2018 Formula One Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Leclerc is a great young driver just hope the pressure doesn't get to him.

Gonna be driving for one of (probably the) most prestigious teams in f1 history.
That's a huge ask.

Kimi to Sauber is a great move for Sauber though.

Apr 29, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA RAMS
Watched Leclerc in F2 last year and he is an outstanding driver. I think he'll challenge Seb straight away.

On the way into work this morning I'm listening to the 'Professor' on the latest beyond the grid Podcast with Tom Clarkson ... is a great listen if you guys haven't come across it.

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
Ben Edwards is not offensive. Otherwise I rarely hear any decent F1 commentary. I might need Klyntonius to help me out here, but the MotoGP commentary is generally better. What I like is that they laud riders and performances. But they don't embellish one over another. nor do they diminish riders like these F1 idiots do.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
Ben Edwards is not offensive. Otherwise I rarely hear any decent F1 commentary. I might need Klyntonius to help me out here, but the MotoGP commentary is generally better. What I like is that they laud riders and performances. But they don't embellish one over another. nor do they diminish riders like these F1 idiots do.

This is why I always liked Nick Harris. People didn't like him in recent years because he started to muddle a few riders names and miss a few details but he was always a fan and looked to the positive of each rider. The new guys, Matthew Birt and Steve Day are very much following in his footsteps (and Simon Crafar is becoming a revelation as pit lane reporter). There's enough tabloid journalists to muck rake.

In terms of the F1 commentators, I don't find them too bad but then my F1 knowledge is pretty limited and I've always managed to watch the straight forward races and miss the controversial ones.

DamoESP

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Stars
So Mick Schumacher took out the F3 title on the weekend. Might not be long until we have another Schumacher racing in F1

https://www.bbc.com/sport/motorsport/45851176

Mick Schumacher, the son of seven-time Formula 1 world champion Michael, won the Formula 3 European title with a race to spare.
The 19-year-old finished second in race two of the season finale in Hockenheim, Germany, to establish an unassailable lead in the drivers' standings.
In Sunday's race three, Prema driver Schumacher finished second again for his 14th podium of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 11, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not a fan ?

I do find it a bit worrying that the sport is turning into something of a monarchy where sons of former drivers are continuing to occupy the grid. It was fine when Damon Hill or Jacques Villenueve did it as their background wasn't straightforward with the hurdles they had to overcome growing up. But these days its just spoilt rich kids with a famous name who have it as tough as having a family fortune to fall back on if they fail. Hardly Nigel Mansell or Dick Johnson mortgaging their house.

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
I do find it a bit worrying that the sport is turning into something of a monarchy where sons of former drivers are continuing to occupy the grid. It was fine when Damon Hill or Jacques Villenueve did it as their background wasn't straightforward with the hurdles they had to overcome growing up. But these days its just spoilt rich kids with a famous name who have it as tough as having a family fortune to fall back on if they fail. Hardly Nigel Mansell or Dick Johnson mortgaging their house.
If they have good records I don't mind it. Its the same with Father/Sons in the AFL, they are always given slightly more of an opportunity because of their name (e.g Silvagni at Carlton).
I do think that the competition for F1 seats should be a bit higher though, and politics be kept to a minimum. There is absolutely no way that Lance Stroll has earned his drive at Force India next year over Ocon.

If Mick Schumacher makes it then he deserves it, by winning a feeder series that is a common stepping stone to F1. It is drivers like Max Verstappen gaining a super licence despite winning jack s**t that are more worthy of accusations of nepotism (even if he has notched up a couple of wins since then).

Feb 11, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
If Mick Schumacher makes it then he deserves it, by winning a feeder series that is a common stepping stone to F1.

Feeder series wins can be deceptive as someone like Nelson Piquet Jr proved. He won championships but only because his family owned the team and gave him the best support. When he debuted in F1 he was found out.

Feeder series wins can be deceptive as someone like Nelson Piquet Jr proved. He won championships but only because his family owned the team and gave him the best support. When he debuted in F1 he was found out.

True, but it's better than finishing 3rd in your only season in F3 Europe before F1, like Verstappen, with barely any formula experience before then.

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
You're just pissed we've never had a father son selection.

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
The more I've looked into it elsewhere. The more suspicious I am of how legit Mick's win is? It's been a while since I've followed the lower levels in European motorsport. Occasionally you do see a "transformation" in a young driver's performance. But that usually correlated with a change of teams and/or change of class they're more suited to. Not while in the same team and series. If this is the case, even accounting for the fact Michael is his dad, Prema powerteam have unlocked the key for any driver to improve at the level they couldn't do beforehand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back