Game Day 2018 Grand Final - Eagles v Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will finally have to pay out on a $200 bet I made years ago, I honestly don't know how long but it must be 7 or 8 years at least, I made a $100 bet with my eagle supporting dad - next club to win a premiership, nice and simple. Both clubs were pretty shite at the time so it seemed a safe enough bet.

When I told one of my mates who is also an Eagles fan he laughed and said he'll have a bit of that action. The bets have been riding every since.

Happy to pay em out but I wonder if they'll go same again ;).

The kick was never on anyways.
If you look at the vision, Yeo cuts it or spoils it regardless
Watched it in hd slo mo tonight several times

The pies player was out of position too much - yeo takes that mark regardless - yeo is bullshit good overhead.

Someone needs to tell that poor kid he didnt cost his club a gf

I guess I should say a congrats to all the Freagles lurking in here. But only the nice ones that contribute on here without making me angry.

Occasionally you have to remind urself there are fair & decent Eagles supporters out there and I am happy for them. The rest who are cocky, smug & self -righteous and who carry themselves with a sense of arrogance because of the team they support. Well.... they can GAGF!

Thank goodness the season is over.

Gee what a game. Fantastic way to spend a Saturday.

Anyone got vision to the runner incident? I think I was too intoxicated to notice it.

How lame must your life be to be on an opposition board late at night after your club wins a premiership? Stay in school kids.
How much would it suck to be banned from the entire site the day after said premiership too because you trolled that opposition board. Feels good.

Cracker of a game, albeit wanting the pies to get it done. Was at a bar in Singapore and way too many weagles supporters around for my liking. But they weren’t too bad, so good on them

Gives me a bit of hope that we can turn this around quickly

WCE bottom 6 were plodders / first year players, but just played their roles well - surely we can replicate the same

And if we can’t because of the coach or whatever reason, let’s make the *** changes already!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gives me a bit of hope that we can turn this around quickly

WCE bottom 6 were plodders / first year players, but just played their roles well - surely we can replicate the same

And if we can’t because of the coach or whatever reason, let’s make the *** changes already!

I think that is my takeaway from this year as well. It wasn't a particularly high quality grand final, or one of the alltime classics, but memorable because it was relatively close for most of the game and decided by under a goal (very reminiscent of 2005 in that way).

Any one of the top eight teams could have won it this year, it was that sort of season. West Coast did admirably to fight through the absences of important players, hold the structure and belief they could win from anywhere and keep on persisting; but it equally cannot be denied that they were born with a lucky horseshoe up their backside, in that everything they couldn't control that could possibly have gone their way this year, did.

Which brings me to Fremantle. Things are fluid in the AFL at the moment, and teams can rise quickly and unexpectedly, but it just seems we were so far away from even challenging for this modest top eight. Two things seem telling for me - the unexpected wins against the Adelaide teams above us that we were able to snaffle derived almost entirely from a revival of Ross' old defensive choke from the glory days and not anything new; and a real lack of spirit and passion amongst this playing group. Only once did we genuinely stop trying, but too often we just folded up the tent, both onfield and in the coaches box.

If we can have an honest and thorough assessment of our deficiencies (which for me would be the lack of a distinctive gameplan, a totally incohesive forward line and the strength and conditioning department) and put in place new solutions to try and correct these, I think we'll make an upward leap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that is my takeaway from this year as well. It wasn't a particularly high quality grand final, or one of the alltime classics, but memorable because it was relatively close for most of the game and decided by under a goal (very reminiscent of 2005 in that way).

Any one of the top eight teams could have won it this year, it was that sort of season. West Coast did admirably to fight through the absences of important players, hold the structure and belief they could win from anywhere and keep on persisting; but it equally cannot be denied that they were born with a lucky horseshoe up their backside, in that everything they couldn't control that could possibly have gone their way this year, did.

Which brings me to Fremantle. Things are fluid in the AFL at the moment, and teams can rise quickly and unexpectedly, but it just seems we were so far away from even challenging for this modest top eight. Two things seem telling for me - the unexpected wins against the Adelaide teams above us that we were able to snaffle derived almost entirely from a revival of Ross' old defensive choke from the glory days and not anything new; and a real lack of spirit and passion amongst this playing group. Only once did we genuinely stop trying, but too often we just folded up the tent, both onfield and in the coaches box.

If we can have an honest and thorough assessment of our deficiencies (which for me would be the lack of a distinctive gameplan, a totally incohesive forward line and the strength and conditioning department) and put in place new solutions to try and correct these, I think we'll make an upward leap.

Great post:thumbsu:

I’m actually not as unhappy or upset that WC won as what I thought I’d be... in actually a little bit happy for my WC supporting mates.

There were things along the way this year that derailed our season too, Rossgate was far from ideal and the guilty verdict by speculation with the media was something hard to ignore. I feel there maybe something else quite deep seeded that may need exorcising somehow, and it’s been there a long time.

I thought it was a fantastic game to watch. Pies were utterly desperate and had played some brilliant footy in previous weeks. The way they took Richmond apart was breathtaking.
For the Eagles to absorb all that and then come back harder and faster was incredible. Unreserved respect from me.
In some ways it reminded me of 2013, we comprehensively dismantled Sydney had everyone saying we would win it but the rock paper scissors factor of Hawthorns gameplay being kryptonite to us was too much on the day.
Same for Collingwood who failed in all 3 attempts against WC this year.

Give credit where credit is due, watched one of the better GF's of late yesterday, went in hoping the Pies would do it, but by the half way mark of the last qtr realised whomever got to the finish line deserved it, even if it was our cross town rivals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back