News 2018 General AFL Discussion

Funny that. I thought he cost them the game. The last clean possession the Demons had was his torpedo which was the most idiotic thing I’ve seen. That ball needed to go back to Jordan Lewis to chip around & switch to the other side of the ground to burn off another 30-40 seconds.

Agree, classic case of having ones head so far up ones arse all they see is gold with him in that moment.

The second he learns to be selfless then he brings regret with those that overlooked him.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Agree, classic case of having ones head so far up ones arse all they see is gold with him in that moment.

The second he learns to be selfless then he brings regret with those that overlooked him.
I regret it now. He will learn and be a player.

Didn't see last night, but I remember him being comprehensively beaten in the centre by Steven in the last bounce of the Saints v Melbourne.

A Selwood, or Dangerfield or Kelly would have won the clearance and given his team a chance of victory.

Instead he put a hand in at the ball and Stuv pushed past and kicked to the vacant wing. I can't remember if Petracca even chased it.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

How crap are Carlton lol , another thrashing today . They have no heart . Has Silvani copped flack for bringing in all those Giants reserve players yet ? They are duds . When he got them there was all this crap in the paper about what a great deal it was for Carlton.

Go Saints

listening to this sam newman, grant thomas and mike sheahan podcast and geeze they drop some bombs, lierally no *s given and a ticking time bomb for defamation, in this podcast alone:
- bomber thompson left the country after his arrest to go to the states, but only spent a couple of hours there, then went to thailand. why did he go to thailand? because of a lady boy he's seeing (NTTIAWWT), that he visited in remand over here.
- the AFL and Geelong knew about bomber thompsons issues
- Grant Thomas confronted the president Butters about his drug use and knew his job was in jeopardy from that moment,
- Grant Thomas asked the club CEO for help addressing Butters drug use, got no help,
- Grant Thomas asked Andy D, CEO of the AFL for help for addressing Butters drug use, got no help.

How crap are Carlton lol , another thrashing today . They have no heart . Has Silvani copped flack for bringing in all those Giants reserve players yet ? They are duds . When he got them there was all this crap in the paper about what a great deal it was for Carlton.

Go Saints

massive * up. his excuse for it was they needed experience due to the amount of changes they were making. its a valid identification of a problem they had but it was the wrong course of action.

i reckon he did it because he genuinely thought they would be good players, B grade atleast. they just havent come on.

instead he should have been going for moneyball senior types. like we did with Koby, Bruce, Logan, Savage etc. especially for them, the inside mids.

Hayes4PM

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
listening to this sam newman, grant thomas and mike sheahan podcast and geeze they drop some bombs, lierally no ****s given and a ticking time bomb for defamation, in this podcast alone:
- bomber thompson left the country after his arrest to go to the states, but only spent a couple of hours there, then went to thailand. why did he go to thailand? because of a lady boy he's seeing (NTTIAWWT), that he visited in remand over here.
- Grant Thomas confronted the president Butters about his drug use and knew his job was in jeopardy from that moment,
- Grant Thomas asked the club CEO for help addressing Butters drug use, got no help,
- Grant Thomas asked Andy D, CEO of the AFL for help for addressing Butters drug use, got no help.

That sounds ******* awesome, keep em coming.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
listening to this sam newman, grant thomas and mike sheahan podcast and geeze they drop some bombs, lierally no ****s given and a ticking time bomb for defamation, in this podcast alone:
12 years ago. GT lives in the past and can't get over it because of a rampant ego.

Jan 26, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne United
GT certainly has a healthy ego, but I'd say that having a robust ego is almost a pre-requisite for becoming an AFL coach. Diffcult job that most fail at, you'd have to have a decent amount of confidence to pursue it.

Re AFL/Geelong potentially knowing re Thompson, there are so many sliding doors moments in the 2000s era. Hard not to ruminate on it, especially given our current season.

12 years ago. GT lives in the past and can't get over it because of a rampant ego.

i dunno if true its pretty bloody damning

his story was that he had to confront the president about it because media and industry types were coming up to him concerned he was using cocaine too due to the behaviour of the president. he said he has never touched cocaine, but has smoked a joint or two.

so he confronted him infront of the club and said this has to stop. we are trying to turn this club into something successful and not the rabble of previous decades and we all have to be working towards achieving that and drug use was not helping, or words to that affect.

the part about his informing the CEO of the AFL asking for help about a president of a football club using drugs only to be given no help is pretty alarming. its damning really.

it feels like Andy D had a "Dont ask, dont tell" policy in regards to drug use

Am i the only one that respects Grant Thomas over that sort of thing.?
Its not defamation, everyone knows about butthead.

Carlton are the best thing about this season. Watching them play never fails to cheer me up, nor does reading their forum. Wonderful stuff :D
I'm absolutely loving it.

The arrogance and swagger of some Carlton people I know has completely disappeared…...have been very surprised how long it took tho.

When their not bagging the Saints(and with good reason this year) it's all "we're going to get Kelly...Whitfield..." etc etc.

And it's comforting to know that at least one team is worse than us.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
GT certainly has a healthy ego, but I'd say that having a robust ego is almost a pre-requisite for becoming an AFL coach. Diffcult job that most fail at, you'd have to have a decent amount of confidence to pursue it.

Re AFL/Geelong potentially knowing re Thompson, there are so many sliding doors moments in the 2000s era. Hard not to ruminate on it, especially given our current season.
GT is not an AFL coach, just a bitter old has been.
Some say he never was a coach

the part about his informing the CEO of the AFL asking for help about a president of a football club using drugs only to be given no help is pretty alarming. its damning really.
If that was true at the time....that's absolutely alarming.

With the footy first group when challenging.......Westaway was implying Butters was on the juice at board meetings.

Rocket went beserk saying "I'll sue"

He couldn't because it was true.

GT is not an AFL coach, just a bitter old has been.
Some say he never was a coach
Most of us would have nothing to add to this forum if we weren't bitter old has beens
You know ...Glory Days..... the older I get the better I was.....I can remember when type of stuff

Stewart66

Premiership Player
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
FFS now Sidebum may have a broken jaw and miss 4 weeks

More concerned about Ken Hinkley after being gifted a howler of free kick whinges that GWS
tried to stop Wingard kicking the goal and touching it.

Must be something in that water down at Geelong that he & Chris Scott drank over time.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
More concerned about Ken Hinkley after being gifted a howler of free kick whinges that GWS
tried to stop Wingard kicking the goal and touching it.

Must be something in that water down at Geelong that he & Chris Scott drank over time.
Aren't they allowed to try and stop the goal?

luca77

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2010
Japan
AFL Club
St Kilda
Just checked out the ladder predictor. Jeez those two games vs Hawks and Roos are going to be big in determining our draft picks.
I think we're a good chance of winning one of them, but if we do we'll probably finish 3rd last above the Suns, who should have 2 picks.

Geelong's after the siren winner, Hawthorn's thrashing of Carlton and the Giants upset over Port has put us mathematically out of the finals race (like we were ever in it anyway but whatever).

Most wins we can finish on is 9, which would end our season on 38 points - currently two short of 8th.

You can strike the Doggies out next week if they lose to Port Adelaide or Melbourne, Hawthorn & Geelong win.

Good chance we drop to 16th at the conclusion of this round, with Gold Coast playing Carlton at Metricon. We will hold pick 3 from there.

Just checked out the ladder predictor. Jeez those two games vs Hawks and Roos are going to be big in determining our draft picks.
I think we're a good chance of winning one of them, but if we do we'll probably finish 3rd last above the Suns, who should have 2 picks.

I did it and had us finishing 15th with a half game above the Lions so probably pick 5. I had the Dees missing finals which was nice at least.

Back