connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
General Santos City, Mindanao
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Persis Solo, Davao Aguilas FC
It's the only gambling in Australia where it is not a requirement that the odds be posted prior to payment. You're right about the big clubs being in old existing areas though. Are you sure the spend is still declining? I knew it was in 11 and 12, but I thought it had begun to increase again with the advent of larger jackpots.

This is an old story but it is still relevant imo: https://taxandsupernewsroom.com.au/large-amounts-state-tax-revenue-gambling-safe-bet/

NSW and Victoria have the highest tax dependence on gambling, raking in an estimated $2 billion and $1.8 billion respectively. A report on gambling by the Productivity Commission several years ago put this in percentage terms, showing Victoria relying on gambling for 13% of its revenue. The ACT and Western Australia have the lowest percentage reliance, at 4%.

What this means is that NSW and Victoria cannot afford to reduce gaming, so regardless of it's impact, they will continue to support it, while large off-shore corporations continue to pay little or no tax.

Right, I'll shut up about it now 'cause I could still be whinging about it this time next week!
When the Equine Influenza epidemic hit Australian horse racing a few years ago and all racing was closed down for 18 months I was staggered to be informed by a senior racing official in NSW that the NSW government was "desperate" to get the racing industry going again because they relied heavily on the monthly tax from the TAB to cover the Public Service Superannuation Fund obligations. So desperate were they to get some gambling revenue that they allowed camel races at the old Harold Park. One camel was winning every race, apparently the Winx of camels. So they used to change the number and name on her for the different races. The gambling so called industry.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Are you seriously suggesting that the report on AFL media made up the quotes?

Nope, I'm not even referring to that article or Horse's actual quotes from the press conference after the match

I'm referring to a post made by punts

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/john-longmire.1163515/page-68 (Post 1679)

Loves unattractive footy and no dare

First words to florent were if you had your chance again what would you do , or putting Reid back in defence in the first quarter against gws

Stubbing and set in his ways imo

That was made up and yet is believed by the likes of RUNVS who posted soon after the post by punts who now think Horse barely tolerated it and will force Florent to take the game on less. Yet when you watch the bloody press conference that while his preference would've been to hold up play at that point of the game he never told Florent not to back himself in or didn't tolerate it.

But knock yourself out splitting hairs and ignoring context.

It's the only gambling in Australia where it is not a requirement that the odds be posted prior to payment. You're right about the big clubs being in old existing areas though. Are you sure the spend is still declining? I knew it was in 11 and 12, but I thought it had begun to increase again with the advent of larger jackpots.

This is an old story but it is still relevant imo: https://taxandsupernewsroom.com.au/large-amounts-state-tax-revenue-gambling-safe-bet/

NSW and Victoria have the highest tax dependence on gambling, raking in an estimated $2 billion and $1.8 billion respectively. A report on gambling by the Productivity Commission several years ago put this in percentage terms, showing Victoria relying on gambling for 13% of its revenue. The ACT and Western Australia have the lowest percentage reliance, at 4%.

What this means is that NSW and Victoria cannot afford to reduce gaming, so regardless of it's impact, they will continue to support it, while large off-shore corporations continue to pay little or no tax.

Right, I'll shut up about it now 'cause I could still be whinging about it this time next week!

It's going to get a whole lot worse Kirky.

Tabcorp are going to start a raffle/lottery that directly funds sport.

It is an absolute disgrace.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12...d-to-boost-funds-for-community-sport/10597614

McRobie

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
You mean Moana Hope? What's wrong with that?
Have you seen her stats? She sucks so badly it’s not funny! She only gets her mug on tv because she’s a loud mouth. Absolute parasite. There’s heaps better girls they could have taken.

It's going to get a whole lot worse Kirky.

Tabcorp are going to start a raffle/lottery that directly funds sport.

It is an absolute disgrace.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12...d-to-boost-funds-for-community-sport/10597614
I know, and gaining financial support for community sports is a real problem. But only the middle to lower financial classes buy lottery tickets, and youth from all backgrounds play sports. And to use a national betting agency legitimises betting as okay according to the Fed Govt, totally ignoring the figures that indicate 41% of people who gamble on sports have a gambling issue/problem.

It's a good article... but not enough is being done imo.

I know, and gaining financial support for community sports is a real problem. But only the middle to lower financial classes buy lottery tickets, and youth from all backgrounds play sports. And to use a national betting agency legitimises betting as okay according to the Fed Govt, totally ignoring the figures that indicate 41% of people who gamble on sports have a gambling issue/problem.

It's a good article... but not enough is being done imo.

Do you know why Santa's suit is coincidentally the same colours as Coke?

FYI, not a coincident.

I have been watching a few Adam Goodes highlights the last hour or so and I have forgotten how much I miss seeing him in the red and white. A truly spectacular player in what he could do. I would kill to have a 25 year old Goodes in the team right now.

The most talented player I've ever seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks don't really want what is best for the AFL, just Hawthorn.

Nothing wrong with this, wish Sydney were doing the same thing.

Hawthorn are playing a practice match against Carlton on Thursday and their players are prioritising the practice match rather than AFLx.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
AFLX is like "fetch"

Just stop it.

It is not going to be a thing.

It seems like another in the line of sports leagues trying to play to the casual fan who doesn't have enough attention to give to the full game. Every sports league is trying to find their version of Rugby 7's or 20/20. But those worked in very, very select contexts. Nobody in the world of AFL was clamouring for a far shorter, hyper-paced version of the game.

Sports organisations now have business development managers whose task it is to innovate and come up with new ideas and AFLX smacks of that.

Nobody is interested in it and it will not take off. Although I appreciate that the AFL is willing to innovate and try new things generally, this bastardised version of the game is not what anyone wants.

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Former Swans fitness guru Dave Missen has moved on from Melbourne after leaving us for St Scum .
Went to school with Dave and his brother. Both excellent athletes, their father played test cricket for Australia. Where has he moved on to?

Are there major sponsors for AFLX?

If it is KFC or Dominos, I am concerned our current generation of young bucket people and cardboard box kids will be targeted.

The other day I was delighted to see a motley group of kids playing kick to kick in a small no though road. This was the first time in ages I'd seen kids having a kick (or playing cricket) in the street.

It was an absolute red letter day.

Went to school with Dave and his brother. Both excellent athletes, their father played test cricket for Australia. Where has he moved on to?

I had wondered whether Dave was related to Frank Misson (a talented but rather erratic and typically over rated NSW player).

For me, Dave Misson made a wonderful contribution to our Club. IMHO, we have struggled in the Fitness department since he left.

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
I had wondered whether Dave was related to Frank Misson (a talented but rather erratic and typically over rated NSW player).

For me, Dave Misson made a wonderful contribution to our Club. IMHO, we have struggled in the Fitness department since he left.
Frank is Dave's father. Dave and his brother Michael were Australian school boys reps in both cricket and rugby, as well as Australian age champions in athletics. Great blokes aswell.

Never picked you as a teeny bopper movie fan. :)

Watch, read and listen to pretty much any genre.

Always hidden gems everywhere. I would actually surprise most people if they met me. :)

It seems like another in the line of sports leagues trying to play to the casual fan who doesn't have enough attention to give to the full game. Every sports league is trying to find their version of Rugby 7's or 20/20. But those worked in very, very select contexts. Nobody in the world of AFL was clamouring for a far shorter, hyper-paced version of the game.

Sports organisations now have business development managers whose task it is to innovate and come up with new ideas and AFLX smacks of that.

Nobody is interested in it and it will not take off. Although I appreciate that the AFL is willing to innovate and try new things generally, this bastardised version of the game is not what anyone wants.

Yep - this.

It's all about the Benjamins baby
1f3b6.png

HighReeve

Anything will grow in Wessex
Sep 27, 2003
the north. (/melb)
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brotherhood Without Banners

Think it was Canada.

Are there major sponsors for AFLX?

If it is KFC or Dominos, I am concerned our current generation of young bucket people and cardboard box kids will be targeted.

The other day I was delighted to see a motley group of kids playing kick to kick in a small no though road. This was the first time in ages I'd seen kids having a kick (or playing cricket) in the street.

It was an absolute red letter day.

Pretty sure its realestate.com.au haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back