DamoESP

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Stars
Great article from RIC here. Discusses where the Honey Badger came from, his first win, winning at Monaco this year and the decision to leave RBR. Well worth the read.

A few words from me. Go a couple layers deep here

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/daniel-ricciardo-formula-1-red-bull

Love this quote after winning at Monaco

I walked to the fridge, grabbed a beer, and laid down in bed. It was possibly the best beer of my life. Helps it was one from my brewery too, lol. Monaco F1 winner, Daniel Ricciardo. Now that’s what it’s all about.

Feb 11, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I remember now. I didn't see any "reasoning" in Roland's reasoning. Hence, I didn't bother to respond to all of that and let it go. I got sucked into it again!. I defy anyone else who even vaguely remembers the 08 season to back him up.

I backed up with facts so there's nothing wrong with the 'reasoning'. You can go on nostalgia if you want but I like my history from the perspective of accuracy.

Last edited:

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Honestly, I think its an absurd decision to hire a driver who hasn't raced in 8 years and was never proven to be that great at his peak. Luca Badeor in 2009 made more sense. But its pretty consistent with Williams' decision making in recent times.
Gee that's some dribble.

Feb 11, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Please tell me where I went wrong? Should I spend 3 hours dismantling roland’s “points”, or am I better off going “I just cbf”.

Well, I wasn't going to present information to suit your pov lol. The whole forum is presentation of facts (or other) to suit the poster's pov so your statement could have been talking about anyone on any topic.

From my pov I don't care if you attempt to dismantle my points or not. If its easier to leave it alone so be it. I've been around message boards, F1 or otherwise, to know how it goes.

davis_756

Cancelled
May 24, 2008
unknown
AFL Club
Carlton
Just the way you worded it I suggest, by saying they’re just facts to suit his POV is saying there are reasons that can be proved as to why Kubica is not that great.
Which is opposite to your opinion.
I think it was pretty obvious to all and sundry that he was suggesting if one looks hard enough you can find a number of statistical anomalies to suit any predetermined agenda.

It is a common occurrence on this board after all, player X averages 2.1 more yadayada.... therefore they are better!

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I think it was pretty obvious to all and sundry that he was suggesting if one looks hard enough you can find a number of statistical anomalies to suit any predetermined agenda.

It is a common occurrence on this board after all, player X averages 2.1 more yadayada.... therefore they are better!
Don’t dissagree, just suggesting why drs May have disliked the phrase.

DamoESP

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Hahahaha this is great, looks like some of the guys are keen to get a bit of "free practice" in over the off season ;)

Ask an F1 driver about their winter plans at your peril

DamoESP

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Interesting graphic I saw posted on the F1 subreddit

JFTf3qX.png

Here is the thread if you want to know more info/data behind it.
HTML:
https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/a15e19/now_that_the_season_has_ended_heres_the_2018/

Sabbathen

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
It's kind of weird, it's all relative. These days Ricciardo's reliability would be considered chronic. but back in the early 90s it would've been considered normal. I counted for the first 16 races (16 races being a full F1 season 1991-94), he had 6 dnf with 4 of those being mechanical. I counted under the points allocation they used in 1991-94, Ricciardo would've scored 38 points.

38pts would've got 5th in 91, 6th in 92, 5th in 93, and 4th in 94. So he's round about where he should be all things considered. In those days, the current RB would've been considered a tank!

However in these days of bulletproof reliability, there's an ugly truth. Including all types of dnf, Ricciardo has 8. The top 5 combined have 10!

davis_756

Cancelled
May 24, 2008
unknown
AFL Club
Carlton
Just watching through the rule changes for next year

Going to be interesting to see how much slower the cars are going without all these extra little bits they are removing to increase the ability to follow. Changed front wing pretty much to a basic model, changed barge boards, front brake ducts, blown axles and the rear wing.

I get the feeling the gap between the top and the bottom will reduce but engine power will pretty much determine who wins.

Back