Preview 2018 Goodbye (To 2019) New; Preseason Discussion

What will happen between now and Round 1?

• Total voters

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
The good part about Schofield being poached is that it'll probably be after we win a flag. Nobody is getting poached if we are just making up the numbers again.

I'd also suggest he might want to stay on at least until we draft his son.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Why are we worried about a guy being poached who has only been here for 5 mins?

Are we that insecure these days?

Richardson, Walsh and Burgess and getting stuck with Shart and Voss. Every club loses quality people though.

Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The good part about Schofield being poached is that it'll probably be after we win a flag. Nobody is getting poached if we are just making up the numbers again.

I'd also suggest he might want to stay on at least until we draft his son.

I was just thinking about that, if Schofield coaches us and we have Taj playing for us.

Has there even been an AFL coach with a son of his in his team?

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ryan Pagan played 3 games for North Melbourne in 2000 when Denis was coach.

Denis admitted it was the beginning of the end for him at North.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/11/05/pagan-admits-selecting-his-son-was-the-start-of-the-end/

Could certainly be awkward for both father and son and easy to cop critasism for only selecting him because he’s your son or copping it on field and in the media, only getting selected because coach is your dad.

Would probably need to be harder on them the other players to compensate and need brutal honesty from your assistants if they need dropping and not take it personally. Could be an awkward dynamic, but shouldn’t be a problem if dealt with professionally.

Ryan Pagan played 3 games for North Melbourne in 2000 when Denis was coach.

Denis admitted it was the beginning of the end for him at North.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/11/05/pagan-admits-selecting-his-son-was-the-start-of-the-end/

It’s never a problem if people see the body of work and it stacks up against everyone else. It’s when you’ve got to use words like “opportunity” and “chance” that things go amiss.

Ryan Pagan was a rookie listed player that got to fulfill his dream of playing AFL because his father was the coach. Keep in mind that the Kangaroos were the reigning premiers - there was no way in hell that a rookie listed player should have got anywhere near that team with the players who would have been waiting in the wings for their shot.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Would probably need to be harder on them the other players to compensate and need brutal honesty from your assistants if they need dropping and not take it personally. Could be an awkward dynamic, but shouldn’t be a problem if dealt with professionally.
I'd leave it to the rest of the match committee to decide when Taj should get games (if Schofield was head coach and Taj was on the list). Not that I think Schofield would pick him if not ready, but conflict of interests are about the perception as well as whether you've acted on it. And if Taj is as good as it looks he will be, then if Schofield is coach the assistants will want him in fairly quickly anyway.

Why are we worried about a guy being poached who has only been here for 5 mins?

Are we that insecure these days?
No, a handful of people are worried.

Alastair Clarkson wasn't poached as such. He was part of an extensive interview process that included around 10 candidates. Preferred candidates Rodney Eade (Bulldogs) and Terry Wallace (Richmond) took jobs at other clubs while the Hawks job was still open. Gary Ayres was also interviewed but Clarkson was preferred which surprised some.

Clarkson was also an assistant coach at St Kilda in 1999 and senior coach of Werribee in 2000 before taking on Centrals in 2001.
It helped that acting CEO Jason Dunstall made up his mind before the process started, that he wanted someone from outside Hawthorn - ie who didn't have a playing or coaching experience at the hawks.

It helped that acting CEO Jason Dunstall made up his mind before the process started, that he wanted someone from outside Hawthorn - ie who didn't have a playing or coaching experience at the hawks.

The Don Scott group was on the warpath at the time and reserved the right to overturn the appointment if they turfed out the board. Sliding doors indeed.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
PORT ADELAIDE midfielder Karl Amon has put a knee injury and talk of an off-season trade behind him and is eager to cement himself in the Power side in 2019.

Amon, 23, had surgery in the post-season to correct a lateral meniscus tear in his right knee.

The classy left-footer admits his knee issues were worrying him for the last 18 months but says he feels great now – demonstrating his fitness by finishing among the leaders in Port’s post-Christmas time-trial at Alberton Oval on Friday.

“I’ve sort of just got confidence in my body and in my knee so I like to think I’m in pretty good condition,” he said during an interview on Adelaide radio program SEN SA Breakfast.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2019-01-11/amon-keen-to-make-his-mark

Pudney did win the 2018 McCallum-Tomkins Medal, played in the WWT premiership team (32 disposals) and played state football for SA's championship winning team. He had an above average year.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
PORT ADELAIDE defender Riley Bonner spoke at a press conference on Friday afternoon after the Power players returned to their pre-season training after a three-week festive break.

He discussed how he had ramped up his own fitness regime in case he is asked to play on the wing in 2019 and he talked about being excited to have Hamish Hartlett returning to full fitness to join the backline.

The 21-year-old explained the benefits of having new faces including 2018 premiership player Scott Lycett and former Hawthorn defender Ryan Burton joining the group, and his own ambitions for 2019.

Here are the best bits: http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2019-01-11/the-best-bits-bonner-presser

Back