Preview 2018 Grand Final Premiership Posters by Mark Knight (NOW RELEASED!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Eagles one pretty quality, I'm fairly certain hes running with the Darling chest. Pies one is bog average, needed to have it holding the ball one winged with the Cox swagger.

"Premiers 2018" feels unnecessarily duplicated on the Cup, and they are both too similar compared to previous examples. That said, glad it's not personified, don't like those ones identifiable with a particular player or two. Thank god we were spared the beards, or an eagle nest of babies.

This was also our first year with the new jumper/logo, so astute to include. Very different to the 3 premier posters we have as well, which is good. Still, there's only one WEG.

Released at some point today, will update OP with pictures once released.

Expectations? Im not holding my breath, guy ran out of ideas for drawing birds very early on.....

Released from 6pm in this link... https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/h...t/news-story/a7be98d6509bf918ff40ea419c68171e

5688c40f1828bb8a3777add74d8a71c0

The Eagle one looks angry (even though it has the cup) and the Magpie one looks like it's surprised. Does not have a reference to the 4th premiership either.

I would of thought making them look happy or proud would of been the go?

Weg was a great graphic artist ...

William Ellis Green was born in a different era, became a symbol of his community, was largely self taught but had oodles of talent.

Also had classy taste in cars - drove an Alfa Romeo Montreal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many ways to cartoon a bird are there?

I think the Herald-Sun are trying to create another WEG, but they have gone with the wrong artist is Mark Knight. There is just not enough variation in his work, and it doesn't have that distinctive look and feel that WEG had. WEG's premier posters looked like they were created in the moments after the premier was confirmed. But now the H-S are ten years in with him... do they cut him off and start again, or persist hoping it improves (for all I know they are happy with his work)?

Last edited:
Is there a need to release posters for both grand finalists? It's a waste of a design for the runner up.

They should just release the winning poster after the game and the losing design is kept up his sleeve.

Personally I prefer some of his designs over the WEG posters because of the extra detail. However his consistency isn't the same as WEG. The Eagle in this poster looks completely different to 2015. I'd prefer a similar look but just change the pose or angle of his drawing to differentiate.

William Ellis Green was born in a different era, became a symbol of his community, was largely self taught but had oodles of talent.

Also had classy taste in cars - drove an Alfa Romeo Montreal.
Before he died he did a back catalogue so they can release a new weg after each grand final, store is in Bayswater run by his son in law or can be purchased from the website.
http://www.wegart.com.au/

Should be Australia’s own Wedge Tailed Eagle for the West Coast mascot,it’s a bigger and better looking bird than the Bald Eagle.

Only the South American condor is bigger.

Love for our Aussie bird.

"Premiers 2018" feels unnecessarily duplicated on the Cup, and they are both too similar compared to previous examples. That said, glad it's not personified, don't like those ones identifiable with a particular player or two. Thank god we were spared the beards, or an eagle nest of babies.

This was also our first year with the new jumper/logo, so astute to include. Very different to the 3 premier posters we have as well, which is good. Still, there's only one WEG.

Every herald sun premiership poster is a repeat of the previous ones from that team. They are for the people who love familiarity

Remove this Banner Ad

Back