Official Club Stuff 2018 Financial Results (links, rankings - now in post #2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Tassie probably has enough corporates for 1 AFL team, but there wont be much left over for other sports to play in a national league and local leagues sports sponsorships will also be effected.

my issues were never with the national sponsors, it was always the secondary and tertiary ones, and the corporate revenues

my issues were never with the national sponsors, it was always the secondary and tertiary ones, and the corporate revenues
Absolutely, that's why I talked about the value of top and lower end corporates, which I meant 2nd, 3rd, 4th and the ones who buy boxes and other hospitality and functions packages .

If the jumper sponsors bring in $2-$3 -$4m, the rest need to bring in $8-$12m to break even depending on the other revenue mix.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
2GB Sydney Radio Ross Greenwood Program Podcast- John Stanley filling in. 4.9.19

1. GWS CEO D. Matthews said to John Stanley (A RL fan & expert, & a finance expert) re the 2 expansion Clubs & the additional broadcast dollars earnt by the AFL, from having a 9th game pw

"...the 9th game is valued at about $60,000,000 per year, so they're (AFL) actually making money off the investment...".

I was not aware the 9th game was worth c. $60,000,000 pa for the AFL. I cannot recall ever hearing any specific value, provided by an AFL executive, for the 9th game.
The broadcast $ were c. 2.5 billion over 6 years, or c. $417,000,000 pa. Does the $60,000,000 pa, for the 9th game, include the various other types of private funding GWS/GC etc receive?
Is anyone aware if any AFL executive has ever provided a specific value on what the additional 9th game delivers for the AFL/GWS/GC etc.? Details?

2. D. Matthews also said

"...$27,000,000 comes to us by sponsorships, by coterie group donations, membership, ticket sales, whole heap of things make it up...".

Can anyone provide further details of the breakup of this $27,000,000?

(For GWS, go to 51 minute 25 seconds mark)

I have included both podcasts, but they are IDENTICAL. I'm not sure, however, how long each podcast will remain on their sites, so I have included both.

(Click on podcast titled "GIANTS"- then go to Dave Matthews On Money News)

Last edited:

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'd treat that with a grain of salt, BBT

I'm a big supporter of the expansion but there is no way of knowing how much the extra game added to the tv rights or whether it adding anything at all.

This is the long game but it is still in a giants execs interest to assert it is already paying for itself (in financial terms )

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
I'd treat that with a grain of salt, BBT

I'm a big supporter of the expansion but there is no way of knowing how much the extra game added to the tv rights or whether it adding anything at all.

This is the long game but it is still in a giants execs interest to assert it is already paying for itself (in financial terms )
I agree $60,000,000 pa extra in Broadcast seems very excessive for the creation of a 9th game- particularly when the current deal is worth c. $417,000,000 pa, or $46,330,000 per 9th game?; & ratings for GWS & GC are, relatively, very low.

I am wondering if D. Matthews &/or the AFL are using other criteria (ie not simply broadcast $) to calculate the $60,000,000 extra pa, per game.

Matthews mentioned growth in community AF in Sydney. Are GWS &/or the AFL "monetising" the value of the major increase in GR AF club & school comp. player nos. in Sydney & ACT since 2012?
To go into new, "foreign" AF markets, & create greatly increased AF player nos., AFL memberships, crowd increases, sponsor support etc. can have a monetary value apportioned to it. D. Matthews said, above, the growth of GR AF was"...fast tracked with the addition of a 2nd club".

When K. Hunt & I. Folau joined GC & GWS, it was estimated the initial, additional MSM "free publicity" it generated for the AFL was worth c. $7,500,000+ each- or $15,000,000+ total. Rubbery accounting?

Accounting methodologies can often be very "creative" eg if the AFL didn't create GWS, what would the AFL probably have had to spend to achieve the aforementioned strong growth?

The value apportioned to companies, by accountants in their financial statements for Goodwill & Book Value, is somewhat subjective, & can be queried (but they are governed by Accounting Standards)

On 4.9.19, Phil Gould, said on Ch.9 WWOS panel hosted by J. Bracey, "...GWS will become a juggernaut...". Such fulsome approval is "PR gold" for the AFL, a type of indirect "halo effect". Once, such a statement by a RL stalwart, such as Gould, would have caused apoplexy in the Sydney MSM & on social media- but now, the silence is deafening.
In the above 2GB podcast in post #204, J.Stanley, re the deathriding furore against a "doomed" GWS when its creation was announced, said "I was one of the harshest critics then...but now it is thriving... & growing, with very passionate fans...".

If the AFL is preferring & using such broad financial methodologies ("Game Development Benefits"), does this increase the likelihood that a 3rd AFL club could be formed in Sydney in the next few decades, to create a 10th game pw (with Tasmania added c.2025)?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back