News 2018 Fixture announced

Remove this Banner Ad

Roo and joey weren't integral to our team last year as they were in the past.
Take the team that beat gws and richmond, add another preseason to a bunch of kids just reaching their prime.
Add paddy, armo, goddard, freeman to the mix, add 2 new top 10 drafted players.
View attachment 433443

Gresham, Billings, Sinclair, Dunstan, Steele are all close to retirement now, i wouldn't expect much more from them.

Think it's a tough draw for us onfield. If we don't make finals, then I think that our chances of luring a key free agent are reduced.

One year of commercially friendly draw isn't going to make up for a decade and a half of being shafted with an awful stadium deal either.

I very much look forward to being proved wrong and the good times rolling from here on and off field.

Geezuz, round 3 onwards is tough - not impossible, but it will be very evident very early if we've stepped up or not.

If we have, and do make finals, we'll be riding a big bonanza because that is a beautiful off-field draw. Huge opportunity to re-emerge from the doldrums

And if we learn to play four quarters. Poor goalkicking wasn't the reason we lost against Melbourne or Port, or others.
While we do need to play improve consistency over four quarters, we were 3.12 at three-quarter time of the port game. when you lose by 2 points or 14 seconds and kick like that, we can blame our goal kicking for loosing.

IN the second Melbourne game, we kicked 7 behinds in the third quarter when we finally had the momentum. While we started pathetically, if we had kicked straight we would have fit the lead and it is a different game.

Same story with West Coast where we kicked 13.19. And our percentage would have been much better, which was so important this season, if we had kicked straighter in games such as Brisbane kicking 14.23, GC kicking 14.19, Freo kicking 12.17 and 18.19.

If we improved our goal kicking in all these games from pathetic to mildly competent - we play finals.

Why do the Drug Cheats get such an easy draw every year . The AFL certainly has forgiven them for the drugs saga and now all it cares about is that the Bombers succeed so they can get the big crowds.

Yeah I reckon we will bomb this year unless we have a huge leap in our kids. Roo and Montagna gone and Armo probably unlikely. If Stuv doesn't get back to last years form I reckon bottom 4.
That's a very pessimistic outlook there gringo.

Any post that has the GOAT Flair in it gets a like

so gring.....ill take the bet we win more than 8
What u want on it???

I will buy you a beer, you just need to drive to Melbourne to collect.

Because after round 4, Joey and One legged Nick were the players keeping us in games. And Armo... WOW, where would we have been without him this year!

A fair amount of leadership lost though. I'm protecting my sanity by predicting the worst.

Hmm bit of a tricky draw for mine, not too fond of how our interstate matchups landed

Teams that are a lot harder to play away (interstate +cats) we have:
Away: Eagles, freo, port, cats, Gold Coast
Home: Crows, Swans, Brisi

Would have really rather seen eagles, port, cats at home. Sydney and crows will be tough asks anyway.

On the upside if we really do improve a lot this year and beat those away teams anyway our percentage will be looking healthy avoiding potential blowouts of crows/swans away.

That's a very pessimistic outlook there gringo.

I've got us winning 9 to 10 games with some of these probably being losses and some surprise wins as well. Geelong, Essendon and the Pies all have draws that will guarantee enough wins to make the eight barring disaster, GWS, Adelaide, Sydney, Richmond, Port all should at least make the eight. Melbourne look ahead of us, Dogs might have woken up from the hangover, Hawks were showing a bit with lots of injuries to key players last year, GC not as bad as some think and Brisbane should be ready to no be a walkover any more. Can really only see the Roos and Blues as easy beats and WCE and Freo probably middle of the ladder teams next year. We will need improvements to make finals.

I'm not writing the season off but we need Stuv to be fit and all our promising kids to make the jump to consistent AFL players. We weren't able to get elite talent in so we need to find some internally or we sit in a holding pattern a year longer or drop away if things go wrong.

Round 1: vs. Brisbane (h), ES, Saturday March 24, 3.35pm WIN
Round 2: vs. North Melbourne (a), ES, Friday March 30, 4.20pm WIN
Round 3: vs. Adelaide (h), ES, Saturday April 7, 7.25pm LOSS
Round 4: vs. Geelong (a), GMHBA, Sunday April 15, 4.40pm LOSS
Round 5: vs. GWS (h), ES, Saturday April 21, 1.45pm LOSS
Round 6: vs. Hawthorn (a), UTAS, Saturday April 28, 7.25pm WIN BUT NO WALK OVER
Round 7: vs. Melbourne (h), ES, Sunday May 6, 3.20pm LOSS BUT NO WALK OVER
Round 8: vs. Fremantle (a), DS, Saturday May 12, 6.10pm WIN BUT NO WALK OVER
Round 9: vs. Collingwood (h), ES, Saturday May 19, 7.25pm WIN BUT NO WALK OVER
Round 10: vs. Richmond (a), MCG, Saturday May 26, 1.45pm LOSS
Round 11: vs. West Coast (a), PS, Saturday June 2, 6.10pm LOSS UMPIRES
Round 12: vs. Sydney (h), ES, Saturday June 9, 7.25pm LOSS
Round 13: vs. Gold Coast (a), MS, Saturday June 16, 4.35pm WIN BUT NOT EASILY
Round 14: vs. BYE
Round 15: vs. Melbourne (a), MCG, Sunday July 1, 1.10pm LOSS
Round 16: vs. Port Adelaide (a), AO, Saturday July 7, 4.05pm LOSS
Round 17: vs. Carlton (h), ES, Friday July 13, 7.50pm BIG WIN
Round 18: vs. Richmond (h), ES, Friday July 20, 7.50pm LOSS
Round 19: vs. GWS (a), SP, Saturday July 28, 4.35pm LOSS
Round 20: vs. Western Bulldogs (h), ES, Saturday August 4, 7.25pm 50/50
Round 21: vs. Essendon (a), ES, Friday August 10, 7.50pm LOSS
Round 22: vs. Hawthorn (h), ES, Saturday August 18, 7.25pm WIN
Round 23: vs. North Melbourne (h), ES WIN

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet again we don’t get to play Port at home , we again only play them once and it’s over there . I thought these things were supposed to balance out over time but how many years since we played Port here not counting practice matches.

While we do need to play improve consistency over four quarters, we were 3.12 at three-quarter time of the port game. when you lose by 2 points or 14 seconds and kick like that, we can blame our goal kicking for loosing.

IN the second Melbourne game, we kicked 7 behinds in the third quarter when we finally had the momentum. While we started pathetically, if we had kicked straight we would have fit the lead and it is a different game.

Same story with West Coast where we kicked 13.19. And our percentage would have been much better, which was so important this season, if we had kicked straighter in games such as Brisbane kicking 14.23, GC kicking 14.19, Freo kicking 12.17 and 18.19.

If we improved our goal kicking in all these games from pathetic to mildly competent - we play finals.

I worked out last year, that if 1 in every four behinds was a goal, we would have ended , 5th i think it was.

Happy to have both Sydney and Adelaide once each at home.

I'd give us a shout in all those games, none look like zero chance. Perhaps the Geelong and Port games look the most difficult, followed by our nemisis Sydney, but the rest are more about us and how we turn up. Lots of eyes on Richo and co and what progress he's made with his boys. Lots of pressure.

It's a good draw IMO. Great commercially, start right and I reckon we'll build a lot of confidence.

I really hope us supporters can do our part and turn up in large numbers to show the comp how big we can be. I say 'hope' rather than 'expect' because this is the part of the equation I am the least confident about. But if we can't pull consistently decent crowds with this draw, we can't blame anyone but ourselves for the AFL's future treatment of our club.

Happy to have both Sydney and Adelaide once each at home.

I'd give us a shout in all those games, none look like zero chance. Perhaps the Geelong and Port games look the most difficult, followed by our nemisis Sydney, but the rest are more about us and how we turn up. Lots of eyes on Richo and co and what progress he's made with his boys. Lots of pressure.

It's a good draw IMO. Great commercially, start right and I reckon we'll build a lot of confidence.

I really hope us supporters can do our part and turn up in large numbers to show the comp how big we can be. I say 'hope' rather than 'expect' because this is the part of the equation I am the least confident about. But if we can't pull consistently decent crowds with this draw, we can't blame anyone but ourselves for the AFL's future treatment of our club.
GWS twice , Demons twice , Hawks twice and Roos twice

Remove this Banner Ad

Back