2018 Grand Finalists - West Coast vs Collingwood ##Optus Stadium Friday 12th July## Round 17, 2019 ( Edited page 15 current discussion )

Who wins the rematch of the 2018 Grand Final between the Black and White Army and the Eagles

• Collingwood - They'll be too hungry with an added chip on their shoulder - Blowout Victory

Votes: 33 17.1%
  • West Coast - Dom Sheed will have a blinder and break their hearts at the death again

Votes: 53 27.5%
  • Pies in a close one

Votes: 69 35.8%
  • Eagles to roll at the G winning comprehensively

Votes: 38 19.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Y
credit to West Coast for winning, particularly an away game. But personally not taking too much out of this.

One thing that does spook me about this is the fact that West Coast are becoming our Bogey team. Bit scared The Pies are going into a situation like that of Geelong/Hawthorn not so long ago, before the Hawks won all those flags... where Hawthorn could beat anyone but Geelong. Just had some strange wood over them. The Pies need to get a win over West Coast at some point to get the idea out of their heads that we will never beat West Coast again or it could be a long few years.

End of the day.. Hoping this was a hiccup.. because we certainly were not at our best. I mean West Coast did lose to Gold Coast 2 weeks ago... teams can be asleep at this time of year and not switched on.

Adams first game, Elliot only 3 games in after 2 years. Darcy Moore hardly played last year either. And I think WHE is a pretty big out for us. We also have Scharenberg to shore up our defence soon and Wells, if he can still run can come back in too. So maybe next time we meet, we'll be a more rounded team.

Also.. I don't know if Sheed got beat up by Collingwood supporters as a kid.. but he seriously turns it on against us. Like he has some vendetta to save his GOTY for Collingwood.
You obviously don’t watch any other games apart from collingwood ones if you think WC were beaten by Gold Coast 2 weeks ago...

Is it really a rivalry if it's just one side winning? :cool:
Haha that may be the case for now, you know what I mean ;)
I guess there's already been a bit of a rivalry dating back to the 1990 drawn QF, 2007 Semi, 2012 Semi (went to that one myself, cracking game).

Pies beat Eagles at least once this year (hopefully when it matters?) and I can see us trading blows for years.

For mine

The biggest thing west coast has changed in the last two years is building a replica MCG ground in Optus stadium.

I dont care what anyone says playing on a ground with similar dimensions to the mcg has seen us suddenly play the mcg really well

I think we have won our last 5 games there ....undefeated at the mcg since Optus stadium was built

The way we change directions ...and running patterns converts well to the mcg

Sure we have a bloody lot of talent ...underrated talent simply because we are not an eastern states side

It’s intersting though I do think the mcg clubs should play Optus well ...and pies pushed west coast close in the finals ...and Melbourne-Essendon won games there last year too

With time the MCG clubs will play Optus well .....The crowd noise is intimidating though

I have been to mcg games were 95,000 were in the house .....posits with 60 k louder .....it’s unbelievable

For mine

The biggest thing west coast has changed in the last two years is building a replica MCG ground in Optus stadium.

I dont care what anyone says playing on a ground with similar dimensions to the mcg has seen us suddenly play the mcg really well

I think we have won our last 5 games there ....undefeated at the mcg since Optus stadium was built

The way we change directions ...and running patterns converts well to the mcg

Sure we have a bloody lot of talent ...underrated talent simply because we are not an eastern states side

It’s intersting though I do think the mcg clubs should play Optus well ...and pies pushed west coast close in the finals ...and Melbourne-Essendon won games there last year too

With time the MCG clubs will play Optus well .....The crowd noise is intimidating though

I have been to mcg games were 95,000 were in the house .....posits with 60 k louder .....it’s unbelievable
Interesting post. I like it. A few things however I'll elaborate on.

Since Optus came into the equation last year you have played the MCG 4 times, 3 against Collingwood. The first was a narrow 10 point win against lowly Carlton. Then have played the Magpies the last 3 times after that, obviously one was the Grand Final which was also a narrow win. I'd like to see a bigger sample size. The losses against Essendon I feel you were just flat combined with the absentees of JK, Kennedy and Les Cras I think it was. Maybe even Rioli? The Bombers did find some good form. The Melbourne game was a goody but JK didn't play and Darling also went off injured. The umpiring was shambolic at best that day, Maybe not on the free kick count, but some big decisions/non decisions that also led to some two goal turn arounds. They were good sides nonetheless or ran into some form. Richmond got belted and they were the best performing side at the G of the lot.

Collingwood pushed you in the Prelim but obviously finished runners up, by the slightest of margins. Anyway I believe there is truth to what you say and you make very good points, but it doesn't tell the true tale. West Coast obviously, are just a damn good side with an array of potent weapons.

Since Optus came into the equation last year you have played the MCG 4 times, 3 against Collingwood. The first was a narrow 10 point win against lowly Carlton. Then have played the Magpies the last 3 times after that, obviously one was the Grand Final which was also a narrow win. I'd like to see a bigger sample size. The losses against Essendon I feel you were just flat combined with the absentees of JK, Kennedy and Les Cras I think it was. Maybe even Rioli? The Bombers did find some good form. The Melbourne game was a goody but JK didn't play and Darling also went off injured. The umpiring was shambolic at best that day, Maybe not on the free kick count, but some big decisions/non decisions that also led to some two goal turn arounds. They were good sides nonetheless or ran into some form. Richmond got belted and they were the best performing side at the G of the lot.

Collingwood pushed you in the Prelim but obviously finished runners up, by the slightest of margins. Anyway I believe there is truth to what you say and you make very good points, but it doesn't tell the true tale. West Coast obviously, are just a damn good side with an array of potent weapons.

Good reply...love the way we switch the ball now and get darling, Kennedy and Allen one out a lot

Switching on Subiaco was really hard because turnovers occurred

I also think the noise at Optus is off the charts ...agree we have depth and dam good footy side and one thing that’s pleasing for non eagles fans is way play attractive footy to watch

Well before Optus we have not beaten Collingwood at the MCG for something like 20 years. So wins (even close ones) are an improvement.

But its a very WC solution. AFL won't give us enough games/time on the MCG to get used to it so we built our own MCG to play on.

Well before Optus we have not beaten Collingwood at the MCG for something like 20 years. So wins (even close ones) are an improvement.

But its a very WC solution. AFL won't give us enough games/time on the MCG to get used to it so we built our own MCG to play on.
Yes not exactly lacking a dollar.

How long before eagles have own private jet?

Yes not exactly lacking a dollar.

How long before eagles have own private jet?

Freo and West Coast asked years ago for approval from the AFL to buy a jet they'd share for interstate games. Approval denied. Then they picked the Western Bulldogs to 'trial' a charter flight to Perth.

Honestly the league is run by muppets.

Was it denied because of the Virgin sponsorship?

I assume so, but then they had no problem trialling it with another club. I believe the lack of flight options to Perth that Virgin had compared to Qantas was what prompted the request, I know both sides were unhappy with the change in sponsor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo and West Coast asked years ago for approval from the AFL to buy a jet they'd share for interstate games. Approval denied. Then they picked the Western Bulldogs to 'trial' a charter flight to Perth.

Honestly the league is run by muppets.

I don't think it was denied, I just think it lacked any AFL financial support

I believe the clubs asked for the equivalent cost as compared to commercial as a subsidy - but that was denied

I still believe that a 100 seat jet - with 30-40 "Fly with the players" packages - could be made to work, however contradicting that - Nisbett is a savvy financial operator - so i daresay the numbers don't stack up.

Collingwood Easy. They will have fire in them.

West Coast remind me a bit like Richmond structurally... They have an excellent spine - McGovern, Yeo, down to Darling and Kennedy. Stop these overhead marking players and they can be beaten. We should win the midfield battle and having Elliot down forward and Roughead down back gives us more overhead marking options to compete with the McGovern/Kennedy types. And Beams makes a huge difference to our side too.
You must be spitting chips. Think with your brain instead of your heart.

I don't think it was denied, I just think it lacked any AFL financial support

I believe the clubs asked for the equivalent cost as compared to commercial as a subsidy - but that was denied

I still believe that a 100 seat jet - with 30-40 "Fly with the players" packages - could be made to work, however contradicting that - Nisbett is a savvy financial operator - so i daresay the numbers don't stack up.
We don,t need bloody jets. Our biggest advantage is Optus and the MCG configuration. This is where the Croweaters stuffed up.

Rewatched the game

One thing stood out glaringly second time around ...cox is useless unless it’s a perfect lace out pass to jump at

He cannot react to the game if he doesn’t mark it

I like him but I’d play him in the ruck more so he can get a feel for the game

Americanpies has spent the best part of 2 years calling WC flat track bullies so you can only imagine how apoplectic he must be right now.

Well apparently he did enjoy us losing to Gold Coast in round 1 though :think:

Massive game and I'm already looking forward to this clash next week on Friday Night. Pretty much a year to the day when the Eagles ended their hoodoo against the Pies, a run stretching back 23 years where they last tasted victory at the MCG vs the Black and Whites. Gaff gathered 30 possessions, Nit Nat went down doing his ACL as the Eagles fought off an early onslaught of Collingwood pressure and domination recording a famous scalp. Two meetings later and West Coast were premiers beating them in week 1 at Optus Stadium in the Qualifying Final, and again in the Granny 3 weeks later. Another famous road win, again at the MCG in round 3, the Grand Final rematch with Gaff B.O.G yet again. Both these sides will go into next weeks game with a lot to prove and massive confidence taken out of it by the winner.

Huge! Bigger than..........Texas

* cringes *

Back