Game Day 2018 Grand Final - Eagles v Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will finally have to pay out on a $200 bet I made years ago, I honestly don't know how long but it must be 7 or 8 years at least, I made a $100 bet with my eagle supporting dad - next club to win a premiership, nice and simple. Both clubs were pretty shite at the time so it seemed a safe enough bet.

When I told one of my mates who is also an Eagles fan he laughed and said he'll have a bit of that action. The bets have been riding every since.

Happy to pay em out but I wonder if they'll go same again ;).
Don't mate. Unless you don't like money.

It was a great game. Shame about the result. To do it without NicNat, Gaff and Sheppard was unfortunately quite impressive.

All three of their first round draft picks from 2008-2010, all key to their last rebuild, which happened around the same time as ours.

Shows a resilience and depth in their list we’ve never had, and a flexibility in their coaching.

Mayne was unreal. Lead collingwoods tackles with 14. Hes not a star player but a decent player in a star team
He does the defensive forward role very well. He's suited the pies this year because he doesn't kick goals himself, but gets the defenders out of the way to let the midfielders flood in and score.

He does the defensive forward role very well. He's suited the pies this year because he doesn't kick goals himself, but gets the defenders out of the way to let the midfielders flood in and score.

Seemed Bucks worked out how to use him as the season went on. Mayne's strength in this final series was as a genuine utility player, sort of jack of all trades .... . However, he played hardly any of the game forward. In the GF he was used as a kind of defensive mid/HBF. Like the opposite of the 'high half fwd' that has become popular and he was great at it. He roamed behind Pies fwd 50 and then dropped deep in defence when needed and was great at disrupting Eagles fwd thrusts and providing solid support for contested play back of centre.

Great game from him, like many, was sorry he had to go through that losing feeling again.

I've surprised myself. I'm no where near as annoyed, bitter or pissed off at the result.

They do deserve it and somehow they've become a gutsy team to comeback and win that (like with a lot of their other games this year). Collingwood managed to turn it around this season too.

All I feel is hope. I hope one day we can get our s**t together and finally win our first premiership.

I've surprised myself. I'm no where near as annoyed, bitter or pissed off at the result.

They do deserve it and somehow they've become a gutsy team to comeback and win that (like with a lot of their other games this year). Collingwood managed to turn it around this season too.

All I feel is hope. I hope one day we can get our s**t together and finally win our first premiership.

Give it a couple of weeks our trials have only just begun

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'll tell you another thing. I went a bit Freagle after the game when Richardson (I think, can't fully remember) brought the whole MCG should be the place to play the Grand Final for the next 5 million years controversy to Hurn's attention post game. What a load of crock. I wish Hurn had have told him to shove it where the sun don't shine, and that this premiership is a big **** you to all A(V)FL dicks who still don't get it. Certainly got some joy from WC beating the Pies on that front at least.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another thing that was noticeable is the there’s only one game style in the grand final and the team that wins is the one that wins the contested possession, disposes the ball better and hunt their opponent when they don’t have the ball. 1% era can shift the momentum your way and turn the game. Sounds simple because it is. Sometimes I think coaches over complicate things.

Win the ball. Use it efficiently. Chase your man when you don’t have the ball.

Another thing that was noticeable is the there’s only one game style in the grand final and the team that wins is the one that wins the contested possession, disposes the ball better and hunt their opponent when they don’t have the ball. 1% era can shift the momentum your way and turn the game. Sounds simple because it is. Sometimes I think coaches over complicate things.

Win the ball. Use it efficiently. Chase your man when you don’t have the ball.

WC won less contested ball than Pies, pretty much even in the stoppages from memory but had a shitload more inside 50’s.

They identified their weaknesses following 2015 and fixed them.

We on the other hand continued to do the same thing for two years and then when it stopped working, went on a full blown demolition and rebuild.
They identified they didn't have enough skill sessions and added an extra when Simpson first arrived. They only had to build on this after 2015.

I don't think Freo would miss a weights session.

They also identified they needed an expert midfielder to support / teach / lead the midfield for Simpson's game plan. Come on down Mitchell!

Not sure anything will help ours.

You bet.

The comments about the 'luck', and 'umpires', and whatever other junk discrediting the Eagles win proves that it is not I who has the little brother complex.

They did have quite a bit of luck though, but you always need some to win the flag and it doesn't make them undeserving premiers.

Mind blown?

I'd like to say something about Fyfe but I don't want to get banned... Again... All I'll say is Go Eagles!

Why care so much about Freo the day after you win the flag though? I'd still be in a drunken stupor, scoring points on a forum would be the last thing on my mind lmao

They did have quite a bit of luck though, but you always need some to win the flag and it doesn't make them undeserving premiers.

Mind blown?
Losing your three first round draft picks from 2008-2010 is bad luck though. Naitanui, Gaff and Sheppard being out would have been like us going into 2013 without Sandilands, Hill and Duffield.

Losing your three first round draft picks from 2008-2010 is bad luck though. Naitanui, Gaff and Sheppard being out would have been like us going into 2013 without Sandilands, Hill and Duffield.

The games NN did play this year he was a shadow of his former self so clearly that didn't really impact them negatively at all. Comparing him to Sandilands that year is silly, as is your deliberate oversight of the quality of backups. Lycett and Vardy s**t all over Clarke and whoever else we had back then. The days of WC being so reliant on NN are well over.

Sheppard is comparable to Ibbo who didn't play in 2013. Gaff I'll give you, they did well to compensate for his loss, however saying it was a matter of "luck" considering the circumstances of his absence is rather grotesque. I know you're in full self-pity mode but there's no need to be so disingenuous about it.

Mostly I'm talking about luck on the day though so this is all moot. Again, they deserved it. I was just trying to show raffrox that believing they had luck while also believing they earned their flag are trains of thought that can co-exist.

Why do they continually have good luck whereas we have bad luck?

There's that old proverb "you make your own luck" which I think has some validity to it. Run your team competently enough for long enough and it will manifest itself in various good ways. The opposite is probably true too, in regards to us.

Well pav and sandi only played 12 and 10 games respectively in 2013 and we made the grand final that year.

So our depth was strong to cover them for half a season

Depth is so important in finals time how your bottom 6 perform is just as important as your top 6 players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back