Official Club Stuff 2018 Financial Results (links, rankings - now in post #2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Legend 1111

Rookie
Jun 27, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well today is the last day of February so we should have West Coast Eagles lodging their report with Asic and the Adelaide crows agm is also today I believe.

Typical West Coast waiting till the deadline to submit..

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Well today is the last day of February so we should have West Coast Eagles lodging their report with Asic and the Adelaide crows agm is also today I believe.

Typical West Coast waiting till the deadline to submit..

Miffed by the leak to journos who are not AFL accredited?

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

Is there a missing "other" category? The 5 revenue categories add up to about $80M under the total

Also, Collingwood does not itemise merchandise,which presumably sits in "commercial" or "other"

1551329308936.png

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Is there a missing "other" category? The 5 revenue categories add up to about $80M under the total

Also, Collingwood does not itemise merchandise,which presumably sits in "commercial" or "other"

View attachment 627015
I dont list minor categories on this, except merchandise where available, and richmond doesnt break down several categories at all

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wookie, re your tweet on Parra

I would speculate that total gate and football membership is under their "gate ticket sales" while the "memberships subscription" item relates to the leagues club membership

1551331022762.png

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thats not what im getting at. They had 25,000 members last year apparently. Subscriptions are defintely their pokie venue guys, but no way that 25,000 members only paid 2.7 million including gate.Its just over $100 a member, let alone away fans or neutral attendees.

Well, I reckon that is the best explanation. Where else would it sit otherwise?

Doubt very much they are getting $2.7M in gate receipts excluding the memberships

They got 134K people in total to all their home games last year.....including their 25K members and ANZ stadium members. I reckon the "Commission" line item might reflect the payments they get from ANZ stadium

Using Collingwood as the benchmark, that would equate to a little under half what Collingwood got in terms of revenue per attendee.

1551333657436.png

That seems reasonable to me given Collingwood has a stack of premium members and premium games where they can sell tickets for a mint, whereas Parramata / NRL give away a lot of tickets to try and boost numbers.

Rabman

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Arsenal.
Adelaide AGM Rob Chapman Notes

-Highest rate of membership renewal in the AFL.
-Jumper value one of the highest in Australian Sport.
-$3.8 Million operating profit, after depreciation $1.506 million profit
-Total revenue $56 million, 1.1 million increase from 2017.
-All debt eliminated.

https://www.afc.com.au/news/2019-02-28/club-financial-results

Legend 1111

Rookie
Jun 27, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Miffed by the leak to journos who are not AFL accredited?
More annoyed that despite being such a big club, the eagles have no transparency regarding most things - they never have a press release regarding financials, don't give a damn about deadlines for submitting financials (this year being an example) and are just super secretive about things. I get that they probably want people to buy their report from ASIC but every other club apart from Freo has some sort of press release, must be a WA thing!

Also one would think it would be good publicity since their finances are in tip top shape, so bragging about it would be good- if they were in terrible shape I understand the need to hide info but they definitely aren'!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
More annoyed that despite being such a big club, the eagles have no transparency regarding most things - they never have a press release regarding financials, don't give a damn about deadlines for submitting financials (this year being an example) and are just super secretive about things. I get that they probably want people to buy their report from ASIC but every other club apart from Freo has some sort of press release, must be a WA thing!

Also one would think it would be good publicity since their finances are in tip top shape, so bragging about it would be good- if they were in terrible shape I understand the need to hide info but they definitely aren'!

The WAFC are in the timing up to their neck, & they are about WA footy at every level - why they choose to delay is beyond me. Embarassed by the success of the cash cow ?
How Subi Oval is treated & where the Lathlain development is up to are not the sort of thing that interest the ordinary fan but its only from the financials you can glean where its all up to, given the Eagles are putting $40mil into Lathlain.
https://www.lathlainprecinct.com.au/zone/west-coast-eagles-zone

Last edited:

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would say that there is a little bit of "embarrassment of riches" reason why the Eagles and the WAFC aren't overly noisy about the financial results

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
I would say that there is a little bit of "embarrassment of riches" reason why the Eagles and the WAFC aren't overly noisy about the financial results

There's probably an element of that. Their cheapest adult ticket is $55, so there's definitely an angle to attack them on if any WA journo had the balls.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
There's probably an element of that. Their cheapest adult ticket is $55, so there's definitely an angle to attack them on if any WA journo had the balls.

Keeping in mind the original leak in The West by non footy journos was pulled down, bits deleted & the modded version put up under Duffields name. I read that as some strings being pulled.
As for cost to attend a game, I'd like to see a thorough examination of the general admission seating results for the 2018 season: how many seats, how many seats used, how many allocated for priority (e.g tourism), how many paid for & by whom, any analysis of trends across Eagles & Freo games. Suggest thats within the State Govts ability, not relying on the WAFC or the clubs.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

Legend 1111

Rookie
Jun 27, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I never even thought about it from that angle. That probably explains the secrecy

WAFC Annual Report shows

• the WAFC revenue dove by 15 million in 2018, but so did their venue expenses.
  • WAFC revenue includes $10,947,000 per annum under the WA Gov funding agreement
  • total AFL distributions to the AFL Clubs and WAFC as $26,528,074
  • total AFL distribution direct to the WAFC as $4,056,448
http://www.wafooty.com.au/download/d/oum_Fwv3gDhYlHdCjhhPsU6xsI0XuSi-cpFU6ETVG04
Interesting as that suggests WCE only got $3.3m from the governments for Lathlain Park after $7.02m in 2017 and $1.8m in 2016. The feds and state government gave them $10m each so maybe a s**t load will be shown in 2019 accounts. When is the redevelopment supposed to be finished?

Above I said that looks like the fixed maximum royalty fee of $2.3m that the WA sides had to pay has gone. The related party note 23 confirms that. Reason for the change? No rent from Subi from the two clubs for the WAFC in 2019. Total received from 2 AFL clubs went down from $10.68m to $5.18m

1551487047535.png

1551487200494.png

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back