News 2018 Fixture announced

Remove this Banner Ad

you do understand the financials of crowd numbers dont you ...
losing in Adl to port or losing to port in Melb is same same except the gate takings are very low so its a double blow ... theres a reason we sold our Freo and Port games to Tassie we used to lose money playing them at the dome

That's true but it's the financial desperation of the fringe clubs do that. We left Tassie because we couldn't win a game there, more money and support come from winning finals. If we miss finals by 2 games because we are playing a team who has a sizeable home ground advantage we are selling ourselves into permanent desperation. Melbourne are freaking out now because they have sold two games that may potentially cost them finals. It's hard to blame the AFL if you have sold your arse though.

Playing the at the dome cost us because the AFL had us needing 20,000 plus to not have to pay Etihad stadium to play there. If we lose money playing there and still make finals by getting a home ground advantage it is probably worth a heap more in terms of memberships and support than the short term gains you get by selling off.

Even the Subiaco seconds could beat us if they wear WCE jumpers, we have been crucified by umpiring for years in Perth. Nothing will change there. Essendon seem to have our measure pretty easily these days too. Agree with everything else though.
two huge factors i think we can beat WCE ..
one they have been gutted and are in rebuild so i dont expect them to be any good
and two the Eagles even at their best are shaky away from the familure surrounds of Subi oval.. im tipping that the new Perth Stadium being 10m shorter and almost 10m wider than Subi oval isnt going to suit the slow Eagles, i think the new stadium is better suited to Freo

You think playing them at Etihad this year rather than AO when we only lost by 2 points wouldn't have made a difference?

As a club we have traditionally been much better in Victoria than interstate. Even in our good years ('09 probably the only exception) we struggled to win much outside of Victoria. We have an atrocious record against Port in Adelaide - 3 wins, 11 losses.
that specific game yes in Melb with both team playing exactly the same we prob win .. but that game was one of Ports worst for the season they looked off all game and should have put us away .. i reckon 9 out of 10 regardless where we play Port have our measure especially with their off season top ups

I don't get the fascination with crowd numbers. I really couldnt care if we had 55k members and only 10 people rock up to the game as long as we win.

I don't sit there after we get flogged and be like 'ahh that's alright we got 45k under the roof'.

Simple, We start winning and the crowd ie neutrals and fair weather supporters start showing up. If not keep bloody winning and let me see a damn flag even if im the only support at the G.

Yep, I had my two nieces as Saints supporters and their mum who follows Essendon were happy with that after the drug fiasco, since this year though she's been trying to get them back over to the dark side. The older one is just getting old enough to understand footy is about winning and has started following the Tigers because they won the GF.

If she doesn't change teams again the success just bred success, we haven't had that advantage and rely on people who love family tradition more than success.

We need to start winning to get real sustained success now, no more desperate cash grabs to pay down debt, the clubs are financially hand held any way, we just need to win as many games as we can every year and get finals happening. It's been long enough now, time to strike.

I understand that the fixture is far from perfect, doesn't mean we shouldn't try to make it as even as possible though.
what they should do as a comp and what they will do are very differant... its not about equality its about maximising exposure and profit.. making a "fair" fixture is not that hard but the AFL wont want that as there is more to be made by having the big clubs in big fixtures .. in a fair fixture things like ANZAC day would be rotated but thats not going to happen

We need to start winning to get real sustained success now, no more desperate cash grabs to pay down debt, the clubs are financially hand held any way, we just need to win as many games as we can every year and get finals happening. It's been long enough now, time to strike.
playing Port in Adl isnt a cash grab ... thats the AFL trying to ensure the figures at the end of year show bumper crowds for each game .. the crows in Melb would have a better crowd then Port so for teams like ours that historically dont have great home ground attendances they would try to boost that up by way of the fixture ..

that specific game yes in Melb with both team playing exactly the same we prob win .. but that game was one of Ports worst for the season they looked off all game and should have put us away .. i reckon 9 out of 10 regardless where we play Port have our measure especially with their off season top ups

Yeah, I reckon Port should walk into a top 4 spot next year. They have a pretty nice line up now. Rocky will probably make the biggest difference but Motlop and Watts play to their best and they are going to be a scary proposition. Their only issue is they are probably on the extreme side of tall while the rest of the footy world has moved to a smaller runners game. I guess that only came about as a point of difference though and others followed.

playing Port in Adl isnt a cash grab ... thats the AFL trying to ensure the figures at the end of year show bumper crowds for each game .. the crows in Melb would have a better crowd then Port so for teams like ours that historically dont have great home ground attendances they would try to boost that up by way of the fixture ..

We ask for the fixtures to be a certain way and the financial controllers would think like you and ask for that to be scheduled away for us. I imagine any way. Collingwood cry to the AFL if they have two ames outside Melbourne in any one season, they can do amazing things with a fixture if they want to. I like Finnis but I wish we had a head kicker that demanded instead of accepted.

ok so each year once the fixture is released i like to based on nothing but gut feel map out our winable games for the upcoming season last year i was one win off the total i predicted so this year i though i would post it and see how i go ..

Round 1: vs. Brisbane W
Round 2: vs. North W
Round 3: vs. Adelaide L
Round 4: vs. Geelong L
Round 5: vs. GWS L
Round 6: vs. Hawthorn L (50/50)
Round 7: vs. Melbourne W (50/50)
Round 8: vs. Fremantle L (50/50)
Round 9: vs. Collingwood W
Round 10: vs. Richmond L
Round 11: vs. West Coast W
Round 12: vs. Sydney L
Round 13: vs. Gold Coast W

Round 14: BYE - heading into the bye with a 6-7 record

Round 15: vs. Melbourne L (50/50)
Round 16: vs. Port Adelaide L
Round 17: vs. Carlton W
Round 18: vs. Richmond W (we always pull one out of the bag so this one is my tip)
Round 19: vs. GWS L
Round 20: vs. Western Bulldogs W (50/50)
Round 21: vs. Essendon L (50/50)
Round 22: vs. Hawthorn W (50/50)
Round 23: vs. North Melbourne W

so im thinking a 11-11 season ...

7 - 6 at the break

13 - 9 at the end.

People are over rating Melbourne Hawthorn and Essendon. Will finish the regular season on a roll with 4 wins in a row.

We ask for the fixtures to be a certain way and the financial controllers would think like you and ask for that to be scheduled away for us. I imagine any way. Collingwood cry to the AFL if they have two ames outside Melbourne in any one season, they can do amazing things with a fixture if they want to. I like Finnis but I wish we had a head kicker that demanded instead of accepted.
look i do agree but the issue is you gotta know your limitations our club given its size its financial standing and most importantly external media profile dont carry the same clout of Collingwood.. for Finnis to go all head kicker would be like Geary deciding to bust out of a pack and let fly from 50 at goals .. Gears is good at what he does but to try and dosomethig his skills cant back up just makes us look silly..
its the sad state of things while we have done a great job to not be the minows of the AFL we are still a long way from being the shark...

7 - 6 at the break

13 - 9 at the end.

People are over rating Melbourne Hawthorn and Essendon. Will finish the regular season on a roll with 4 wins in a row.
thats certainly possible perhaps ive been a bit pessimistic in a couple of my 50/50s finish the season with 4 straight we would be balls deep into finals consideration and if not builds momentum for 2019..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you do understand the financials of crowd numbers dont you ...
losing in Adl to port or losing to port in Melb is same same except the gate takings are very low so its a double blow ... theres a reason we sold our Freo and Port games to Tassie we used to lose money playing them at the dome

I do understand financials and it doesnt help when we make s**t decisions ie (seaford) and now have to find the funding to move back to Moorabbin.

Winning games gets you crowds no matter what club you are, take Richmond as an example. Their crowd figures this year compared to last would be much much bigger due to winning and not time slots..

C'mon. Predicting what games we win or lose this far out is more than ridiculous.

Hasn't the last two seasons taught you lot anything?
It's absolutely fraught with danger....who knows what will happen.....so much can go wrong....so much can go right.

As purely a fun exercise it can be interesting...

As in every year.....there will be a mountain of crap happening across the league.....we just don't know what at this point.

i dont get this fasination in playing port in Melb... do we really want a home game where only 25K people show up ?
Freo and Port have near on zero melbourne fans/members so when we play them in Melb we rely almost entirely on our supporters to show up to make a crowd .. historically speaking we dont get our supporters out in for for those games ..
Because we should not be waiting every 5 years to play a team at home.

All these bullshit "special" games undermine the integrity of the draft.
There should not be a special "Anzac " game with the same teams each year or anything like it.

The inevitable conclusion is that each game becomes cut in stone with tradition, and Saints have their annual Port away game.

It should be rotating all the time. Yes there needs to be a compromise, but it doesn't need to be total bullshit.

Can someone download and PDF the 44 page season guide and PDF it on here.

I cannot down load it from the website. it might be becuase of its blocked at work

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-10-31/2018-fixture-booklet

thanks in advance.

Whats this - no picture of Roo on the front cover - ahh s*&^ now I remembry

b481592b-c929-4c13-853f-01fb96d0bdc4.png

Not sure if this will work

https://view.joomag.com/st-kilda-football-club-2018-season-guide-2018-fixture-mag-3/

Edit - nope that doesn't work - someone with more tech skills than me will have to do it. Its a booklet (turn the page thing) so I can't figure out how to pdf it.

look i do agree but the issue is you gotta know your limitations our club given its size its financial standing and most importantly external media profile dont carry the same clout of Collingwood.. for Finnis to go all head kicker would be like Geary deciding to bust out of a pack and let fly from 50 at goals .. Gears is good at what he does but to try and dosomethig his skills cant back up just makes us look silly..
its the sad state of things while we have done a great job to not be the minows of the AFL we are still a long way from being the shark...
Who would ever think Geary is a speccie taker, yet last season he became a regular at it.

This large club financial clout is bullsheet. What is Collingwood going to do, run off and start it’s own comp? It’s the greedy executives strategizing for their bonus that is the problem. If we had hard and fair execs, then the fixture could be equalized overnight. Unless one club is compelled to play another club in a pre-ordained blockbuster twice (and I not talking Derby) then there is no need to be uneven season after season. Trouble is the execs lack the gumption to make that hard decision as they only care about their pay packet.

Who would ever think Geary is a speccie taker, yet last season he became a regular at it.

This large club financial clout is bullsheet. What is Collingwood going to do, run off and start it’s own comp? It’s the greedy executives strategizing for their bonus that is the problem. If we had hard and fair execs, then the fixture could be equalized overnight. Unless one club is compelled to play another club in a pre-ordained blockbuster twice (and I not talking Derby) then there is no need to be uneven season after season. Trouble is the execs lack the gumption to make that hard decision as they only care about their pay packet.

I just wish we'd make more noise, we were shafted for years by our stadium deal and fixture and said nothing then renegotiated for tiny gains. They bought the stadium and said it would help but nothing much seems to have changed. We need some a-hole like Kochie or Fat Eddie that embarrasses them into submission. The AFL executives and a bunch of piss pot privileged w***ers who do * all but drink heavily and pat each other on the back for disguising their corrupt antics.

I the last month they have given Geelong a high pick to cover their arses because they have traded away all their first round picks for the four year period. Then let Broad off with a sham penalty while paying lip service to respect and responsibility. Now they release a fixture designed to give Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon a ridiculous advantage and almost guarantee finals for two of them. They gave Carlton more Friday night games that we got when we were top of the ladder and they are the most unwatchable team in the league. They are s**t and we just take it on the chin.

I do understand financials and it doesnt help when we make s**t decisions ie (seaford) and now have to find the funding to move back to Moorabbin.

Winning games gets you crowds no matter what club you are, take Richmond as an example. Their crowd figures this year compared to last would be much much bigger due to winning and not time slots..
i dont get how a move to seaford somehow impacts or draw ? also winning does influence the crowd numbers for sure but we still need the oppersition fans to come out to sell out a game Port and Freo have none in Melbourne .... so we could have a 19game winning streak again but we still wont fill the dome against these two clubs so in the eyes of the AFL it looks better to fill Adl oval than have a half full ES.. Saints are going to play in South Australia every year regardless so why wouldnt the AFL choose the team they play away from home to be the one that maximises the crowd numbers

Because we should not be waiting every 5 years to play a team at home.
i would rather our home games to be against clubs that draw sales through the door ... i would rather 10 years of Port away for 10 years of hosting collingwood

They are s**t and we just take it on the chin.
The AFL is corrupt there is no doubt about that. Motlop/Ablett farce is proof of that.

But in regards to us, we have the largest debt in the league, biting the hand that feeds us will do us no good. It's unfortunate, but that's the consequence of being so unsuccessful for so long.

I dream of the day we win a flag and everyone realises we're not such a small club afterall. We just need a bit of momentum, and we'll get that boardroom clout to challenge city hall, but for now, copping it on the chin is exactly the right way to play

i think you are missing the point a successful collingwood make oooodles of money the AFL are not bending over because they are scared of Collingwood they give them what they want because what they want genrally makes the AFL more money... for us to even attempt to have the clout Collingwood has we gotta fill stadiums and sell 55K memberships.. then the AFL will see us as a money making club.. as it is now the AFL see us as a money needing club

I just wish we'd make more noise, we were shafted for years by our stadium deal and fixture and said nothing then renegotiated for tiny gains. They bought the stadium and said it would help but nothing much seems to have changed. We need some a-hole like Kochie or Fat Eddie that embarrasses them into submission. The AFL executives and a bunch of piss pot privileged ******s who do **** all but drink heavily and pat each other on the back for disguising their corrupt antics.

I the last month they have given Geelong a high pick to cover their arses because they have traded away all their first round picks for the four year period. Then let Broad off with a sham penalty while paying lip service to respect and responsibility. Now they release a fixture designed to give Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon a ridiculous advantage and almost guarantee finals for two of them. They gave Carlton more Friday night games that we got when we were top of the ladder and they are the most unwatchable team in the league. They are s**t and we just take it on the chin.
welcome to the AFL .... its been like that for generations ... why do you think the big four have so many combined flags ? in the past it was about influencial people distorting the comp now days its about TV rights and endorsment $$ the big 4 clubs in prelim finals in this day and age would be like a license to print their own money ..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back