Prediction 2018 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm really surprised the AFL are allowing you 13 games at Perth Stadium with Gold Coast homeless for the first half of the year. Are there no ovals in Sunshine Coast or Gosford or Townsville they could use?

I guess they (AFL) don't rate your prospects but if you do a Richmond '17 or us '15 and have a good season out of nowhere they're going to cop a fair bit of heat for giving a Perth team an extra home game. I kinda hope you do, the fixture is a joke year to year anyway. Stuff 'em.
My understanding is that it is an agreement or ruling that prevents AFL being played in Queensland whilst the Commonwealth Games are on. There is no AFL in Queensland for rounds 3 and 4

Don't want the spoon though.
That’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make. I reckon the spooner will still win 6 or 7 games next year. The comp will be even more evener. If we win 6 and finish with 85% I’ld call that a win. Grab Lukosius and storm into finals in 2019.

2018 is a development year. The oldies will play many games in the first 10 rounds as we face 6 of last years top 8. We’ll fail (2-8) and then they’ll be transitioned out of the team (Sandi, MJ, Ballas, Mundy, Spurr). Picks 2&5, Bennell, Alex Pearce and Apeness will get regular games in the second half of season. The back 6 will begin to settle, McCarthy, Cox and Matera will start working together up forward. Walters will be an AA midfielder. Stephen Hill will have yet another frustratingly disappointing year with injuries, whilst Tucker, Langdon and Blakely lay claim to bonafide midfield starters. Taberner will show a bit but still be massively inconsistent, and he and Kersten will yo-yo in and out of the team. Luke Ryan will delay contract talks and then sign with Collingwood. He’ll be replaced by Carter in 2019. Lukosius will play 13 games in 2019 as our Tabs replacement and we’ll scrape into the 8, largely on the strength of our back six and Nat Fyfe leading a new look midfield with LDU and Brayshaw adding some class. 2018 will be a terrible year, but it’ll set us up for sustained success.

If we keep the Port rnd 1 game to within 4 goals, I’ll be willing to readjust my expectations for 2018 :p

That’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make. I reckon the spooner will still win 6 or 7 games next year. The comp will be even more evener. If we win 6 and finish with 85% I’ld call that a win. Grab Lukosius and storm into finals in 2019.

2018 is a development year. The oldies will play many games in the first 10 rounds as we face 6 of last years top 8. We’ll fail (2-8) and then they’ll be transitioned out of the team (Sandi, MJ, Ballas, Mundy, Spurr). Picks 2&5, Bennell, Alex Pearce and Apeness will get regular games in the second half of season. The back 6 will begin to settle, McCarthy, Cox and Matera will start working together up forward. Walters will be an AA midfielder. Stephen Hill will have yet another frustratingly disappointing year with injuries, whilst Tucker, Langdon and Blakely lay claim to bonafide midfield starters. Taberner will show a bit but still be massively inconsistent, and he and Kersten will yo-yo in and out of the team. Luke Ryan will delay contract talks and then sign with Collingwood. He’ll be replaced by Carter in 2019. Lukosius will play 13 games in 2019 as our Tabs replacement and we’ll scrape into the 8, largely on the strength of our back six and Nat Fyfe leading a new look midfield with LDU and Brayshaw adding some class. 2018 will be a terrible year, but it’ll set us up for sustained success.

If we keep the Port rnd 1 game to within 4 goals, I’ll be willing to readjust my expectations for 2018 :p

Pessimists are often right and never happy.

Pessimists are often right and never happy.
If making finals in 2019 makes me a pessimist - that’s a tag I’ll happily wear :p

6 or more wins, and a percentage of greater than 85% will make me happy.

Luke Ryan extending a contract (with Freo) will make me happy.

Transitioning the old guys out of the team will make me happy.

Bennell, AP and Ape playing regular footy will make me happy.

A settled back six will make me happy.

Not getting pumped by Port in round one will make me happy.

Plenty to be excited/happy about.

Nah. Lukosius will be worth it!
I don't want the spoon
As I said, only way I would accept Freo getting bottom 4 is we get 7 wins minimum.

I don't want us to go through what we went through in 2016: 0-10 after 10 rounds, crippled with injury all season and ended up getting 4 wins and 16th spot.

Considering our forward line, I wouldn't surprised if we finish 16th with 7 wins and a % of 70.

I don't want the spoon
As I said, only way I would accept Freo getting bottom 4 is we get 7 wins minimum.

I don't want us to go through what we went through in 2016: 0-10 after 10 rounds, crippled with injury all season and ended up getting 4 wins and 16th spot.

Considering our forward line, I wouldn't surprised if we finish 16th with 7 wins and a % of 70.

I would be shocked if we finished 16th. The more games we have these youngsters playing together the better we will be . Game on game.

I would be shocked if we finished 16th. The more games we have these youngsters playing together the better we will be . Game on game.
I wouldn’t be shocked. But in saying that, I wouldn’t be shocked if we scrape into the eight.

Suns, Roos and Blues I think we have covered (although they have much better fixtures). Brissy have a young team and finished the year much stronger than we did. The wins we had last year were through hard work and some luck. It’s not inconceivable that we are bottom 3 this year. Every team has upside and natural progression of the youff. We had the second worst % in the comp (0.1% more than brissy). The funny thing is, the Club thought we were realistic finals chance before the year started. And we’ll enter this year thinking the same. Who knows what will happen?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn’t be shocked. But in saying that, I wouldn’t be shocked if we scrape into the eight.

Suns, Roos and Blues I think we have covered (although they have much better fixtures). Brissy have a young team and finished the year much stronger than we did. The wins we had last year were through hard work and some luck. It’s not inconceivable that we are bottom 3 this year. Every team has upside and natural progression of the youff. We had the second worst % in the comp (0.1% more than brissy). The funny thing is, the Club thought we were realistic finals chance before the year started. And we’ll enter this year thinking the same. Who knows what will happen?
We are definitely in the hunt for the bottom part of the 8 IF we stay REALLY not injured. If we lose any tangible amount of players we are no chance. We simply have no depth (and I'd even argue we carry 1-4 players each game at full strength between olders guys and the youngsters) and 1/4 of our list for next year isn't even on our list yet.

None of the following can miss more than a game or two:
Fyfe
Neale
Sandi
Bennell
Walters
Hamling
Wilson
Ryan
Blakely

Unfortunately we never seem to be that luck so I predict a bottom 6 finish purely based on a lack of depth and our inability to keep all of our guns fit for 90%+ of the season.

We are definitely in the hunt for the bottom part of the 8 IF we stay REALLY not injured. If we lose any tangible amount of players we are no chance. We simply have no depth (and I'd even argue we carry 1-4 players each game at full strength between olders guys and the youngsters) and 1/4 of our list for next year isn't even on our list yet.

None of the following can miss more than a game or two:
Fyfe
Neale
Sandi
Bennell
Walters
Hamling
Wilson
Ryan
Blakely

Unfortunately we never seem to be that luck so I predict a bottom 6 finish purely based on a lack of depth and our inability to keep all of our guns fit for 90%+ of the season.
Nailed it. That and every other team is going to improve too, except maybe the Roos and Suns (unless Dew is as good as the media say). We have massive scope for improvement but will hopefully be playing one of the youngest teams each week. “Winning” a spoon with the youngest B22 each week wouldn’t be a shock to me. Seems like people want us to play the youngest B22 every week AND make finals. If pick 2&5 play most weeks, we’ll definitely have close to the youngest side every week. Another year in bottom 5 will be fine with me so long as the kids are improving (similar to this year).

Nailed it. That and every other team is going to improve too, except maybe the Roos and Suns (unless Dew is as good as the media say). We have massive scope for improvement but will hopefully be playing one of the youngest teams each week. “Winning” a spoon with the youngest B22 each week wouldn’t be a shock to me. Seems like people want us to play the youngest B22 every week AND make finals. If pick 2&5 play most weeks, we’ll definitely have close to the youngest side every week. Another year in bottom 5 will be fine with me so long as the kids are improving (similar to this year).
I worked it out before. If all of our draftees are on average 18.5 years this year, then our squad average is about 23.7 years at the start of the season. So if our good players aren't playing, then our average age is going to be low and with that comes inconsistency (at best).

If we make the 8 we should all chip in and buy the medical department something nice.

I enjoyed freos 2017 season. 8 wins with a young. squad is better than 4 wins with an ageing squad.

we have a brutal 1st 9 rounds. We have a lot of winnable games after round 9, especially the home ones

I enjoyed freos 2017 season. 8 wins with a young. squad is better than 4 wins with an ageing squad.

we have a brutal 1st 9 rounds. We have a lot of winnable games after round 9, especially the home ones
2&5 and 25 (Alex Pearce’s number) should all be coming good by then! Bring on round 10!

I'm expecting finals next year we saw what happened to Melbourne and their culture of tanking, not saying its happening at Freo I would rather finish 9th and be competitive in most games than winning seven so we get a higher draft pick just because its a super draft , that's going backwards we should be moving forward yearly in a rebuild.

I'm expecting finals next year we saw what happened to Melbourne and their culture of tanking, not saying its happening at Freo I would rather finish 9th and be competitive in most games than winning seven so we get a higher draft pick just because its a super draft , that's going backwards we should be moving forward yearly in a rebuild.
Not sure anyone is talking about tanking. But ultimately we’ll transition our oldies out and bring in even more youth. If we finish 9th - you beauty! If we struggle to win a game but the kids develop in a healthy environment - a top draft pick is just a bonus - the prize being the development of the kids next year.

Just because you don't do well doesn't mean you are tanking. Somebody comes last every year and I am sure that most (probably not all) aren't happy with it. Also makes no sense anyway because history shows that pick 1-5 is no guarantee of anything. If pick 1 was N Riewoldt standard every year it might be different.
Not sure anyone is talking about tanking. But ultimately we’ll transition our oldies out and bring in even more youth. If we finish 9th - you beauty! If we struggle to win a game but the kids develop in a healthy environment - a top draft pick is just a bonus - the prize being the development of the kids next year.
This.

I reckon there will be a lot of pressure on Ross this year to have us pushing back into finals contention. Big new stadium to fill and management won't be happy if the place is half empty towards the end of the season.

I was listening to Hagdorn whilst I was spraying the bowl this morning and he mentioned that Brisbane play Hawthorn twice next year due to Luke Hodge playing against his old side.

He then said that Carlton are playing Adelaide twice due to the Bryce Gibbs factor, and that Gold Coast play Geelong twice due to you guessed it.......Gary Ablett.

So let the conspiracy theories continue, however given where each team finished on the ladder, Haggers may be onto something here.

I guess we get Collingwood twice due to the Chris Mayne factor then?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back