NFL 2018 Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

What type of contract do you think you guys will offer Norwell?

Perfect fit for Indy if we can get him... exactly what we need.

Norwell is very very good, its just that we paid Trai Turner handsomely last offseason, not sure it would be very smart to have two guards on max contacts for roster balance. We could always franchise tag him but i think id prefer to let him walk purely because we have greater needs.

Outside of the FT, I'm pretty sure whoever signs him will be paying him as the highest paid guard in the NFL.

It will all depend if we believe that Taylor Moton can replace Norwell and Vernon Butler can replace Star. If we believe they can we will have enough cap room to go after a Robinson or Landry.

Personally I'm hoping we go after Robinson, we cut Stewart and we draft and lead running back (along with a safety) in the first two rounds.
Nailed it. I think we need to cut some dead wood like Stewart TBH

Norwell is very very good, its just that we paid Trai Turner handsomely last offseason, not sure it would be very smart to have two guards on max contacts for roster balance. We could always franchise tag him but i think id prefer to let him walk purely because we have greater needs.

Outside of the FT, I'm pretty sure whoever signs him will be paying him as the highest paid guard in the NFL.
The Packers had Lang and Sitton on big contracts for a couple of years I think. Made our interior line top 3 in the NFL hardly ever gave up pressure or sacks. So it's worth it.

The Packers had Lang and Sitton on big contracts for a couple of years I think. Made our interior line top 3 in the NFL hardly ever gave up pressure or sacks. So it's worth it.

Yea, but then your defense couldnt stop s**t while you were paying your OLine handsomely :p

Easier to get away with things when you have a QB like Rodgers, protecting him makes sense because he can make run of the mill WRs look good.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ins-drew-brees-headline-a-top-heavy-qb-class/

Interesting article looking at potential landing spots for various high profile free agent QBs.

• Kirk Cousins to the Jets on a five year, $140 million contract
  • Jimmy Garoppolo franchise-tagged by the 49ers and signs a five year, $125 million before July deadline
  • Drew Brees back to the Saints on a two year, $50 million contract
  • Case Keenum transition tagged by the Vikings; Sam Bradford to the Cardinals for two years, $24 million; Teddy Bridgewater to the Bills for two years, $15 million

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ins-drew-brees-headline-a-top-heavy-qb-class/

Interesting article looking at potential landing spots for various high profile free agent QBs.

• Kirk Cousins to the Jets on a five year, $140 million contract
  • Jimmy Garoppolo franchise-tagged by the 49ers and signs a five year, $125 million before July deadline
  • Drew Brees back to the Saints on a two year, $50 million contract
  • Case Keenum transition tagged by the Vikings; Sam Bradford to the Cardinals for two years, $24 million; Teddy Bridgewater to the Bills for two years, $15 million
If the Vikings tag Keenum then I also expect them to re-sign Bridgewater. It wouldn't be too hard to imagine a two year contract that paid $5 million in the first year and then a shed load in the 2nd/3rd years (2 years $25 million or 3 years $45 million) where the 2nd year is contingent on a clean bill of health.

If you have a look at the Mike Glennon contract (3 years, $45 million, $3 million signing bonus, $18.5 million guaranteed) then you can start to see what I'm talking about. People scoffed at the Glennon contract, but after year 1 there's only $4.5 million in dead money and therefore you can assume he's going to either be traded or hit the free agent market in 2018, assuming the Bears go with Trubiski this season.

You could do a deal with Bridgewater where there's little money up front, but the promise of big money in the 2nd and subsequent years, and only a small cap hit in year 2 in the event that his injury becomes problematic.

Bloody good time to be a back up.
Its always a good time to be a backup. getting paid a few mill to do nothing.

Its only bad when you have to play and get exposed.

Not sure anyone expects a back up to perform at a high enough level to keep a team relevant, so I'm not entirely sure how they are "exposed" so to speak.

If you can cash in like Foles has, good luck to you.

Have to wonder how he will go next year wherever he is, although hopefully he get some sort of say in how the offense will be run, would be hideous to see end up in another Fisher situation after what he did in the playoffs.

True but the success of Keenum and Foles has upped their value considerably I would have thought.

True but the success of Keenum and Foles has upped their value considerably I would have thought.
Not sure about Foles. he failed in St Louis. Teams will view him as a system QB. you dont run the same system and have the weapons for him and he will fail again.

Whenever a backup QB moves teams most of the time its a new system. They might run some of the same plays but terminology is different.

Its the same issue i have with QB's who have never called plays in college.

Not sure about Foles. he failed in St Louis. Teams will view him as a system QB. you dont run the same system and have the weapons for him and he will fail again.

Whenever a backup QB moves teams most of the time its a new system. They might run some of the same plays but terminology is different.

Its the same issue i have with QB's who have never called plays in college.

Compare him to Flacco, an outstanding playoff series culminating in an MVP in SB and a lot of ordinariness. At least Foles has had one outstanding regular season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Compare him to Flacco, an outstanding playoff series culminating in an MVP in SB and a lot of ordinariness. At least Foles has had one outstanding regular season.
I think the Eagles had a better team around Foles than that Ravens team did.

I dont think Wentz could of done any better than Foles in the last 2 games.

If as a backup you manage to learn the entire playbook, like coaches expect a QB to do, then you deserve that $15m+ contract.

Not only to be able to memorize it all, literally EVERYONE's assignments in each play with hundreds of plays, but also to be able to then execute those plays in practice at a sufficiently capable degree to earn a backup job.

The whole Foles discussion needs more acknowledgement of his O-line. You give anyone that much time they're going to be good. And of course the coaching staff needs credit too

Great point about the O line, probably the best in the nfl at the moment.

Hats off to the coaches too..in the bye week before the eagles first playoff game they used it to research what has worked well for foles in the past especially in his 27 td 2 int season.

They built their game plan around rpo which allowed foles comfort in reading the defense in the simplest manner. Great coaching

The whole Foles discussion needs more acknowledgement of his O-line. You give anyone that much time they're going to be good. And of course the coaching staff needs credit too

They were great, but I think this sort of stuff is too reductive.

Look at the fourth down conversion in the last quarter. Foles is pressured substantially and has to throw moving backwards. Still nails it.

McCarron won his arbitration case, so will be an UFA instead of RFA

EDIT: Didn't refresh page in 10 minutes and that happens.

So AJ McCarron will now be an unrestricted free agent.
So what do you think the market for McCarron is. I know the Browns tried to trade for him, but given their draft position I'm not convinced the Browns want McCarron as a starter anymore.

Where do you think McCarron fits in the list that includes Kirk Cousins, Teddy Bridgewater, Case Keenum, and Sam Bradford.

Personally I wouldn't think there'd be a lot of teams clambering to sign McCarron, especially when Tyrod Taylor and Ryan Tannehill could also be added to the list of free agents as the off-season progresses.

Ziggy Ansah being 29yos did amaze me, forgot he was way older than most when he was drafted.

Be interesting to see what contract length he will get from someone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back