News 2018 General AFL Discussion

I didn't get into Aussie Rules to have all this gossipy nonsense thrust in my face. That's their problem, should be dealing with it in private.

The Age of Communication is a wonderful time to live in, but this part of it blows.

“Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned,” and for better or worse these days the whole world will know about it.

Fox ch504 2009 rnd 14 Saints v Cats
images

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
As Molly would say "Do yourself a favour and check this out." Arguably the best game ever played.
I know this is going to sound a bit like Loser Talk especially to oppo fans, but IMO in lieu of a threadbare "Trophy Room" at Moorabbin, there should be a "History Room".

This would obviously include the 1966 premiership cup, as well as the various other cups like the Wizard Cups and McLelland (sp?) cups etc. But more importantly it would pay homage to our club's proudest moments in Aussie Rules history, which although haven't gained the number one spot, deserve to be remembered and celebrated.

Winmar's defiance is an obvious example, but the war of attrition against North in the 30s is another, our record breaking 19-game imperious winning streak in 2009 including the beauty against the Cats, that annoying year about 100 years ago where we won the GF and had to play the H&A leader for the premiership cup or something... I'm sure you folks could think of many more examples.

All the moments of Almost Glory that are just brushed away simply because we only got it 95% done. It's an uncomfortable notion, one that a lot of people might take as celebrating failure, but for me it would be a lot more rewarding as a visitor to the club than a tiny room with one cup in it.

I know this is going to sound a bit like Loser Talk especially to oppo fans, but IMO in lieu of a threadbare "Trophy Room" at Moorabbin, there should be a "History Room".

This would obviously include the 1966 premiership cup, as well as the various other cups like the Wizard Cups and McLelland (sp?) cups etc. But more importantly it would pay homage to our club's proudest moments in Aussie Rules history, which although haven't gained the number one spot, deserve to be remembered and celebrated.

Winmar's defiance is an obvious example, but the war of attrition against North in the 30s is another, our record breaking 19-game imperious winning streak in 2009 including the beauty against the Cats, that annoying year about 100 years ago where we won the GF and had to play the H&A leader for the premiership cup or something... I'm sure you folks could think of many more examples.

All the moments of Almost Glory that are just brushed away simply because we only got it 95% done. It's an uncomfortable notion, one that a lot of people might take as celebrating failure, but for me it would be a lot more rewarding as a visitor to the club than a tiny room with one cup in it.
I know where you got that idea from austinnn :cool:

meet-the-fockers-wall-of-gaylord1.jpg

We'll have to agree to disagree there. Good or bad, I don't like being limited by tradition. Anyway, I like the recent StK logo our marketing crew have created, variation on a theme. I think there's potential to be explored further, without reinventing the club identity.

I think our Maddie's match jumper is our best looking jumper & would have no issues if we took it on as a full time strip.

I think our Maddie's match jumper is our best looking jumper & would have no issues if we took it on as a full time strip.
Dude...

The purple ain’t that good..

It should be the permanent Maddies match jumper. Simple and classy. The three panels retain the Saints look.

New ruckman Tom Hickey off to flying start at West Coast Eagles pre-season training

https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-c...ast-eagles-pre-season-training-ng-b881025557z

Interesting article, especially the quote below in reference to Scott Clayton

“It is good to have one person in Australia that backs you,” Hickey said today. Whack!

Some players need a kick up the backside and others need to have their tires pumped up. I always felt like Hickey fell into the later group
On the surface, from his comment above, it appears as though he felt the Saints selectors had no faith in him.
Was it poor management by the Saints coaching staff or just a player who is always going to have a lack of belief in himself?
I'm sure we will have a better idea at the end of the 2019 season. I am already looking forward to the "did we make the right decision on Hickey" debate

Hmmm. That live trade they did to get pick 19 looks even more ******* horrendous now :eek:
Agree there Rors………..my gut feeling was that the trade could turn into a giant hand grenade if certain things went pear shaped.

Feel for the guy....a horrible thing to happen let alone 2 years running.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
So today I got a long email from my brother who has been living in Gundagai for the last few years, explaining how during that time and probably for about a year before he had been on the poker machines. A rough estimate of how much he lost in this time is around eighty thousand dollars. Spent many Saturdays travelling to Wagga or Tumut just to gamble. He basically spent a lot of what he could afford on the pokies. Also spent a fair bit of money on lottery tickets.

His partner only found out about this on Saturday and is very upset as she thought he would be saving money for their future together, and they are likely to break up.

He's already begun to get help, seeing a gambling counselor. He doesn't see himself as a victim, hes taken ownership of his addiction problem (addicted to cigarettes too) just feels foolish and guilty.

I know this is no one's fault and he has an addiction problem and just taking poker machines away won't solve those problems, but today I read this article about Collingwood getting rid of all their (overt) gambling connections and i make absolutely no bones that I yearn with all my heart for a day when our club stops profiting from human weakness in this way.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-11/bombers-win-pokies-extension-as-magpies-bow-out

The Pies are a rich club, and one of the reasons they've got rich is from their use of Poker Machines so I'm not idealistic to imagine they're better than us, but I sure as hell celebrate another club cutting their ties with this shameful activity.

I urge anyone with similar problems to recognise that addiction is difficult to tackle alone, and that talking to others and allowing them to hear your story and possibly help doesn't make you vulnerable, you are strong to look yourself in the mirror and address your weaknesses.

I'm proud of my brother for doing something about his problem and hope anyone with problems like this can find the strength to do the same.

Back