No Oppo Supporters 2018 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It's 2018 so suppose we can use a shiny new thread.

AFLX Fixture is out http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-01-24/aflx-fixture-power-cats-to-kick-things-off

Allianz Stadium, Sat Feb 17
Pool A: Greater Western Sydney, Richmond, Brisbane Lions
Pool B: Sydney, Western Bulldogs, Gold Coast

Schedule (times in AEDT)
4.10pm – GWS v Richmond
4.38pm – Sydney v Western Bulldogs
5.06pm – Richmond v Brisbane Lions
5.34pm – Western Bulldogs v Gold Coast
6.02pm – Brisbane Lions v GWS
6.30pm – Gold Coast v Sydney
7.03pm – Grand Final

Personally don't think this concept will catch on but who knows.

The start of the JLT is also when the swans bigfooty board scouts will start to mull over the best 22 for the swans match against the bye in round 14.

The AFL doesn't decide until midway. They can't exactly back a club close to the wooden spoon eh?

Feeding into conspiracies, Melbourne will get good treatment this year
Yeh the Don's.

Bet they would love the Sun's to do well. Even the Lions. Some northern love for all their investment. Been a while since Qld saw September action. Good for sponsorship.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aflw is awful

Will harp on and say that it won't be at all good in the short term until they shrink the ground by about 20-30 metres.

Magbrix

Debutant
Aug 17, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Watched tbe last half.
Final score 22 to 14.
Better not comment any more as I will be politically incorrect.

Saying you'd only watch it for the **** and ass is politically incorrect. Saying a crap game is crap is not non-PC but frankly would have thought more of you. Being a long time AFl guy - how many new teams (remember GWC or GC - wait the latterare still crap) were great to start with. And they still had seasoned players as well as the cream of the draft (who had played years of top quality AFL). Expecting more from a whole league of unseasoned, non-professional players is frankly ludicrous - and that observation came from my partner - a bloke. The kicking is crap but given how inexperienced they are the positioning is pretty great (they have game sense) and a few have real AFL skills - Lambert for one. Yes i watched most of the game. And it was hard in parts but also entertaining in others - its very much a start. It will only get better - what is it 50 games before you can really rank a player;-).

It should be expected. Most of the players have only turned full time in the last year while they also haven't had any growth opportunities before. It'll never get to VFL level but soon enough will be a much higher standard than what it currently is

Might have to stand on its own two feet to get there

Shorten the ground dramatically is job one

It should be expected. Most of the players have only turned full time in the last year while they also haven't had any growth opportunities before. It'll never get to VFL level but soon enough will be a much higher standard than what it currently is
Then why not watch the VFL instead? It is a far better standard. I assume people watch the AFL instead of the southern districts division 7 because they prefer to watch a higher standard of football

Then why not watch the VFL instead? It is a far better standard. I assume people watch the AFL instead of the southern districts division 7 because they prefer to watch a higher standard of football

If you can't enjoy it for what it is then it's probably not for you in the same way that you might not enjoy watching NRL if you are an AFL devotee.

Nothing wrong with southern districts div 7 sf51. :$

It's all about reality .v. expectation. I think people were expecting the AFLW to be of a far higher standard given the "AFL" branding & association. If you decide to watch it then I think you need to watch it for what it is. Largely amateur female footballers. It's not AFL standard & that's completely understandable. With the right support, the quality will lift season after season.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Saying you'd only watch it for the **** and ass is politically incorrect. Saying a crap game is crap is not non-PC but frankly would have thought more of you. Being a long time AFl guy - how many new teams (remember GWC or GC - wait the latterare still crap) were great to start with. And they still had seasoned players as well as the cream of the draft (who had played years of top quality AFL). Expecting more from a whole league of unseasoned, non-professional players is frankly ludicrous - and that observation came from my partner - a bloke. The kicking is crap but given how inexperienced they are the positioning is pretty great (they have game sense) and a few have real AFL skills - Lambert for one. Yes i watched most of the game. And it was hard in parts but also entertaining in others - its very much a start. It will only get better - what is it 50 games before you can really rank a player;-).

All is good.
I watched the 2014 GF replay against Hawthorn right after it & it got me out of my depressed mood.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Nothing wrong with southern districts div 7 sf51. :$

It's all about reality .v. expectation. I think people were expecting the AFLW to be of a far higher standard given the "AFL" branding & association. If you decide to watch it then I think you need to watch it for what it is. Largely amateur female footballers. It's not AFL standard & that's completely understandable. With the right support, the quality will lift season after season.

I think I am finding it hard to get with the big crowds/tv coverage/8 page Herald Sun AFLW liftout stuff which lifts my expectation only to see the outcome.
22 to 14.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back