Game Day 2018 Grand Final discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless you work for the tv network or have seen the behind goal footage on AFL 360 you haven’t seen anything because the entire contest is not captured in the one frame in any channel 7 or afl.com clip. So basically this proves you are talking sh*t

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You were given a free ride all day by the umpires, should never have been close.

The flight of the ball was behind sheed and Rioli cut off Maynard at the pass. Watch the behind the goal vision on AFL360. And then Sheed plays on to add further comic relief.

But Before that Adams had a ping with a quick right banana but if he had a left snap it was game over. The behind goals footage showed Treloar could have lowered Vision to hit Cox albeit on the left peg and a few Pies players were jogging back almost spectating. Also De Goey didn’t go with McGovern in that contest. Eagles were plus 18 inside 50s and deserved to win, I can accept that.

Moral of story, you can play someone with an injury cloud especially if your name is Jeremy McGovern

15 more inside 50's and 5 more scoring shots suggest you were lucky to get as close as you did.

In reality, your mob only controlled parts of the game namely the first 15 mins of the first quarter and the first 5 mins of the last quarter and didn't deserve the win

Are you suggesting that Maynard was merely going for the ball and had no interest in body contact with Rioli?

I posted stills of the key trigger umpires are told to look for when making a decision, I’m sure you are bright enough to read it in pictures.

The same trigger that penalised Varcoe earlier in the game which was a little comical because he was in the marking contest and standing his ground to give himself the opportunity to contest the mark. But the take eye off footy trigger is nearly automatic these days. Unless its 2 mins to go and the WA umpire Rosebury has a say in it Dom Sheed can even play on and change his mind.

You can look at all free kicks in isolation but in context there was a consistent theme of free kicks for blocking until that moment.

Fruitless argument given the outcome will never change but your kidding yourself if you think that was legal.

I posted stills of the key trigger umpires are told to look for when making a decision, I’m sure you are bright enough to read it in pictures.

The same trigger that penalised Varcoe earlier in the game which was a little comical because he was in the marking contest and standing his ground to give himself the opportunity to contest the mark. But the take eye off footy trigger is nearly automatic these days. Unless its 2 mins to go and the WA umpire Rosebury has a say in it Dom Sheed can even play on and change his mind.

You can look at all free kicks in isolation but in context there was a consistent theme of free kicks for blocking until that moment.

Fruitless argument given the outcome will never change but your kidding yourself if you think that was legal.

Actually agree. Varcoe was done for blocking in almost the same spot, whilst Being in the direct drop zone of the ball. Gutless umpiring to not pay it against Rioli for the same thing.

Best advice is to try and get over it. Nothing will change except you becoming more and more bitter.

Collingwood lost, they were lucky to be even close. What are you complaining about. The pies were kissed on the dick the entire game and you are worried about one free kick. The rest of the frees, (howe dragging it in anyone?) went in collingwood's favour despite the obvious frees not being paid to west coast, and the actual frees being paid to collingwood that weren't there. remember we are neutral in this, and STILL think west coast were hard done by. Because they were.

Rewatch the game and count the number of blatant throws collingwood got away with.

You were given a free ride all day by the umpires, should never have been close.

According to an “Anyone But Collingwood” supporter, hardly a neutral & objective point of view.

Grundy 1 FF, 4 FA, winning hit outs 49 to 14 & 15. Grundy must be undisciplined. Take a look at the centre bounce free to Lycett after JDG puts pies 12 up. Vardy marks and goals from that clearance and it’s a 6 point game. That was a bigger moment than the Maynard block because it killed the pies 1-2 punch to start the last and it was back to game on. Momentum killers are huge in the modern game.

Look, I’m new to big footy, I saw the thread in my feed only later noted it was a hawthorn page, apologies. Good luck in trade period.

According to an “Anyone But Collingwood” supporter, hardly a neutral & objective point of view.

Grundy 1 FF, 4 FA, winning hit outs 49 to 14 & 15. Grundy must be undisciplined. Take a look at the centre bounce free to Lycett after JDG puts pies 12 up. Vardy marks and goals from that clearance and it’s a 6 point game. That was a bigger moment than the Maynard block because it killed the pies 1-2 punch to start the last and it was back to game on. Momentum killers are huge in the modern game.

Look, I’m new to big footy, I saw the thread in my feed only later noted it was a hawthorn page, apologies. Good luck in trade period.

We've all done it :)

President Clinton once said:
"No, thank you, Lisa, for teaching kids everywhere a valuable lesson: if things don't go your way, just keep complaining until your dreams come true".

Mind you, President Clinton never lost an AFL Grand Final.

;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a painful way to lose a GF, personally I am just over the moon that those weak pricks have to virtually die in pain every time they think football for the foreseeable future.

The best part is this:

There were numerous other decisions which affected the game including the whack to the ribs by Ryan of WCE on Maynard which was missed by the umpire standing 3 metres from the incident. Maynard should have received a free kick with a subsequent report for striking being given to Ryan.

Hannebery would have had a dozen free kicks in '14

I am not an "anyone but collingwood supporter" actually. I started out supporting collingwood (see the main board game day thread) but durung the course of the afternoon I was getting so sick of the utter bias towards collingwood that by midway through the third I had switched allegiance to the other team. Tough to be much more neutral than that.

I see after the NRL Grand Final, NRL Chairman Peter Beattie claimed NRL is the most watched sport in Australia. Sorry, but I find that very difficult to believe.

I didn't watch the speech but I dare say he was talking about TV ratings which according to this article earlier in the year has the NRL on track to surpass the AFL in TV viewership:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-on-course-for-tv-ratings-victory-over-afl-20180527-p4zhsd.html

Interesting little bit from it:

the most viewed AFL Club is the Hawthorn Hawks with an average free to air audience of 558,234.

Quite surprised by that actually. Would of thought one of the "big four" would be up there.

The best part is this:

There were numerous other decisions which affected the game including the whack to the ribs by Ryan of WCE on Maynard which was missed by the umpire standing 3 metres from the incident. Maynard should have received a free kick with a subsequent report for striking being given to Ryan.

Hannebery would have had a dozen free kicks in '14

Reversal is ridiculous, heard about the petition to replay the game, it’s absurd and embarrassing. Ryan hit on Maynard was legal because it was the split second Maynard appeared to be in ‘possession’ just like Roughead on Hannebery. It’s funny that in a marking contest it’s a free kick and would start an all in brawl but general play it’s fair game.

I wonder if the law makers will take that one away from our great game on basis that they protect legs from being broken but punctured lungs and broken ribs is okay? The problem is if you try make a rule for it, the umpiring interpretation will evolve into something else and players will start trying to exploit it.

Cast your mind back to the 1991 GF. West Coast blitzed the Hawks early in the 1st term, had 4 goals on the board before we had time to settle. I've never seen Langers so flustered. A couple of late goals into the breeze saw us back to within 9 points at 1/4 time. They way the Hawks regrouped after that initial onslaught was a credit to the character of the team.

I agree with McGovern, easily the best defender in the AFL. Doesn't have to hold and scrag a la Silvagni, he just out marks his opponents.

A couple of nice clearances from the centre from Andy Gowers coming in off the wing helped get the ball rolling our way.

What about the HTB in the goal square?

If you need a free kick to win it you have not done enough to deserve it. Simples

IMO WCE were the best side on the day. The Pies did some great counterpunching but it was not sustainable. IMO the Pies are lucky this was at the G. No way would WCE have cacked themselves early if it was played in WA. WCE by 8 goals over there in the GF. Thats how much better they were in reality. The MCG was the leveler.

I don’t disagree with everything you are saying but the problem for Maynard is he runs pretty much straight at Rioli and does nothing regarding sheed until the last second when it is already too late. If you look at the vision you will see Pendlebury trotting along 20m from sheed guarding no one. There is anothe pie defender standing in space guarding no one. The real issue is Collingwood got caught out in transition. I might be mistaken but the standard footage shows Pendlebury standing next to a west coast player as the ball is kicked to the wing from Collingwoods half back line. Eventually the ball goes to McGovern. When Vardy marks, Pendlebury is on his own and the west coast player is no where to be seen. Barry marks and plays on quickly. Pendlebury pushes back hard but it’s too late. Fast ball movement allowed sheed to be unopposed inside fifty.
97A4BBAF-07C8-4662-828F-93BF9877B0C6.jpeg

Edit: on further review Rioli does take a few steps towards the fall of the ball (not Maynard although he knows where he is going). Maynard doesn’t seem aware of sheed at all but is aware of Rioli. And that is what kills him. It simply looks like he goes to Rioli and throws his arms out late.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back