Preview 2018 Goodbye (To 2019) New; Preseason Discussion

What will happen between now and Round 1?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe not, don't think he'll make it up foward. Especially with Farrel, Rozee (develop into a mid) Butters and Woodcock. So worth a shot id say.
If he can't make it up forward, he won't be on an AFL list in 2020. He's poorly skilled, has zero composure and awareness, and doesn't get involved enough. There's nothing to suggest he would succeed as a mid.

AJ has some athletic tools and is a tackling demon, but his other skills, or lack thereof are realistically the very thingsmitigating against him being a long term AFL footballer.

I would give him half a season in the Magpies as a mid to see if he can cut it. Not enough output as a forward imho, so he gets his act together on the ball or it's hasta lavista at year's end. My money is on the latter tbh.

Agree with those who are suggesting AJ won't be on the list next season, the o t t salivating by some when he ran onto a loose ball to score a goal from the scoreboard half forward flank in his first game didn't take into account there was no other player, team mate or opponent, in the same post code, and you don't get that much space too often at that level of footy.

Happy to be wrong, but going by what I have seen he doesn't get the ball often enough at sanfl level to suggest he has much, if any AFL future.

AJ has some athletic tools and is a tackling demon, but his other skills, or lack thereof are realistically the very thingsmitigating against him being a long term AFL footballer.

I would give him half a season in the Magpies as a mid to see if he can cut it. Not enough output as a forward imho, so he gets his act together on the ball or it's hasta lavista at year's end. My money is on the latter tbh.
Half a season as a mid in the Maggies is half a season of midfield development potentially taken away from someone else. If it means someone like Willem Drew isn't getting that opportunity, I'm not interested.

Any updates on how Hayes is going?

Very well. Has added an incomprehensible amount of mass. He is genetically gifted in that department. His rehab has gone without a hitch.

The original injury was 70% genetics/pre-existing and 30% gangly teenager growing into his body. He had a condition on that particular knee which is undetectable without exploratory surgery. The slots where the ACL thread in were abnormally small and made it much more likely to do an ACL. Has been rectified in the reco process and the prognosis is great.

The only issue is we don't know if his other knee has the same issue. Doing all we can to get his knee and lower body as rock solid as possible in terms of prehab. Here is hoping.

On track to develop quickly. The club strongly believe he's every chance to be a total freak of nature.

Last edited:
Very well. Has added an incomprehensible amount of mass. He is genetically gifted in that department. His rehab has gone without a hitch.

The original injury was 70% genetics/pre-existing and 30% gangly teenager growing into his body. He had a condition on that particular knee which is undetectable without exploratory surgery. The slots where the ACL thread in were abnormally small and made it much more likely to do an ACL. Has been rectified in the reco process and the prognosis is great.

The only issue is we don't know if his other knee has the same issue. Doing all we can to get his knee and lower body as rock solid as possible in terms of prehab. Here is hoping.

On track to develop quickly. The club strongly believe he's every chance to be a total freak of nature.
Looks to have quickly bridged the size gap between himself and the other older ruckmen.

Ladhams: 94kg, 203cm
Ryder: 96kg, 197cm
Frampton: 96kg, 200cm
Hayes: 96kg, 203cm
Lycett: 101kg, 203cm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the update Doc. The few games I saw Sam play with the Magpies I was so impressed with his positioning and strength for such a young guy. If he can stay sound I have very high hopes for him.

Thanks for the insight. Saw him against the bays on a friday night early last season. Have to say i was excited. He is going to fill out big, has a great leap, soft hands, a good kick, and is smart. If the body holds together may well be the steal of his draft.

Questionable if we're beyond North after they got Polec and we lost him.

Our midfield is unfortunately trash, and has proven that over several years.

They been disappointing. Hopefully Wines has a bit of growth as Captain. SPP should have a fair bit of room to improve, thinking he’ll have a good year.

Worry about Boak, Ebo and Rockliff. A big year from Atley to get ahead of these guys would be great. Nothing against them, love em like everything else, but there behind Wines and SPP as inside mids and they lack pace and ball use.

Keen to see Bonner on a wing for pace and ball use.

With Houston, Hartlett and Burton all across half back there is room to push Bonner up the ground.

Wouldn’t mind seing Hartlett rolled through the Midfeild in small bursts, can probably afford to with the other guys across half back, allows one of Boak, Ebo and Rockliff to be left out, maybe Leirnert as a on a wing.

Can’t rely on the same Midfeild group again this year., they weren’t good enough last year and that’s when we had Polec in very good form.

Need to try something new if we want to improve.

They been disappointing. Hopefully Wines has a bit of growth as Captain. SPP should have a fair bit of room to improve, thinking he’ll have a good year.

Worry about Boak, Ebo and Rockliff. A big year from Atley to get ahead of these guys would be great. Nothing against them, love em like everything else, but there behind Wines and SPP as inside mids and they lack pace and ball use.

Keen to see Bonner on a wing for pace and ball use.

With Houston, Hartlett and Burton all across half back there is room to push Bonner up the ground.

Wouldn’t mind seing Hartlett rolled through the Midfeild in small bursts, can probably afford to with the other guys across half back, allows one of Boak, Ebo and Rockliff to be left out, maybe Leirnert as a on a wing.

Can’t rely on the same Midfeild group again this year., they weren’t good enough last year and that’s when we had Polec in very good form.

Need to try something new if we want to improve.
"Need to try something new if we want to improve."
One thing in our favour ... we have a new midfield coach ... that's where things will happen .. no gold passes there this season.
Shape up or ship out of the midfield.

"Need to try something new if we want to improve."
One thing in our favour ... we have a new midfield coach ... that's where things will happen .. no gold passes there this season.
Shape up or ship out of the midfield.

Absolutely, and maybe i'm being a tad harsh and no doubt game plan/coaching is a factor but there have been to many occasions they have underperformed or simply not turned up. Time for change and recon we need a bit more pace and improved ball use in the middle.

Absolutely, and maybe i'm being a tad harsh and no doubt game plan/coaching is a factor but there have been to many occasions they have underperformed or simply not turned up. Time for change and recon we need a bit more pace and improved ball use in the middle.
Jarrad Schofield on his plans for the Power midfield:
“We’ve for a very good midfield there and the one thing I will be looking to add is greater depth to the midfield so we’re not just reliant on too few. You’ll definitely see that from myself, adding to the mix.
Who they are, we’ve got a whole pre-season to work that out but there’ll be some surprises because I’m all about rewarding people for that effort.
So Jarrad has spoken ...
Interesting times ahead with the midfield. At bloody last.. :thumbsu:

The need for pace in the midfield is probably the reason why we selected the more polished Duursma over the raw Collier-Dawkins. I'm expecting pretty much all of our top three draft picks to get several games this year, and if they aren't, it will be because certain players like Powell-Pepper have started to deliver on their promise and not just be one dimensional players.

Oh man, fingers crossed for the fella, and the other knee.
Marshall looks to have put on some muscle too.
I wonder if they pondered with checking the other knee out surgically. Perhaps too risky?

Oh man, fingers crossed for the fella, and the other knee.
Marshall looks to have put on some muscle too.
I wonder if they pondered with checking the other knee out surgically. Perhaps too risky?

Recon its be fine, key hole and get a camera in there for a look. Thing is unless there some way of fixing it theres really no point.

This is all thinking out loud;

Not sure if you could either compress the ligament and try scraping the opening to enlarge it. Or alternatively cutting the ligament to widen the hole and re-attach it, assuming this is a much simpler fix then a rupture, but that would be high rish (if its even possible) and i would assume it would need to be a certainty that you'd rupture it to consider.

12th ranked midfield isn’t surprising. I reckon a few of our senior players would be undervalued given our poor finish to 2018 as well as a poor season by a few such as Rockliff. Plenty of scope to improve with the 2 ruck system and with Schofield on board. It’s probably the one area of the park we can make the biggest improvement.

Back