World Cup 2018 FIFA World Cup Thread (Groups, Predictions and General Talk)

Discussion in 'Association Football (Soccer)' started by Macpotata, Jan 31, 2018.

Put it out there
  1. Macpotata

Macpotata Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Group A

Russia
    Uruguay
    Egypt
    Saudi Arabia

Group B

Spain
    Portugal
    Morocco
    Iran

Group C

France
    Australia
    Peru
    Denmark

Group D

Argentina
    Croatia
    Nigeria
    Iceland

Group E

Brazil
    Switzerland
    Serbia
    Costa Rica

Group F

Germany
    Sweden
    Mexico
    South Korea

Group G

England
    Belgium
    Panama
    Tunisia

Group H

Poland
    Colombia
    Senegal
    Japan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Macpotata

Macpotata Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Straight off the bat in terms of teams that could surprise, Egypt, Morocco and Peru give me that impression and maybe gut feel. In Morocco's case they have a hard group with Spain and Portugal the top teams and playing on their own continent. I'm not sure about Portugal though. They have the 3 silva's who are all quality and obviously ronaldo although imo his best tournaments were his first two in 2004 and 2006 as a youngster. In my book he hasn't did much since, not more than any other of many players that chipped in.

I'm tipping Egypt to emerge in group A. At this stage would have to tip Spain and Portugal in group B.

Denmark will be hard to topple because of the European factor also but Peru could get out. Cocaine man Guerrero has been a hit man at the Coppa Americas and can find the back of the net.

Englands group looks not to dissimilar to that they had of 1998, funnily enough also in Group G. Back then they were pitted with Romania, Tunisia and Colombia. This time they have Tunisia again, Belgium and Panama. England lost to Romania that boasted the likes of Gheorge Hagi. Belgium remind me of them. I actually like England to top the group for some reason but many of the Belgian's ply their trade in England so Hazard and co would Bebeto eager to **** them up, and being England, probably will. Logic maybe suggests a draw and Belgium to win the group on goal difference. Going on first thoughts and tipping England to win it.

Group D sees Argentina drawn yet again with the super eagles. 1994, 2002, 2010, and 2014 they also were drawn with them. Met in the 1996 and 2008 gold medal match at the Olympics too. Iceland surprised many at the euros and could well do it again. However I will put my money on the Croats to gone through but behind Argentina.

Brazil and Serbia I'll tip in Group E.

I will do my predictions group by group and more in depth later but I will go to my semi finals and pick France vs Brazil and France to continue their wood over the Brazilians and play Argentina in the final who breaks their hoodoo over the Germans.

As for who wins it, I feel France, head says France, and they'll be keen to make ammense after blowing last euro. However, something also tells me it's Argentinas time. I can see Messi going out in glory and scoring the winning goal, perhaps in extra time.

Unofficial predictions yet and contradicting points but it's early days. Can't wait for the cup!

Go Aussies!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  3. WealstoneRaider

WealstoneRaider Norm Smith Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Group A
    I’d rule out the Saudi’s so two from the other three. You’d fancy the Russians to sneak through as the hosts but it’s not guaranteed.

Group B
    Spain & Portugal at a canter

Group C
    France to walk it but any one of the other three could join them. I may have Denmark as being slight favourites to finish second

Group D
    Top seeds Argentina to win out, but again close between the other three. Not sure how strong the Nigerians are this time round, and who would bet against Iceland after their Euro16 exploits?

Group E
    No problems for Brazil, but again it’s hard to predict who’ll join them. Probably slightly edging towards the Swiss

Group F
    Of course ze Germans and I reckon Mexico will just about have enough to finish second

Group G
    Strong Belgian side to top group and England should join them

Group H
    The weakest and perhaps most even group. Could be any combo of teams to go through

Macpotata likes this.
  4. RossFC

RossFC Spec Moderator

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Liverpool
    I'll sticky this to the top of the board.

Macpotata likes this.
  5. ioppolo

ioppolo Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
    Looking forward to some decent kick off times. I might even take some annual leave.

Macpotata likes this.
  6. David Schwarz

David Schwarz Moderator

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    I hope Iceland knocks out England again, the supermarket jokes last time were priceless

7. Macpotata

Macpotata Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    I'll change my tips 100 times but for now I'll go

Egypt
    Russia

Spain
    Portugal

France
    Denmark

Argentina
    Croatia

Brazil
    Serbia

Germany
    Mexico

England
    Belgium

Poland
    Senegal

2nd round

Egypt vs Portugal - Portugal

Spain vs Russia - Russia { upset on penalties }

France vs Croatia - France extra time

Argentina vs Denmark - Argentina

Brazil vs Mexico - Brazil

Germany vs Serbia - Germany

England vs Senegal - England

Poland vs Belgium - Belgium

QUARTER FINALS

Portugal vs France - France
    Russia vs Argentina - Argentina
    Brazil vs England - England
    Germany vs Belgium - Germany

SEMI FINALS

France vs England - France
    Argentina vs Germany - Argentina

3rd place

England vs Germany - England

Final

France vs Argentina - Argentina

8. nextyearmaybe

nextyearmaybe Team Captain

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Liverpool Boston Celtics Victory
    Actually you'd fancy FIFA would be ensuring Russia get through to the next stage. The officials have been briefed. LOL. And they have done a good job already in giving them a soft group. ;)

9. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Senior List

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Group A: Uruguay, Russia
    Group B: Spain, Portugal
    Group C: France, Denmark
    Group D: Argentina, Croatia
    Group E: Brazil, Serbia
    Group F: Germany, Sweden
    Group G: England, Belgium
    Group H: Poland, Senegal