Game Day 2018 Grand Final discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

That was definitely illegal blocking. Every day of the week

Even assuming the umps let a bit go on both side all day, nothing was as as blatant as that one.
I’m less sure. He was actually ball side of the Rioli and could have gone straight to the ball but tried to engage and then got out bodied. Nothing to stop him going straight to sheed.

I’m less sure. He was actually ball side of the Rioli and could have gone straight to the ball but tried to engage and then got out bodied. Nothing to stop him going straight to sheed.
Nah, he was running to up to Sheed and Riolli's intent wasn't on the ball it was to block him.

I was barracking for the Eagles and I actually don't like that rule, but according to the modern interpretation I'm sure it was "blocking". In the old days it was totally legal to "shepherd" providing the ball was within five meters. Weird how changing a description from 'shepherd' to 'block' changes people perceptions of the legality of the action. I'd like to go back to the old interpretation.

Agreed , Rioli would've been penalised for having better position and outbodying Maynard. For we know Rioli may not have even known Sheed was coming up from behind him.

Got to hand it to West Coast. That first quarter blitz by Pies was something else, and then to concede 2 goals in first min of the last -- it was a pretty impressive comeback. McGovern is an absolute champ.
Showed a lot of maturity. Absolutely deserved it.
They also get extra points for handling the 2015 drubbing like a man, not sook like some other club!

Got to hand it to West Coast. That first quarter blitz by Pies was something else, and then to concede 2 goals in first min of the last -- it was a pretty impressive comeback. McGovern is an absolute champ.

Cast your mind back to the 1991 GF. West Coast blitzed the Hawks early in the 1st term, had 4 goals on the board before we had time to settle. I've never seen Langers so flustered. A couple of late goals into the breeze saw us back to within 9 points at 1/4 time. They way the Hawks regrouped after that initial onslaught was a credit to the character of the team.

I agree with McGovern, easily the best defender in the AFL. Doesn't have to hold and scrag a la Silvagni, he just out marks his opponents.

I'm still amazed how good of a kick Dom Sheed's was being 2 points down in a GF with 2 mins to go. The sequence of play leading up to that goal was also outstanding from the eagles. Collingwood got off to a flyer but played to passive after quarter time IMO, wasn't helped by Grundy, Sidebottom & Pendles having really below par games.

Nah, he was running to up to Sheed and Riolli's intent wasn't on the ball it was to block him.

I was barracking for the Eagles and I actually don't like that rule, but according to the modern interpretation I'm sure it was "blocking". In the old days it was totally legal to "shepherd" providing the ball was within five meters. Weird how changing a description from 'shepherd' to 'block' changes people perceptions of the legality of the action. I'd like to go back to the old interpretation.
19F658C7-3D66-4B6A-81BF-8F9D2B588780.jpeg
Maynard goes back to Rioli first and then gets outbodied.

I see after the NRL Grand Final, NRL Chairman Peter Beattie claimed NRL is the most watched sport in Australia. Sorry, but I find that very difficult to believe.
He can make such ridiculous statements because he knows that nobody is watching

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it wrong of me to copy the game and watch the last 3 minutes on repeat?
Then laugh at Collingwood’s ability to lose a game when they had it in the bag from the opening bounce?

Just needed more closeups of Eddie and his sons!

View attachment 566870
Maynard goes back to Rioli first and then gets outbodied.

The flight of the ball was behind sheed and Rioli cut off Maynard at the pass. Watch the behind the goal vision on AFL360. And then Sheed plays on to add further comic relief.

But Before that Adams had a ping with a quick right banana but if he had a left snap it was game over. The behind goals footage showed Treloar could have lowered Vision to hit Cox albeit on the left peg and a few Pies players were jogging back almost spectating. Also De Goey didn’t go with McGovern in that contest. Eagles were plus 18 inside 50s and deserved to win, I can accept that.

Moral of story, you can play someone with an injury cloud especially if your name is Jeremy McGovern

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I see after the NRL Grand Final, NRL Chairman Peter Beattie claimed NRL is the most watched sport in Australia. Sorry, but I find that very difficult to believe.

That’s nothing I believe every fifa World Cup is watched by twice the worlds actual population

Showed a lot of maturity. Absolutely deserved it.
They also get extra points for handling the 2015 drubbing like a man, not sook like some other club!

2015 hawks never let the eagles off the rack. This Collingwood team did. Not sure about the relative strengths of the two eagles teams. Their small forwards are markedly better

‘The immunity Rioli’

The flight of the ball was behind sheed and Rioli cut off Maynard at the pass. Watch the behind the goal vision on AFL360. And then Sheed plays on to add further comic relief.

But Before that Adams had a ping with a quick right banana but if he had a left snap it was game over. The behind goals footage showed Treloar could have lowered Vision to hit Cox albeit on the left peg and a few Pies players were jogging back almost spectating. Also De Goey didn’t go with McGovern in that contest. Eagles were plus 18 inside 50s and deserved to win, I can accept that.

Moral of story, you can play someone with an injury cloud especially if your name is Jeremy McGovern

I have watched it plenty of times. Maynard’s first movements are back towards Rioli. Maynard initially is trying to block rioli’s path to the ball until he realises sheed is the real threat. He almost has his back to sheed by this point. That is not the way you would position yourself to defend sheed.

I have watched it plenty of times. Maynard’s first movements are back towards Rioli. Maynard initially is trying to block rioli’s path to the ball until he realises sheed is the real threat. He almost has his back to sheed by this point. That is not the way you would position yourself to defend sheed.

Unless you work for the tv network or have seen the behind goal footage on AFL 360 you haven’t seen anything because the entire contest is not captured in the one frame in any channel 7 or afl.com clip. So basically this proves you are talking sh*t

Unless you work for the tv network or have seen the behind goal footage on AFL 360 you haven’t seen anything because the entire contest is not captured in the one frame in any channel 7 or afl.com clip. So basically this proves you are talking sh*t

I haven’t seen the behind the goal footage. I have seen the entire contest on fox sports site. I took the screen grab above from the footage.

Happy to watch the footage if you can supply it but it is clear to me he seeks to engage Rioli first before trying to defend sheed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back