No Oppo Supporters 2018 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Going early here but I am of the opinion that this season is going to be a very open one with no dominant sides at all.
I hope not. I like dominance, the last two grand final winners have felt meh.

I hope not. I like dominance, the last two grand final winners have felt meh.
Richmond absolutely dominated when it mattered, they had big wins against the sides ranked 1st, 2nd, and 4th during the finals. They also beat Port (5th), Essendon (7th), West Coast (8th). That was dominant enough for me

I am sitting here having a few stubbies in Brisbane’s watching YouTube and thinking I don’t believe there has been a better Prelim than us vs the Plastics in 2016 for at least 20 years. Then I remembered this -

Holy s**t, what a game!

Fun fact. Camera shaking after final goal due to swan fans going so berserk their jumping for joy antics literally shook the stands at SCG.

Richmond absolutely dominated when it mattered, they had big wins against the sides ranked 1st, 2nd, and 4th during the finals. They also beat Port (5th), Essendon (7th), West Coast (8th). That was dominant enough for me
They may have dominated in the finals but they did have the luck of playing the two teams above them on their home deck where the support for them was too good to ignore.

And they never really felt like a dominant team. At no stage last year was I personally convinced they were a genuine contender. Once again the wave of momentum from supporters and media alike made for a fairytale finale like the year before.

Now of course if they back it up again this year or atleast make a top four finish then I'll happily admit they deserve more respect but if they follow in the Bulldogs footsteps or just have a first round knockout in the finals then to me it will be another flash in the pan premiership win.

I am sitting here having a few stubbies in Brisbane’s watching YouTube and thinking I don’t believe there has been a better Prelim than us vs the Plastics in 2016 for at least 20 years. Then I remembered this -

Holy s**t, what a game!

I happened to be sitting in that pocket, and I remember drunkenly having a go at swans leaving early. Never leave early. Imagine being in the car listening to the radio after.

Holy s**t, what a game!

I understand what you're saying but this was a semi final.

How much is this salary cap now?

Surely Sloanne is not worth that??
I assume Adelaide are paying overs just to keep him. Their track record of keeping star players hasn't been great in the last few years.

In saying that, Buddy's contract looks cheaper by the year with these midfielders getting huge coin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assume Adelaide are paying overs just to keep him. Their track record of keeping star players hasn't been great in the last few years.

In saying that, Buddy's contract looks cheaper by the year with these midfielders getting huge coin.

Yes, they the Crows have certainly lost their share.
It's all in Sloannes square, this seasons domino come trade week most likely.

How much is this salary cap now? Surely Sloanne is not worth that??
Will be 29 at the start of next season so probably looking for a four year contract that takes in the years when he is 29, 30, 31, 32.

Adelaide's best midfielder, makes things happen and is all heart although didn't cope with tags last season.

North quoted as saying they can afford and will chase two $1mill pa Free Agents this year as they have obviously been stockpiling salary cap after clearing out a heap of senior players and having few who are worth paying big $. You would think that Sloane would certainly be a target for them to fast track their rebuild and provide leadership depth. Crows will have to break their payment structure if they are going to keep Sloane, his girlfriend/fiancé/wife is from Melbourne and is in the media I believe so Adelaide would be a backwater for her.

Tom Lynch from Gold Coast would also be getting a Dusty size offer from North you'd reckon.

Will be 29 at the start of next season so probably looking for a four year contract that takes in the years when he is 29, 30, 31, 32.

Adelaide's best midfielder, makes things happen and is all heart although didn't cope with tags last season.

North quoted as saying they can afford and will chase two $1mill pa Free Agents this year as they have obviously been stockpiling salary cap after clearing out a heap of senior players and having few who are worth paying big $. You would think that Sloane would certainly be a target for them to fast track their rebuild and provide leadership depth. Crows will have to break their payment structure if they are going to keep Sloane, his girlfriend/fiancé/wife is from Melbourne and is in the media I believe so Adelaide would be a backwater for her.

Tom Lynch from Gold Coast would also be getting a Dusty size offer from North you'd reckon.

No doubting Sloannes ability, unless at that price tag.
The Kangaboo's also have Kelly to fit in the cap come two years time.

No doubting Sloannes ability, unless at that price tag.
The Kangaboo's also have Kelly to fit in the cap come two years time.
Front ended contract, Kelly's ramps up as Sloanes ramps down.

Buddy's contract does currently look like inspired recruiting and let's not forget the massive profile and membership boost he has given the Swans since his arrival, worth way more than the actual $ we are paying him.

Buddy's contract does currently look like inspired recruiting and let's not forget the massive profile and membership boost he has given the Swans since his arrival, worth way more than the actual $ we are paying him.

Yes all plausible.

For Fu, Buddy is the best buy since Plugger.
Unfortunately no flag with Plugger leading the line.
Hopefully history never repeats, in this respect.

Not only that but there's only one Buddy. You can a get another Sloan for cheaper.

With Tippett gone, we aren't the Bondi Billionaires anymore! (Not that we ever were mind you, it was always a BS narrative)
For now. Tom McCartin will be worth $1m+ in 2022 ;) (yep, funny how there isn't the same hysteria surrounding highly paid players at other clubs. All clubs funnel a fair proportion of salary cap into a few players they consider at the top end, it's not out of the ordinary and the figures back it up.)

The data here makes for rather pretty viewing for the Buddy deal considering the trend of more players earning over $900k

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-22/player-payments-revealed-millionaires-on-the-up
So the 9 players they have hinted are $1m+ are:

1. Buddy
2. Gablett
3. Boyd
4. Pendles
5. Fyfe
6. Beams
7. Hurley
8. Lynch
9. ?Cotchin/Prestia?

I honestly, hand on heart, think of that group Buddy is the most marketable and exciting. He's the one that would drag the memberships & bums on seats.

Likewise, I think there's a solid argument that he's contributed more to winning games for his club on the field than any of that bunch in the last 3-5 years.

If I had my choice today of who I would pick from that list for a 3 year deal then I'd find it hard to go past Bud. Sure Lynch & Beams would catch my eye, but Bud, right now, is as dominant and brilliant as he has been for the past 5 years. The man is a freak and we're lucky to have him.

We made a brave but also very calculated call on bringing him in. As you say Cloud_, with the cap increasing and more players earning $900k-$1m+ the Buddy deal looks like a masterstroke by the club.

So the 9 players they have hinted are $1m+ are:

1. Buddy
2. Gablett
3. Boyd
4. Pendles
5. Fyfe
6. Beams
7. Hurley
8. Lynch
9. ?Cotchin/Prestia?

I honestly, hand on heart, think of that group Buddy is the most marketable and exciting. He's the one that would drag the memberships & bums on seats.

Likewise, I think there's a solid argument that he's contributed more to winning games for his club on the field than any of that bunch in the last 3-5 years.

If I had my choice today of who I would pick from that list for a 3 year deal then I'd find it hard to go past Bud. Sure Lynch & Beams would catch my eye, but Bud, right now, is as dominant and brilliant as he has been for the past 5 years. The man is a freak and we're lucky to have him.

We made a brave but also very calculated call on bringing him in. As you say Cloud_, with the cap increasing and more players earning $900k-$1m+ the Buddy deal looks like a masterstroke by the club.
Dangerfield not on the list?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back