2018 Grand Finalists - West Coast vs Collingwood ##Optus Stadium Friday 12th July## Round 17, 2019 ( Edited page 15 current discussion )

Who wins the rematch of the 2018 Grand Final between the Black and White Army and the Eagles

• Collingwood - They'll be too hungry with an added chip on their shoulder - Blowout Victory

Votes: 33 17.1%
  • West Coast - Dom Sheed will have a blinder and break their hearts at the death again

Votes: 53 27.5%
  • Pies in a close one

Votes: 69 35.8%
  • Eagles to roll at the G winning comprehensively

Votes: 38 19.7%

• Total voters

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Maybe we can play the next game on paper because you're not a better team on the MCG or Perth Stadium.

Yeah there's been a fair bit of hype been swallowed by some pies fans. Last night showed what a brilliant win the Grand final was with gaff and Shepherd proving their worth. Winning a premiership without 3 of your best 10 players is some achievement.

I look at the West coast team and see class on every line and great balance with no obvious weaknesses in structure (maybe ruck without NicNat). I look at Collingwood and there are question marks everywhere. Can their gun midfielders run both ways? Can you win a premiership with a lack of quality big forwards? Can a good ordinary player (Roughead) and a talented but unproven youngster (Moore) cover the key defensive posts? There's quality there but big questions to answer too.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
If you look at my initial post or in the game day thread, you’ll see I tipped WC.
Dont think ive ever seen a game where so many tipped against their own team as this one.

I tipped pies by thirty - was convinced we werent a chance

But all the pies fans were the opposite.

Strange.

I still think if your mids click it will be too much for us.

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Dont think ive ever seen a game where so many tipped against their own team as this one.

Strange.

It depends I think they are still too reliant on De Goey to kick the goals. When he was up and about Collingwood looked super dangerous but once the clamps were put on him who else was going to kick a bag?

Darling was well held last night but up pops Cripps and Ryan with Rioli to come back. They really didn't have answers to these players since their best defenders were on Kennedy and Darling.

SpongePie

Premium Platinum
Feb 14, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
It depends I think they are still too reliant on De Goey to kick the goals. When he was up and about Collingwood looked super dangerous but once the clamps were put on him who else was going to kick a bag?

Darling was well held last night but up pops Cripps and Ryan with Rioli to come back. They really didn't have answers to these players since their best defenders were on Kennedy and Darling.

I think you are somewhat right about De Goey. I think though, the clamps were put on our mid field which limited him getting the ball in dangerous positions. Your midfield was fantastic last night.

zhoung

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2009
vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lol

I firmly believe why west coast beat pies

Our big backline is better than pies
Our forwards are better too

The midfields are very evenly matched but west coast bookends are much better

Degoey is 6ft ....he cant lead up the ground like Kennedy or darling does

Same height as Darling tool

zhoung

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2009
vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wikipedia says Darling is an inch taller but also 5kg heavier. But it could also just be the way they play; Darking is good above his head De Goey particularly good at ground level.

He’s 191cm not 6 foot by any means, won’t be long and Damien Oliver will be taller

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
I think you are somewhat right about De Goey. I think though, the clamps were put on our mid field which limited him getting the ball in dangerous positions. Your midfield was fantastic last night.

It’s been fantastic for a year ...it just doesn’t get the plaudits

More short sighted than Stevie Wonder.

I wonder what you gain from your constant flip-flopping. When we next have a heavy loss I bet you will post a new thread writing us off as premiership threats.
Finally I'm not the only one calling out his blatant bandwagonism. Made a thread on our board that I wish we'd close calling us locks for the flag pre-JLT.

1554636556111.png

Strange.

Never saw us outright smashing Eagles leading up through the week. If we won, it'd have to be close (and it almost could've been), but I was certain the margin against Richmond was flattering considering our messy work in the first half. Clean up more of our possessions and forward-50 entries last night and I'm confident that would've been enough to get over the line.

Once we get both our seasons truly under way it will be nice to play again to see where the Eagles/Pies proto-rivalry stands :)

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
Never saw us outright smashing Eagles leading up through the week. If we won, it'd have to be close (and it almost could've been), but I was certain the margin against Richmond was flattering considering our messy work in the first half. Clean up more of our possessions and forward-50 entries last night and I'm confident that would've been enough to get over the line.

Once we get both our seasons truly under way it will be nice to play again to see where the Eagles/Pies proto-rivalry stands :)

How will you stop our forward line with a defense that’s not tall

How will you stop gaff Shuey sheed yeo

For a year we’ve been reading how no one can stop Pies midfield...the question is now how will Pies beat west coast considering you’ve lost last 4 times ....3 of them on the MCG

I love the rivalry being created ....good game and best of luck for season

How will you stop our forward line with a defense that’s not tall

How will you stop gaff Shuey sheed yeo

For a year we’ve been reading how no one can stop Pies midfield...the question is now how will Pies beat west coast considering you’ve lost last 4 times ....3 of them on the MCG

I love the rivalry being created ....good game and best of luck for season
I don't know mate, I'm not part of the coaching team :p
Though I will say it's quite frustrating for Grundy to get all these hit outs for no benefit whatsoever. Really need to work on those centre clearances as Pendles/Adams/Treloar/Beams and Grundy (any combination really) certainly have the potential to end a game right from the centre (is it chemistry? or just lack of effort? Not even sure myself yet).

Though it was great to run in to these issues within the first 3 rounds of the season as opposed to shitting the bed round 23. Still a long season to figure this out like with Richmond.

Well played and best of luck too, though Coasters probably won't need it ;)

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't know mate, I'm not part of the coaching team :p
Though I will say it's quite frustrating for Grundy to get all these hit outs for no benefit whatsoever. Really need to work on those centre clearances as Pendles/Adams/Treloar/Beams and Grundy (any combination really) certainly have the potential to end a game right from the centre (is it chemistry? or just lack of effort? Not even sure myself yet).

Though it was great to run in to these issues within the first 3 rounds of the season as opposed to shitting the bed round 23. Still a long season to figure this out like with Richmond.

Well played and best of luck too, though Coasters probably won't need it ;)

It was same two years ago when NicNat winning 40 hit outs a game but not winning clearance

Chemistry is important agree 100% ....it’s how west coast works as a unit

Is it really a rivalry if it's just one side winning? :cool:

nah jk you guys are alright, vast majority of Pies supporters here were humble and good-natured before, during and after the Grand Final. Also helps that the players are likable and play good attacking football.

If we don't make it back to back this year I don't mind if your lot salutes.

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
credit to West Coast for winning, particularly an away game. But personally not taking too much out of this.

One thing that does spook me about this is the fact that West Coast are becoming our Bogey team. Bit scared The Pies are going into a situation like that of Geelong/Hawthorn not so long ago, before the Hawks won all those flags... where Hawthorn could beat anyone but Geelong. Just had some strange wood over them. The Pies need to get a win over West Coast at some point to get the idea out of their heads that we will never beat West Coast again or it could be a long few years.

End of the day.. Hoping this was a hiccup.. because we certainly were not at our best. I mean West Coast did lose to Gold Coast 2 weeks ago... teams can be asleep at this time of year and not switched on.

Adams first game, Elliot only 3 games in after 2 years. Darcy Moore hardly played last year either. And I think WHE is a pretty big out for us. We also have Scharenberg to shore up our defence soon and Wells, if he can still run can come back in too. So maybe next time we meet, we'll be a more rounded team.

Also.. I don't know if Sheed got beat up by Collingwood supporters as a kid.. but he seriously turns it on against us. Like he has some vendetta to save his GOTY for Collingwood.

Figure09

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
credit to West Coast for winning, particularly an away game. But personally not taking too much out of this.

One thing that does spook me about this is the fact that West Coast are becoming our Bogey team. Bit scared The Pies are going into a situation like that of Geelong/Hawthorn not so long ago, before the Hawks won all those flags... where Hawthorn could beat anyone but Geelong. Just had some strange wood over them. The Pies need to get a win over West Coast at some point to get the idea out of their heads that we will never beat West Coast again or it could be a long few years.

End of the day.. Hoping this was a hiccup.. because we certainly were not at our best. I mean West Coast did lose to Gold Coast 2 weeks ago... teams can be asleep at this time of year and not switched on.

Adams first game, Elliot only 3 games in after 2 years. Darcy Moore hardly played last year either. And I think WHE is a pretty big out for us. We also have Scharenberg to shore up our defence soon and Wells, if he can still run can come back in too. So maybe next time we meet, we'll be a more rounded team.

Also.. I don't know if Sheed got beat up by Collingwood supporters as a kid.. but he seriously turns it on against us. Like he has some vendetta to save his GOTY for Collingwood.
I don't recall west coast losing to gold coast 2 weeks ago

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We lost to Brisbane two weeks ago and although early days Brisbane have shown that they are no longer the easy beats of the competition.

Sheed has improved a huge amount since the start of Gaff's suspension and last night demonstrated he can co-exist with Gaff and still be in good form. He's just coming into his prime, that's all really. Expect him to have more good games than bad now that he's found his groove.

Back