2018 general discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Hiya Suns fans.

I've written up an article looking at all the big topics for your off-season as part of my club-by-club series on The Roar, and thought there might be some interest in reading it here.

Give it a read if you like.

Please do move or delete this thread if this kind of post is frowned upon here.
Great assessment, I love how you believe we will be in premiership contention in 3 years, gives me optimism. Also on Lynch, Barlow stated he will 100% stay, of course it can change, but I am confident he will stay around

Greetings. Had a look around and couldn't find an opposition fans post here thread so figure I'll ask here.

What's going on with the suns management and coaching situation? We received a real boost with the AFL installing Noble & Fagan last year, so was wondering if the league is helping to right the ship.

On a side note, I would really like Ainsworth to make the move up the road in 2019. He was one of two players I really wanted at the Lions last draft

Greetings. Had a look around and couldn't find an opposition fans post here thread so figure I'll ask here.

What's going on with the suns management and coaching situation? We received a real boost with the AFL installing Noble & Fagan last year, so was wondering if the league is helping to right the ship.

On a side note, I would really like Ainsworth to make the move up the road in 2019. He was one of two players I really wanted at the Lions last draft

He'd have to break his contract to do that. He's signed til the end of 2020....

Friend we Queenslanders should not be talking about pillaging from each other. Pillage from Victoria WA and SA thank you.

I look forward to the day when both clubs hate each other more than any other

But those days are years away and for now cannibalising each other would be terrible for the game up here

Let's both get some credibility first

I understand why you would want him, he was a shining light in our very dull season, he has shown more passion for this club than many before him. If the Suns are successful in the future he will be one of the reasons why. For now I agree with the other posters pillage Victoria mate, they love doing it to us

On ZTE T84 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I understand why you would want him, he was a shining light in our very dull season, he has shown more passion for this club than many before him. If the Suns are successful in the future he will be one of the reasons why. For now I agree with the other posters pillage Victoria mate, they love doing it to us

On ZTE T84 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Really has absolutely nothing to do with his season for the Suns. Except for the two QClash games, I didn't watch a second of the Suns.

I wanted Ainsworth (and Witherden) all last year leading up to the draft. Ainsworth is just one of those characters that all clubs need, both on and off the field.

Really has absolutely nothing to do with his season for the Suns. Except for the two QClash games, I didn't watch a second of the Suns.

I wanted Ainsworth (and Witherden) all last year leading up to the draft. Ainsworth is just one of those characters that all clubs need, both on and off the field.
Funny a Lions supporter would be gunning for Ainsworth
Seeing him finally gave me hope we could redress the Zorko fiasco

Funny a Lions supporter would be gunning for Ainsworth
Seeing him finally gave me hope we could redress the Zorko fiasco
We have a pretty active draft thread, that usually starts a month after the draft. Our 2017 draft thread is currently 129 pages long (and our trade thread is currently 145 pages long). Heck we've even started talking about the 2018 draft.

Anyway. Ainsworth was talked about from very early on in the season. A lot of debate centred on whether a small forward should be drafted so early. By the end of the season there was the McCluggage camp and the Ainsworth camp. Then Cal Twomey interviewed Ainsworth just after the trade period and Ainsworth said he was happy come to Brisbane.

So yeah, one Lions fan at least would still like to see Ainsworth at Brisbane.

We have a pretty active draft thread, that usually starts a month after the draft. Our 2017 draft thread is currently 129 pages long (and our trade thread is currently 145 pages long). Heck we've even started talking about the 2018 draft.

Anyway. Ainsworth was talked about from very early on in the season. A lot of debate centred on whether a small forward should be drafted so early. By the end of the season there was the McCluggage camp and the Ainsworth camp. Then Cal Twomey interviewed Ainsworth just after the trade period and Ainsworth said he was happy come to Brisbane.

So yeah, one Lions fan at least would still like to see Ainsworth at Brisbane.
Was actually really surprised you guys didn't take Ainsworth after he announced in his interview he was happy/wanted to come to QLD to play footy. Still think McCluggage is going to be special but also thought I had heard he was a flight risk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was actually really surprised you guys didn't take Ainsworth after he announced in his interview he was happy/wanted to come to QLD to play footy. Still think McCluggage is going to be special but also thought I had heard he was a flight risk.
It helped that we drafted McCluggage's best mate in Jarrod Berry. As well as Cedric Cox, which saw us draft three Murray Bushrangers last year. Berry already displays leadership qualities and has extended his contract by two years. Rumours are that McCluggage and Witherden will extend this summer and that will be all our kids from 2015 and 2016 re-signed.

It helped that we drafted McCluggage's best mate in Jarrod Berry. As well as Cedric Cox, which saw us draft three Murray Bushrangers last year. Berry already displays leadership qualities and has extended his contract by two years. Rumours are that McCluggage and Witherden will extend this summer and that will be all our kids from 2015 and 2016 re-signed.
McCluggage, Berry and Cox were from North Ballarat Rebels - but agree that it was a good plan drafting 3 teammates/friends. Was more surprised though just based on Jarrod Berry not being a certainty to make it to your second pick as it was during the draft

McCluggage, Berry and Cox were from North Ballarat Rebels - but agree that it was a good plan drafting 3 teammates/friends. Was more surprised though just based on Jarrod Berry not being a certainty to make it to your second pick as it was during the draft
Yeah, crap, my bad.

A lot of us were really sweating the draft as McCluggage/Ainsworth were our top preferred draftees and then most of us had Berry/Witherden at our second pick. Few of us thought Berry would get through to our second pick and few thought Witherden would get through to our third pick. And Cox had quite a few fans an talked up a lot during the TAC cup season.

Really Stephen Conole has nailed the last two drafts.

This draft is going to be harder. Rayner or Paddy Dow, with Cerra an outsider. Do we even keep pick 1.

Just quietly. Was good seeing young Ainsworth get better as the season went on..
As for Bowes.. he played better footy as a 16-17yr old in the NEAFL then last year.
Last year i think he was being played out of position?

I think going forward Bowes and Ainsworth should spend more time in the midfield. Its the only way they going to gain confidence going forward.
Ainsworth could be a stronger more powetful lachie neal who hits the scoreboard.

Just quietly. Was good seeing young Ainsworth get better as the season went on..
As for Bowes.. he played better footy as a 16-17yr old in the NEAFL then last year.

I think going forward Bowes and Ainsworth should spend more time in the midfield. Its the only way they going to gain confidence going forward.
Ainsworth could be a stronger more powetful lachie neal who hits the scoreboard.
So you mean Dayne Zorko then? :p

Honestly i thought Bowes was a little overrated before his Draft, to me should have been a late first round/early second round pick. but what do i know.

speaking of those two, jack & ben were in the heat room today training according to jack's instagram storey. good to see these blokes are motivated!

So Preseason getting closer. Our team pretty much set with just a 2nd round draft pick and academy guys to come in.

Biggest wish for this pre season is no injuries as well as all the boys buying into Dees vision. I think the past two years have shown that it isn't the best overall team that wins, but the team that wants it the most and is completely buying into the gameplan.

We have some very good talent and I think Dew is the one to develop them properly.

In terms of the younger guys:
Bowes - is a mid and should played there, he really struggled as a back but we also had none else to play there.
Scrim - expecting him to play more this year and have a huge pre season. Showed glimpses last year and hopefully plays 12-15 games this year. 2019 is his breakout year I think.
Brodie - same as Scrim. As an inside mid just needs to build up his body and take it slowly so we don't ruin his body ala Swallow.
Ainsworth - gun already and hope he plays around 18-20 games.

Out of the others I'm expecting Swallow to have a very good season along with Lyons. Hopefully Miller returns to form.
Leslie and Thompson will be a good battle for that 2nd key spot all year as well.
Big one is Lynch, I'm really hoping Dews new gameplan allows Lynch to play with more freedom and take advantage of his aerobic capacity to ensure he isn't standing still against 3 opponents everytime he tries to mark.

I do think this year is a building year, but I also think we can aim to finish around 10th. We should have a softer draw and even though we are not at home for the first half I would hope we have a good run of home games to finish off the season

So Preseason getting closer. Our team pretty much set with just a 2nd round draft pick and academy guys to come in.

Biggest wish for this pre season is no injuries as well as all the boys buying into Dees vision. I think the past two years have shown that it isn't the best overall team that wins, but the team that wants it the most and is completely buying into the gameplan.

We have some very good talent and I think Dew is the one to develop them properly.

In terms of the younger guys:
Bowes - is a mid and should played there, he really struggled as a back but we also had none else to play there.
Scrim - expecting him to play more this year and have a huge pre season. Showed glimpses last year and hopefully plays 12-15 games this year. 2019 is his breakout year I think.
Brodie - same as Scrim. As an inside mid just needs to build up his body and take it slowly so we don't ruin his body ala Swallow.
Ainsworth - gun already and hope he plays around 18-20 games.

Out of the others I'm expecting Swallow to have a very good season along with Lyons. Hopefully Miller returns to form.
Leslie and Thompson will be a good battle for that 2nd key spot all year as well.
Big one is Lynch, I'm really hoping Dews new gameplan allows Lynch to play with more freedom and take advantage of his aerobic capacity to ensure he isn't standing still against 3 opponents everytime he tries to mark.

I do think this year is a building year, but I also think we can aim to finish around 10th. We should have a softer draw and even though we are not at home for the first half I would hope we have a good run of home games to finish off the season

Nice summary....10th would be a dream imo, as it probably means we just miss out on the 8 by % or a game....I think that is overs...12th at best imo....but what the frock do I know, the Tiges went from 13th to premiers...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

speaking of those two, jack & ben were in the heat room today training according to jack's instagram storey. good to see these blokes are motivated!
There was some sort of agreement from the players to come back earlier than is typical yeah?

Would be really good if we could get off to a winning start... Need reward for effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back