Strategy 2018 Game Plan

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah two poor games is unforgivable
If nothing else I respect your relentless zealotry.

With Kirk, Cox and Stevie J on the coaching staff I expect our rucks to tap the ball down beautifully to our mids who attack the ball with a reckless disregard for personal safety, get the ball back out to our rucks who cover the ground like men half their size and get the ball to our forwards who snap freakish goals from the pocket.

I will accept nothing less.

I’d like to be proven wrong but I wouldn’t think any of our draftees would be ready to go for early 2018 (unless we have a disaster start again and need to call on some untried kids)

So Florent, Hayward, Aliir and Dawson need huge pre seasons. I’d like to see at least the first three playing predominantly senior footy this year in lieu of Cunningham, Towers, Sinclair etc.

Florent or Dawson can take Towers place in the middle, Hayward is an improvement on Cunningham forward of centre, Aliir plays ruck in Sinclair’s place, Melican comes back in as a defender (which means Sammy the Dinosaur gets the boot but we only need one ruck Horse!)

Then let Naismith and Cameron work on their craft in the NEAFL as I think both could be good rucks they’re just harder to develop.

Everybody wins!

There's a lot going right and the game plan holds up in my view. We just need to get our best people and the right attitude on the park. I don't mind if it's only the Hawks having the wood on us if they are not a finals threat. Our game plan stands up well enough to finals footy (if executed well).

The change will come from lots of incremental improvements this year. Lots of good experience has gone into our young players this year and a better run with injuries to start the new year should see us capitalise on our couple of years of rebuilding on the fly. We need to manage our list to be fresh come finals, both physically and mentally. Less than a top 4 finish would be disappointing. We are probably capable of a top 2 with a few thingsl going well.

I’d like to be proven wrong but I wouldn’t think any of our draftees would be ready to go for early 2018 (unless we have a disaster start again and need to call on some untried kids)

So Florent, Hayward, Aliir and Dawson need huge pre seasons. I’d like to see at least the first three playing predominantly senior footy this year in lieu of Cunningham, Towers, Sinclair etc.

Florent or Dawson can take Towers place in the middle, Hayward is an improvement on Cunningham forward of centre, Aliir plays ruck in Sinclair’s place, Melican comes back in as a defender (which means Sammy the Dinosaur gets the boot but we only need one ruck Horse!)

Then let Naismith and Cameron work on their craft in the NEAFL as I think both could be good rucks they’re just harder to develop.

Everybody wins!
Except Towers, who has really just started to string together some consistency.

Turn up on the day. That’s it. That’s the game plan. The last two premiers were in no way the best teams of their years. They had plenty of holes in their game that needed to be filled and not as much talent in their squad as we have. But they performed when it mattered and it got them a flag each.

There’s no other way to look at it. Fussing over who is a slightly better kick or who is quicker than the other or more composed than someone else is completely pointless if you don’t have consistency.

I'll argue against you here as in I certainly wouldn't have said either team showed up a huge weakness in our game plan, we lost two games to Hawthorn by a solitary kick and and the slightest difference - a mark taken here or there, Jake Lloyd playing, a bit more hardness around the packs etc, etc would have/could have delivered an entirely different result.
As far as the final against Geelong goes, (in my opinion anyway) in our minds we had that game done and dusted and were focused on the following week, simply put we didn't bother turning up. We had shown a few weeks earlier that our game plan is capable of cutting Geelong to shreds.
Take out the first six weeks of last season and we showed our game plan works and works incredibly effectively, with only Adelaide, Hawthorn and GWS really showing they had any answers.

What we did to the Cats in the H&A doesn't matter. what mattered was that crucial final and we, as usual in crucial games, 2014 GF, 2016 GF, either don't turn up or not for a whole match.The other thing is we were a tad lucky against the Crows and Tigers in that they kicked badly, very badly. We did the same against Dons and nearly robbed ourselves of a game. They should not have even been in it.

The game plan can work if everyone has a good day. But... not everyone is going to have a good day every week. Against the weaker teams we will win anyway, unless our senior players play like they did in the first six games. It wasn't the youth that were a problem rounds one to six, it was that the senior players took no responsibility and shirked it. The were a disgrace and some of them should not even be playing for our club if they can't take responsibility when they have inexperienced teammates.

But the coaching was poor too. Longmire and the coaching panel just coached as though they had a full compliment of experienced players instead of a lot of young kids. The coaches didn't adjust. Mind you it might have been just Longmire who didn't adjust as I'm not certain the assistant Coaches could be heard anyway with Blakey, now head of development, sitting right next to him and them getting into each other's ears every game. Blakey needs to take a backseat and allow the first assistant to sit next to Longmire and communicate directly what the other coaches have coordinated. That would probably be Kirkie. The other thing is that with new assistants come new ideas.

I hope its ok for an opposition supporter to post here. As an outsider with a lot of respect for the way you guys play and watching your awesome midfield (unless its Crows vs Swans;)) its frustrating to watch when Buddy is double teamed, you have another forward in a really good position yet they kick it to Buddy every time. Don't be so Buddy centric and you will kick a lot more goals.

2018 Game plan will equal the 2017 Game plan....... We have been shown to not deviate much.

Yes, it will be the same plan but, based on who we recruited, maybe with more outside toe.

The one flaw is when we let other teams chip it around uncontested, a la Hawthorn (twice) and Geelong in the SF(if I'm remembering). I'm assuming other teams tried it as well but failed because either we didn't let them get the ball or we pressured it back off them.

Let's hope Horse has that one figured out for 2018 because every team will come at us with it.

Yes, it will be the same plan but, based on who we recruited, maybe with more outside toe.

The one flaw is when we let other teams chip it around uncontested, a la Hawthorn (twice) and Geelong in the SF(if I'm remembering). I'm assuming other teams tried it as well but failed because either we didn't let them get the ball or we pressured it back off them.

Let's hope Horse has that one figured out for 2018 because every team will come at us with it.

I would love to see every team try that keepings off game plan against us. They have all tried and only Hawks have had any success using it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aliir is one that i hope has a big hear..if he can get back to 2016 form we will either have a great defender to go forward with or we will get a decent pick back from freo

One thing I think I'd like to see is Melican take the big bodied fwds off Grunds a little more. Start to assume that role before the end of the season.

We desperately need someone to take that Smitty role over the next year or so too IMO. Who steps up & takes that role?

So it seems to me that no-one actually knows what the game plan is... and no-one is willing to speculate either.

What about roles? Do you think that each of our players goes out with a specific role to play, or only some of them?

Smith's role must be to take his opponent out of the game... definitely a winner imo :)
Reid's is swing man... and I wonder if he is actually sent down back or now makes the call himself?:eek:
Rampe is surely the general in defence now that Teddy is gone... another winner :)
Jones is maybe being developed into a Shaw and Newman into Malceski type roles...

Thoughts, opinions???

So it seems to me that no-one actually knows what the game plan is... and no-one is willing to speculate either.

What about roles? Do you think that each of our players goes out with a specific role to play, or only some of them?

Smith's role must be to take his opponent out of the game... definitely a winner imo :)
Reid's is swing man... and I wonder if he is actually sent down back or now makes the call himself?:eek:
Rampe is surely the general in defence now that Teddy is gone... another winner :)
Jones is maybe being developed into a Shaw and Newman into Malceski type roles...

Thoughts, opinions???
Good rundown Kirksy.

I think Smith/Grunds/Rampe are the key to our success this year. If their form holds up & they don't get bombarded too regularly then we can push the Lloyds, Newmans, Mills & Melicans etc up the field a bit more aggressively.

Thoughts, opinions???

By themselves each players role won't win us any games, together they make an awesome team.

We need a tinker of our stoppage set up and our transition out of defence.
We need a complete overhaul of our forward setup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back