NFL 2018 Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Imo, something needs to be done in the NFL to reduce the importance of the QB position, thus force their salaries down. So that an average QB isn't still getting a contract with a higher GDP than a 3rd world nation.

People complain when QB quality around the league is down. This year we see emergence of some exciting young QBs and now you want to somehow diminish the importance of the position?

We can strip back some of the rules that make passing much easier these days, make it easier covering WRs, but would actually increase QB importance? Can’t really ease their protection because we’ve seen a spate of QB injuries this season.

Imo, something needs to be done in the NFL to reduce the importance of the QB position, thus force their salaries down. So that an average QB isn't still getting a contract with a higher GDP than a 3rd world nation.

Wouldn't it be a game changer if a team could replicate the environment the Eagles coaches created for a previously struggling QB in Foles to slot into & hey presto, become a mvp. Now while I'm sure Pederson can take most of the credit for Foles's transformation from spud to GOAT(sic), it will be interesting to see what the Vikings do at QB now they have a member of the Eagles SB brains trust on staff.

If the Vikings tag Keenum then I also expect them to re-sign Bridgewater.
You could do a deal with Bridgewater where there's little money up front, but the promise of big money in the 2nd and subsequent years, and only a small cap hit in year 2 in the event that his injury becomes problematic.

Sven from the outside looking in I think the Vikings should be targeting Cousins as your QB , keep one of the other three as a backup (most probably Bridgewater ).

Just my opinion but I think Cousins would be a great pick up for you guys and he would give you a good chance to go even further in the next few seasons.
I believe you have the cap to make it happen.

From Cousins perspective, IMO , he should put success before coin as he considers his next landing spot.

For me The Vikings tick all the boxes.
Sure he may get more coin at the Browns or Jets but other than coin why the hell would he want to go there as both are a fair way away from success.

Cousins has picked up 45 million over the last few years, so money should be a very distant second, to the opportunity for some success.

Keenum made some good plays this season, not sure Cousins is that much of an upgrade.

IMO he is an upgrade.
A much more consistent QB and a better QB.

I think if they want to keep Keenum they will be forced to pay up , as he will get offers elsewhere and I am suspecting his value will be inflated and whilst he did make some good plays this season I just am not sure that wasn't a glitch of a season.

Vikings were a better team than the Skins and I have no doubt that Keenum would not have done as well this season had he played with Washington.
Conversely I think Cousins would have made the Vikings a better team.

The Vikings are so close to being a really good team / genuine contender and a "tweak here and there " will do it for them ......... and a tweak up in quality at QB would be a good place to start.

TGBB just my two cents worth.

I can't remember seeing a worse INT than this for a long long time

Being a rookie is not an excuse for that. Cost them the game.

Clearly you didn’t see some of Mariota’s INT’s this season then. There were times I was convinced he was actually trying to be picked off...

Sven from the outside looking in I think the Vikings should be targeting Cousins as your QB , keep one of the other three as a backup (most probably Bridgewater ).

Just my opinion but I think Cousins would be a great pick up for you guys and he would give you a good chance to go even further in the next few seasons.
I believe you have the cap to make it happen.

From Cousins perspective, IMO , he should put success before coin as he considers his next landing spot.

For me The Vikings tick all the boxes.
Sure he may get more coin at the Browns or Jets but other than coin why the hell would he want to go there as both are a fair way away from success.

Cousins has picked up 45 million over the last few years, so money should be a very distant second, to the opportunity for some success.

I think Cousins has the Vikings at the top of his list of teams to join and he has stated he wants to go to a contender. The only question is whether or not the price is right for both sides.

The Vikings have recently added Todd Downing as "Senior Offensive Assistant" and that now makes three QB or ex QB coaches on the offensive staff (DeFilippo, Downing and Stefanski) and they, with Spielman, clearly have the job of determining who should be the next Vikings QB.

The answer is a complicated one and probably comes down to whether or not they see Bridgewater or Cousins having the highest ceiling. There's risks with both choices (injury risk with Teddy, and a financial risk with Cousins). There's a number of internal offensive and defensive free agents (Anthony Barr, Eric Kendricks, Danielle Hunter, Stefon Diggs) that need to be extended before the end of the 2018 season that could chew up a lot of available cap space.

I very much doubt that Keenum will stay with the Vikings as I don't see the Vikings viewing Keenum as a long term solution. There has been talk of the transition tag (~$20 million) being used but I don't see that as a high possibility unless it's for the purposes of retaining Keenum for a trade.

Last edited:
I know aussiedude is dead set keen on Cousins joining the Jets, but I'm not convinced that he's the guy that Maccagnan would sign if given the opportunity.

For mine, the quintessential Maccagnan QB is Josh Allen. A big arm behemoth of a QB (6'5") with a cannon for an arm but with accuracy issues and little mobility. He would follow in the footsteps of Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg, who came into the NFL with cannons for arms, little mobility and accuracy issues.

I could be way off base, as Cousins would be the best QB the Jets have had in years (Brett Favre when he was healthy, maybe?) but I suspect that Maccagnan would like to spread the money around various positions and look to the draft to find a QB, with Josh McCown re-signed as the backup.

I know aussiedude is dead set keen on Cousins joining the Jets, but I'm not convinced that he's the guy that Maccagnan would sign if given the opportunity.

For mine, the quintessential Maccagnan QB is Josh Allen. A big arm behemoth of a QB (6'5") with a cannon for an arm but with accuracy issues and little mobility. He would follow in the footsteps of Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg, who came into the NFL with cannons for arms, little mobility and accuracy issues.

I could be way off base, as Cousins would be the best QB the Jets have had in years (Brett Favre when he was healthy, maybe?) but I suspect that Maccagnan would like to spread the money around various positions and look to the draft to find a QB, with Josh McCown re-signed as the backup.
I've heard that if the Vikings go with Bridgewater then they'd be interested in McCown as the backup. The backup spot in Minnesota would be a tempting one due to the high chance of starting.

I presume the Dolphins will place the exclusive franchise tag on Landry. Seems to be a lot of opinion out there that the Dolphins are trying to tag and trade Landry, but I wonder if any team is going to be prepared to give up a first round pick plus either $16 million for a 1 year deal or a multi-year deal for Landry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm just not sure how they can tag him if they've only got $8.2m in cap space though.

Tagging him seems like a great way to end up in cap hell

I presume the Dolphins will place the exclusive franchise tag on Landry. Seems to be a lot of opinion out there that the Dolphins are trying to tag and trade Landry, but I wonder if any team is going to be prepared to give up a first round pick plus either $16 million for a 1 year deal or a multi-year deal for Landry.

9ers maybe....eh though I've seen a lot of them would rather not reduce Taylor's opportunities.

Throw money and weapons at the new QB.

dnno.gif

Landry tagged.

I'd have liked him in Indy.

You may well like the idea of him suiting up for you but you wouldn’t want to have to pay him 16 million .
IMO That’s not money well spent.

Very surprised they tagged him myself also, the lack of quality WRs in the draft no doubt also played a big part in the Dolphins tagging him.

How much would they have to pay Suh if they cut him? Hearing from a few Fins fans that they think its a possibility.

You may well like the idea of him suiting up for you but you wouldn’t want to have to pay him 16 million .
IMO That’s not money well spent.

Yep, especially when TY Hilton is pretty much just the same but a better version of Landry.

Very surprised they tagged him myself also, the lack of quality WRs in the draft no doubt also played a big part in the Dolphins tagging him.

How much would they have to pay Suh if they cut him? Hearing from a few Fins fans that they think its a possibility.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back