic really, because PGMOL was formed in 2001 to do exactly that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back