2018 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

If not Ballarat, what would your suggestion be then to grow the supporter base in a sustainable fashion?

I was never happy with Cairns/Darwin/Canberra home games as it was only going to bring us income whilst we were actually playing there, but Ballarat is an easy drive from our home base and, if looked at as a long term project like Hawthorn in Tasmania, has real potential (IMO). Better to do this than sit on our hands and hope for a few more premierships to get the bandwagoners on board. We're already targeting the Western suburbs, Ballarat is little more than an extension of this.

No club in the land has the ability to turn supporters of other clubs into members of their own, so your options for membership growth are limited to 1. existing club fans who aren't members, 2. undecided kids or 3. undecided adults (eg immigrants, people new to the game). Surely option 2 has the greatest potential there, so why not target it.
Peter Gordon's vision as he explained in a recent podcast is that by taking the leap out to Ballarat so as to create an arc between the Docklands, VU Whitten Oval and Ballarat is to create a club of depth and resilience. His vision places the Whitten Oval and Mars Stadium (and all of the areas surrounding and in between) as centres of Bulldogs excellence in the Western regions of Melbourne and Victoria that targets the youth market to create a massive Western Bulldogs zone. An exclusive zone spanning an area out to 200 kilometres and encompassing a population basin of what will be close to 2 million in 20-30 years time.

Peter Gordon's vision is one of Ballarat being being part of the whole Bulldogs Family and the "REGIONAL" epicentre of an outer region. A region that spans from the Otway Ranges (120 km to the South), Westward beyond Ararat out to 200 km and Northward as far as Bendigo (which lost its VFL team three years ago).

It's a bold plan but it's visionary. If it comes off, the Western Bulldogs will most definitely emerge from being the paupers and beggars of the AFL that they were 20 years ago to being potentially a much bigger force than Collingwood 20 years from now. I think that we'd all like to see that, because I'd love to see Collingwood finally humbled and knocked from their pedestal.

I've read the arguments that the WBFC should concentrate and hinge it's growth and development around Wyndham and the growing Western suburbs of Melbourne only. I am surprised at such "small thinking" that some can only see the way forward is by constraining the club's future and fortunes to Melbourne's tram tracks.

By taking the quantum leap out 100km from Melbourne's outer boundary you pick up Melton (forecast to have 300,000 in 30 years time), Bacchus Marsh (forecast to have 40,000), Ballarat (forecast to have as many as 200,000 by 2040). Now why would the Western Bulldogs want to cede future generations of supporters in that territory to other clubs? Of that potential half million people there is a potential 30,000 future members, and on top of that you will still have Deer Park, Sunshine, Caroline Springs, Rockbank and all of the new suburbs that are currently growing out toward Melton that will all fall under that greater Western bulldogs arc out beyond Ballarat.

The potential is massive and the fortunes to be gained for the club are immense.

For Peter Gordon, who was made President of the club when it was on its knees and almost down for the count in 1989, who has witnessed its fortunes rise, decline and struggle for almost 30 years, Ballarat and the opportunities for growth must seem irresistable. You buggers are not in his position as he was to have been at the precipice of your club's demise. He has been, so give the man his dues!

Last edited:
Oh god does anyone care about this constant dribble

We get it you are from Ballarat and love the idea

Now go away

Another lemming sooking it up :)
So is a lemming:
A/ - Anyone who disagrees with you
B/ - Anyone who disagrees with you and in general agree with anyone else
C/ - Anyone who disagree with you and in general do not agree with the majority who disagree with you
D/ - Anyone who agrees with you sometimes but agree with the majority who disagree with you
E/ - Anyone who agrees with you sometimes but disagree with the majority who disagree with you
Or a combination of any of the above?

So is a lemming:
C/ - Anyone who disagree with you and in general do not agree with the majority who disagree with you
D/ - Anyone who agrees with you sometimes but agree with the majority who disagree with you
E/ - Anyone who agrees with you sometimes but disagree with the majority who disagree with you

Your derailing the thread not me so enjoy that :)

Ps no one agrees with me and I still don’t care :)

So is a lemming:
I gather that you are talking to a recalcitrant who I have blocked. My tip of the day is that you click on his/her profile and select "Ignore". This way any posts, insults and the usual dribble that they come out with are completely blocked from your view. He/she can say what they like about me these days, because I don't read or see any of it.

This person only posts garbage for attention and thrives on insults. My advice, don't feed his/her fragile ego. The best way way to respond to this person is to treat him/her as if he/she doesn't exist. Continue enjoying the forum and posting and don't allow this clown to draw you into arguments and to distract the quality of the threads. That's exactly what he/she is doing. He/she adds no facts, statistics or anything of substance in their posts. Seriously, ignore this person.

Last edited:
I gather that you are talking to a recalcitrant who I have blocked. My tip of the day is that you click on his/her profile and select "Ignore". This way any posts, insults and the usual dribble that they come out with are completely blocked from your view. He/she can say what they like about me these days, because I don't read or see any of it.

This person only posts garbage for attention and thrives on insults. My advice, don't feed his/her fragile ego. The best way way to respond to this person is to treat him/her as if he/she doesn't exist.

Hahahaha you blocked me coz I challenged your utter bullsht

Apparently you have no agenda with ballarat but are single handedly keeping this thread alive. It’s contains over a 1/3 of your entire posts BUT NO AGENDA LOL.

And you called me Donald(actually prett happy with being compared to most powerful man in the world cheers) as a way of insult so again your full of sh!t

Keep pretending you don’t have some ulterior motive for Ballarat just proves you are lying :)

I love these utter morons who insult me first knowing I will respond and then sook when I do.

Last edited:

This person only posts garbage for attention and thrives on insults. My advice, don't feed his/her fragile ego. The best way way to respond to this person is to treat him/her as if he/she doesn't exist. Continue enjoying the forum and posting and don't allow this clown to draw you into arguments and to distract the quality of the threads. That's exactly what he/she is doing. He/she adds no facts, statistics or anything of substance in their posts. Seriously, ignore this person.

Keep posting in the thread, your positivity and local insight is welcome here.

Keep posting in the thread, your positivity and local insight is welcome here.
Thanks mate. I'm not planning to go and I will continue to post and share anything that I think ads insight and information to WB supporters, when relevant to do so. Although a North supporter, I hold a lot of affection for the Western Bulldogs and their supporters because their story and journey in the AFL isn't much much different to ours.

My posts here-in should be more focussed now without the 'white noise' of another distracting me on this and other threads in the background.

Last edited:
Hahahaha you blocked me coz I challenged your utter bullsht

Apparently you have no agenda with ballarat but are single handedly keeping this thread alive. It’s contains over a 1/3 of your entire posts BUT NO AGENDA LOL.

And you called me Donald(actually prett happy with being compared to most powerful man in the world cheers) as a way of insult so again your full of sh!t

Keep pretending you don’t have some ulterior motive for Ballarat just proves you are lying :)

I love these utter morons who insult me first knowing I will respond and then sook when I do.
You do know those whove blocked you cant see your responses right?

BTW Im sick of your shite too, don't bother responding coz I wont see it either

You do know those whove blocked you cant see your responses right?

BTW Im sick of your shite too, don't bother responding coz I wont see it either

Coz they don’t read them like you won’t read this

SIAAD

Oh and never even noticed you or anything you say so no great loss

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peter Gordon's vision as he explained in a recent podcast is that by taking the leap out to Ballarat so as to create an arc between the Docklands, VU Whitten Oval and Ballarat. His vision places the Whitten Oval and Mars Stadium (and all of the areas surrounding and in between) as centres of Bulldogs excellence in regions and targets the youth market to create a massive Western Bulldogs zone. A zone spanning an area out to 200 kilometres and encompassing a population basin of what will be close to 2 million in 20-30 years time.

Peter Gordon's vision is one of Ballarat being being part of the whole Bulldogs Family and the "REGIONAL" epicentre of an outer region. A region that spans from the Otway Ranges to the South, Westward beyond Ararat and Northward as far as Bendigo (which lost its VFL team three years ago).

It's a bold plan but it's visionary. If it comes off, the Western Bulldogs will most definitely emerge from being the paupers and beggars of the AFL that they were 20 years ago to being potentially bigger than Collingwood 20 years from now. I think that we'd all like to see that, because I'd love to see Collingwood finally humbled.

I've read the arguments that the WBFC should concentrate and hinge it's growth and development around Wyndham and the growing Western suburbs of Melbourne only. I am surprised at such "small thinking" that some can only see the way forward by constraining the club's future and tying its fortunes to Melbourne's tram tracks.

By taking the quantum leap out 100km from Melbourne's outer boundary you pick up Melton (forecast to have 300,000 in 30 years time), Bacchus Marsh (forecast to have 40,000), Ballarat (forecast to have as many as 200,000 by 2040). Now why would the Western Bulldogs want to cede future generations of supporters in that territory to other clubs? Of that potential half million people there is a potential 30,000 future members, and on top of that you will still have Deer Park, Sunshine, Caroline Springs, Rockbank and all of the new suburbs that are currently growing out toward Melton that will all fall under that greater Western bulldogs arc.

The potential is massive and the fortunes to be gained for the club are immense.

For Peter Gordon, who was made President of the club when it was on its knees and almost down for the count in 1989, who has witnessed its fortunes rise, decline and struggle for almost 30 years, Ballarat and the opportunities for growth must seem irresistable. You buggers are not in his position to have been at the precipice of your club's demise. He has been, so give the man his dues!
Good post! :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back