Analysis 2018 fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Not including NT games, when was the last time a club was the ‘away’ team four rounds in a row?

This fixture gets worse the more I look at it.
Went through AFLtables, 1989 was the last time the club had 4 away games in a row

I smell us being bolters. What was that year north came out strong then barely made the 8?

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah the second half of our year is ****ed lol but I'd still expect minimum 5 wins v Port, St Kilda, Freo, WB, and GC. Might drop one but should pinch one somewhere else v WC, Adelaide, or GWS at the G

I also hate the fact we get a six-day break coming back from our first NT game. Surely we have to lobby harder for a minimum 7-day break after playing up there?

(PS - f@ck the NT deal).
The first NT game is in Alice, right? 1/2 an hour behind Melbourne, and likely to be 19º and dry. Not exactly tropical.

Was listening to sen1116 they had someone on there talking about the fixture. It's cringe worthy stuff and frankly treating the listeners with no respect. The man justified carlton landing all those friday night games was due to the Anzac day/eve game so things happen to fall carltons way despite the fact there's another 13 teams left to pick from, and the fact that we never know who will rise up the ladder. So in that case why not brisbane? Don't treat us like idiots, we all know someone at carlton will have a sore wrist.

Brainwave - need to talk to someone at the club

Why not talk to Carlton about the BCNA game?

There's a real link there in a big way - Olivia Newton-John is a Carlton supporter. If she's keen, she can be involved on the Carlton side, and we roll out the standard Melbourne campaign. Would be a really positive way to re-launch the Field of Women, and might also turn it into a bit of a spectacle.

This is ****ed. I'm really not keen for 2018 season to roll around. The AFL make the fixture based on gaining $$$ not at all on fairness. But that's the AFL where most of their decisions are done on what gets dollars. It can't be that hard to even things out

This is ******. I'm really not keen for 2018 season to roll around. The AFL make the fixture based on gaining $$$ not at all on fairness. But that's the AFL where most of their decisions are done on what gets dollars. It can't be that hard to even things out

Us not getting a home game against Essendon for almost a decade now tells us everything we need to know about what the AFL considers when it makes the fixture. Unfortunately it's got nothing to do with running a fair and even competition to see who the best team is each year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually want them to go further with the bracketed system with the fixture. Lock in you double-up against a minimum 4 sides out of your 5-side bracket with an emphasis on trying to get to 5 where possible. Allows the league to lock in the derbies permanently but balances the draw as much as possible.

Only the 4 Friday night games for Carlton?

Surely the AFL could have bumped them up to 6. That would have made it 1 Friday night game per win this year.

Unfair.

I'm just baffled that 16th placed team gets 4 Friday night games while 9th placed team gets 1.
The AFL keep telling us the competition is fair, yet they keep producing fixtures that are anything but. Horrible draw for us tbh. You'd think we'd won the flag last year to cop a draw like this. Asking as we have those rediculous NT games, we will keep receiving draws that look ordinary though. So we are partly to blame. Plus we still haven't made finals in over a decade, so there's that as well. Can see us missing again next year based on this draw.

I actually want them to go further with the bracketed system with the fixture. Lock in you double-up against a minimum 4 sides out of your 5-side bracket with an emphasis on trying to get to 5 where possible. Allows the league to lock in the derbies permanently but balances the draw as much as possible.
Yep.

I like the whole conference fixture idea.

3 groups of 6. Play your conference twice. Play every other team once reversing the fixture between home and away on alternate years.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Was listening to sen1116 they had someone on there talking about the fixture. It's cringe worthy stuff and frankly treating the listeners with no respect. The man justified carlton landing all those friday night games was due to the Anzac day/eve game so things happen to fall carltons way despite the fact there's another 13 teams left to pick from, and the fact that we never know who will rise up the ladder. So in that case why not brisbane? Don't treat us like idiots, we all know someone at carlton will have a sore wrist.

Stole my thunder.....so 4 teams play "mid week" and over the course of a 24? week season we can't balance it out, so we give a crap side 4 Friday night games. It pisses me off we suffered for being crap and didn't have a Friday night game for 3 years because they have to be earned.

Weren't we in top 6 for home attendances last year?

I also hate the fact we get a six-day break coming back from our first NT game. Surely we have to lobby harder for a minimum 7-day break after playing up there?

(PS - f@ck the NT deal).

That happens all the time, i remember one year we had a 6 day break back from NT only to have the bye the following week.

I was also thinking why couldn't they schedule our round 1 match against Geelong on friday night. First of all ablett back at Geelong against Melbourne is a bigger game than Adelaide vs Essendon who have 5 and 4 friday matches respectively. Sure Adelaide deserve friday matches but why do Essendon get 4? Essendon season wasn't any better than ours only the fact they made finals. I know fixturing isn't easy but surely this round would have been a good opportunity to at least balance it up a bit. Adelaide gets four, essendon 3 and Melbourne 2. I haven't looked at the Carlton situation too much but 4 fridays and a Thursday opener is ridiculous surely they could've done something.

After answering that away games question, i thought i'd look up some of the interesting things about our fixture, some of the things you couldn't give a s**t about i've bothered to look up

- 1989 Was the last time Melbourne played 4 consecutive away games, this year we play away to Essendon, St Kilda, Gold Coast and Carlton all in a row
- 1996 - The last time Melbourne and Geelong opened the season (and at the MCG too), this game was the season opener and we got done by 127pts
- 2010 Was the last time Melbourne and Geelong clashed twice in the same season. The latter game at Kadinia park will be the first time we've played a night match at that ground (with the exception of that Twighlight game)
- QLD - Everyone knows that 2013 was the last time we went to Gabba, and 2016 was the last time we visited the state. 2013 is also the only the time we've visited the state twice in the same season. And this is the first time we Traveled to the Gabba twice in one season. It'll be the first time we've played the suns at that venue since 2011 Round 4 which was our first encounter with the Suns
- We closed the season the Against the Giants in 2015 at Etihad and the last time it was the MCG was 2014, to this date that is their only win at the MCG
- Round 22 we meet the Eagles at the new Perth stadium
- Last time we played Gold Coast Twice in the same season was 2013
- Last time we played the Bulldogs twice in the same season was 2015
- 1997 Is the only time us and Port Adelaide have clashed under Friday night lights, that clash was our first ever encounter with them and after a dismal performance it would be last time Neil Balme would coach us

The AFL keep telling us the competition is fair, yet they keep producing fixtures that are anything but. Horrible draw for us tbh. You'd think we'd won the flag last year to cop a draw like this. Asking as we have those rediculous NT games, we will keep receiving draws that look ordinary though. So we are partly to blame. Plus we still haven't made finals in over a decade, so there's that as well. Can see us missing again next year based on this draw.

Luckily NT deal is in its last year in 2018, they might renew it though.
If we make finals then we've truly deserved it with this kind of fixture. It's going to be a great test so maybe it's a good thing

Have a ******* sad i dont give a * about how many thursday friday saturday sunday monday tuesday games we play as long as we show up play 4 quarters and young guys develope. Weve still got our 2 stand alone games which is better than most. ******* wahhhhh is all ive heard out of this place lately. Wahhh 2 firsts for lever n a second back for a proven player who we needed. ******* wahhh a s**t 9 yr player got booted out for having no work ethic in a professional sport for pick 31. ******* wahhh our run home is hard guess what bitches we have to beat the better teams to win the flag. ******* wahhhh only 1 friday night game. Yeah cause we * ourselves by still playing in the NT n lucky enough to have 2 stand alone games with all eyes on us so impossible to have a friday night game 10 weeks of the year or you mob be complaining oh how dare they play us friday night after being in NT. Our double ups are good and if we are good enough for long enough the hard finish will be to our advantage if we arent then we arent good enough for finals anyway so end result who gives a * about the fixture * what other teams got. In couple years we'll probably be under thursday/friday night lights 3 weeks in a row with anzac eve game falling on thursday n friday.

Have a ******* sad i dont give a **** about how many thursday friday saturday sunday monday tuesday games we play as long as we show up play 4 quarters and young guys develope. Weve still got our 2 stand alone games which is better than most. ******* wahhhhh is all ive heard out of this place lately. Wahhh 2 firsts for lever n a second back for a proven player who we needed. ******* wahhh a s**t 9 yr player got booted out for having no work ethic in a professional sport for pick 31. ******* wahhh our run home is hard guess what bitches we have to beat the better teams to win the flag. ******* wahhhh only 1 friday night game. Yeah cause we **** ourselves by still playing in the NT n lucky enough to have 2 stand alone games with all eyes on us so impossible to have a friday night game 10 weeks of the year or you mob be complaining oh how dare they play us friday night after being in NT. Our double ups are good and if we are good enough for long enough the hard finish will be to our advantage if we arent then we arent good enough for finals anyway so end result who gives a **** about the fixture **** what other teams got. In couple years we'll probably be under thursday/friday night lights 3 weeks in a row with anzac eve game falling on thursday n friday.
Melt of the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back