2018 general discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Positive from the train wreck of the weekend.

Ballard was great.

Schoenfeld didn't look out of place and thought he had a positive impact on the game.

Lemmens in his return game was good. Will only get better for the run.
Always been a fan of Lemmens when playing forward, so i'm glad dew see's him as one. bit too turnover prone to be a defender imo but his manic pressure/tackling and his ability to weave through traffic is perfect for a modern small forward

Ballard looks to me like he'll be averaging 15 - 20 disposals off HB or HF then explode in his 3rd or 4th year as a midfielder once he's added size. Already a good contested ball winner and he's pretty thin. He's honestly what I expect Scrimshaw to be.

Schoenfeld is another that I always thought added value. His disposal is actually pretty solid and off a wing or HB he's a good link up player and he runs into space all game.

saw an instagram story from jesse joyce this arvo with this sheet of paper in front of him.
i've only recently learnt of the all black prinicples, and when i did my first thought was i ******* hope the suns have taught their players about these ideals. after doing a bit of research it seems its a bit of a popular cultural learning piece so perhaps they have been trying to push it for years, but getting the players to believe in some of these principles would be a great start in developing our culture under dew.

d8d43-all2bblacks.png

saw an instagram story from jesse joyce this arvo with this sheet of paper in front of him.
i've only recently learnt of the all black prinicples, and when i did my first thought was i ******* hope the suns have taught their players about these ideals. after doing a bit of research it seems its a bit of a popular cultural learning piece so perhaps they have been trying to push it for years, but getting the players to believe in some of these principles would be a great start in developing our culture under dew.

d8d43-all2bblacks.png

Dean Solomon put these principles in place when he was caretaker coach last year.
I don’t know if Dew continued it on or not.

Hey guys, wasn't sure where to ask this and didn't want to start a new thread...

Taking the wife and kids up to the Gold in a couple of weeks, obviously we have most of the standard things booked in, but any insider knowledge of things we can do that a lot of people may not know about would be appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

Hey guys, wasn't sure where to ask this and didn't want to start a new thread...

Taking the wife and kids up to the Gold in a couple of weeks, obviously we have most of the standard things booked in, but any insider knowledge of things we can do that a lot of people may not know about would be appreciated.

Cheers in advance.
how long are you up for? where are you staying?

if you're going to movieworld, there's a night market on friday and saturday nights called nightquarter which is 5min down the road in helensvale, open from 4-10pm. food, drinks, live music. kid friendly as well, lots of familes go early around the 4pm onwards. there's a similar type of night market in miami (10min south of broady) as well called miami marketta, although i've never been so can't really comment.

mount tamborine is a great day trip, it's a little village on top of a mountain essentially. really different vibe compared to the hustle and bustle and only 30min drive. there's a pretty good high ropes course at thunderbird park if you're up for that sort of thing.

if you're into waterfalls and hiking, about 30/45min west of the M1 (main motorway) are some great places to visit up in springbrook national park like natural bridge, best of all lookout, purlingbrook falls (my personal favourite), canyon lookout, & twin falls.

there's lots of great areas south of broadbeach too. miami & burleigh heads are fairly popular with the locals, lots of cafes & restaurants and great beaches, even in winter. coolangatta down south near the border is a great place to watch the sunset over surfers & broady in the evening. currumbin surf club is a great spot for lunch also, if you want to take beachside dining literally. i'm sure Mr Bods can vouch for that.

if you're after shopping, pacific fair at broadbeach probably has your widest and best range of shops, albeit maybe a bit more pricey compared to some of the other shopping centers on the coast.

depending how old the kids are, i've got a couple good food recommendations too if you like, as i'm sure many other locals on our board could help you out with also!

i'm assuming you've got a hire car booked? if not a lot of these places are reachable by public transport, especially if you're staying around the main hotel areas like broady & surfers. some of the ones in the hinterland maybe not so much.

hope that helps!

if you're going to movieworld, there's a night market on friday and saturday nights called nightquarter which is 5min down the road in helensvale, open from 4-10pm. food, drinks, live music. kid friendly as well, lots of familes go early around the 4pm onwards. there's a similar type of night market in miami (10min south of broady) as well called miami marketta, although i've never been so can't really comment.

mount tamborine is a great day trip, it's a little village on top of a mountain essentially. really different vibe compared to the hustle and bustle and only 30min drive. there's a pretty good high ropes course at thunderbird park if you're up for that sort of thing.

if you're into waterfalls and hiking, about 30/45min west of the M1 (main motorway) are some great places to visit up in springbrook national park like natural bridge, best of all lookout, purlingbrook falls (my personal favourite), canyon lookout, & twin falls.

there's lots of great areas south of broadbeach too. miami & burleigh heads are fairly popular with the locals, lots of cafes & restaurants and great beaches, even in winter. coolangatta down south near the border is a great place to watch the sunset over surfers & broady in the evening. currumbin surf club is a great spot for lunch also, if you want to take beachside dining literally. i'm sure Mr Bods can vouch for that.

if you're after shopping, pacific fair at broadbeach probably has your widest and best range of shops, albeit maybe a bit more pricey compared to some of the other shopping centers on the coast.

depending how old the kids are, i've got a couple good food recommendations too if you like, as i'm sure many other locals on our board could help you out with also!

i'm assuming you've got a hire car booked? if not a lot of these places are reachable by public transport, especially if you're staying around the main hotel areas like broady & surfers. some of the ones in the hinterland maybe not so much.

hope that helps!

Exile-that was awesome. The only thing I’d add to that Hank Heavenly is as the Mayor of Currumbin you go to Currumbin Surf Club For Breakfast (opens at 7am) and then to the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary.
But exile covered it to perfection. Miami Marketta I can vouch is worthwhile.

Exile-that was awesome. The only thing I’d add to that Hank Heavenly is as the Mayor of Currumbin you go to Currumbin Surf Club For Breakfast (opens at 7am) and then to the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary.
i did the opposite of that for a work christmas party once. currumbin wildlife sanctuary in the morning, currumbin surf club for drinks afterwards, ended up at justin lane in burleigh. great night!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr Bods, am I reading that correctly? You are the Mayor of Currumbin! When I lived in Currumbin 10 years ago, that title belonged to a bloke I knew. How long have you held the title?

Mr Bods, am I reading that correctly? You are the Mayor of Currumbin! When I lived in Currumbin 10 years ago, that title belonged to a bloke I knew. How long have you held the title?

Ha Ha nah I’m being a bit of a lark giving myself that title.
I live a pretty quiet life. Work, eat, sleep, take care of loved ones and dream of seeing GC Sports Teams be Great basically sums me up.

Ha Ha nah I’m being a bit of a lark giving myself that title.
I live a pretty quiet life. Work, eat, sleep, take care of loved ones and dream of seeing GC Sports Teams be Great basically sums me up.
10 years ago there was only 1 Mayor of Currumbin. You or what?

Not me. Ten years ago I wasn’t even in Currumbin.
I'm old skool Currumbin. Couple of streets named after my family. I lived at the Boatshed for a bit when I was managing the cafe. s**t experience, but have to say it wasn't hard knocking back stubbies next to the beautiful clear waters of my ancestors.

I'm old skool Currumbin. Couple of streets named after my family. I lived at the Boatshed for a bit when I was managing the cafe. s**t experience, but have to say it wasn't hard knocking back stubbies next to the beautiful clear waters of my ancestors.
I think I’ve been down 17th avenue

hope that helps!
Cheers exile and Mr Bods , always good to get a local view than just do all the standard touristy stuff.
We are up there for 6 days, our 2 boys are 10 and 8 so the standard theme parks will get a run, but we always look to do something different.
The mrs loves hiking so sadly you may have cost me there! lol.
I hear Top Golf has just opened, my boys enjoy a little bit of golf and from what I read that can be a good little entertainer for a couple of hours with foods and drinks there???
And we love a good breaky so the Surf Club is on the hit list for sure.

Cheers exile and Mr Bods , always good to get a local view than just do all the standard touristy stuff.
We are up there for 6 days, our 2 boys are 10 and 8 so the standard theme parks will get a run, but we always look to do something different.
I hear Top Golf has just opened, my boys enjoy a little bit of golf and from what I read that can be a good little entertainer for a couple of hours with foods and drinks there???

I'm not on the Gold Coast right now, but Top Golf has opened up between Movie World and Wet n Wild, and from what I remember, you can get a family pass that takes in Seaword,Movieworld and Wet n Wild......might be of interest to you.

apologies for the hiking bit haha
sounds like a good age for your kids to have some fun up here. top golf would be another good idea, just opened up last weekend to the public. i haven't tried it yet but it looks like a bunch of fun!

i know friends that work there and had the friends and family night a few weeks back.
was told the food and drinks service was great decent prices and tasted amazing. the cocktails i think were $15 and packed with alcohol.
the game is pretty fun too.

Geez, as Bruce would say, Swans vs Tigers is pretty willing. Buddy with a forearm to Rance’s throat - gone for sure. 2 minutes later, Vlastuin, best player on the field, elbows an opponent in the face.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back